Non-English versions and compatibility

Supa

Out of Cheese Error
With Civ-3, using English mods with non-english game were, at best, a pain in the butt. Folders mistmache, you had to rename all the folders, create a bunch of 'new' units linking to yours real flcs (ini tweaking) or adapting the whole mod.
I hope the structure system of Civ-4 won't be language based. And thus, I ask : Any news about this and the localisation of the game ?

yeah such issues suck in all games... i dislike it when people think everybody should speak english because its the "universal language", but i wish it was possible for them to never translate games from english ;)

No, it does not. Civ-3 was the only game where I've got this sort of problem with mods. Half-Life, UT, Neverwinter Nights, The Sims, ect, all worked fine whatever the 'nationalities' of the mods and the game. In Civ, it was the direct consequence of a poor design decision in Vanilla : Unit name = Folder name.

I hope they won't repeat such stupid error with Civ-4.

call to power didnt have compatibility with langagues other then 2 or 3. since then ive always gone after non translated games or english versions.

Why don't you play the English version Supa ?
Every Belgian youngster speaks good English and I thought we couldn't even buy other versions, it's ALL English in the shops ? I've never seen a Dutch version, really.

SonicX said:
Why don't you play the English version Supa ?
Every Belgian youngster speaks good English and I thought we couldn't even buy other versions, it's ALL English in the shops ? I've never seen a Dutch version, really.

I would and probably will but I wish you good luck if you want to find a game in English in store here at Luik. :sad: I don't count these random importations that come 3 years after the release date.

I envy you, Flemish, for that: 9/10 of your movies and serials on TV (and probably in cinema too) are subtitled, not dubbed.

Supa said:
I would and probably will but I wish you good luck if you want to find a game in English in store here at Luik. :sad: I don't count these random importations that come 3 years after the release date.

I envy you, Flemish, for that: 9/10 of your movies and serials on TV (and probably in cinema too) are subtitled, not dubbed.

I bought Civ3 in English at the FNAC of Liege ;)

Supa said:

Make that 10/10 if you exclude disney cartoons for kids :D
I defenately consider that to be a positive thing yes. Although, it's sometimes embarassing to find out that I know so many words in English for which I just can't find an correct Dutch word anymore :lol:
And those who don't know English are pretty much screwed, Dutch versions don't exist ...

But if you really don't find anything in English in Liège, why not travel to Maastricht or Tongeren (Tongres) ? It's not that far, and if you need some pc hardware, Holland is cheaper.

Although, it's sometimes embarassing to find out that I know so many words in English for which I just can't find an correct Dutch word anymore

Hehe, know that feeling. :D
I haven't seen any duth Civ version either, come to think of it, it's been ages since I saw a dutch version of any game for that matter.

Meh, we sometimes get the french subs as a bonus, thereby covering half the screen. :(

It's about time you southeners start to learn some other languages. starting with...hmmm..say...Dutch? :p ;)

Who needs Dutch ... be honest ;)
Sometimes the Dutch language is available however in multi-lingual games such as the EA Fifa series, although even then I stick to English.

And please, don't force the southerners to learn a language of a region that's soon to be a foreign neighbor :D

Pascal> So you're the one who stole my copy ? :D
SonicX> I'll probably take a look next time I'll go north. For cheap hardware, I've found a little but very ressourceful shop not far.
Alva48> Because you know French, I suppose ;) Nederlands is not the first choice for a second language in Wallonnie. I don't know if it's a bad thing or not. Generaly, it's the third choice, if any. Second language is probably chosen like that : 60% English, 40% Dutch.

Foreign neighbor ? Yeah, like that, we'll got two even smaller countries :rolleyes: Anyway, that's further more off-topic ;)

Supa, use my method : buy the localised version, download the original.

Akka said:
Supa, use my method : buy the localised version, download the original.
Euhm, that's a weird tactic...
I think a trip to the Netherlands, only 20 km away, is far better ... he could also get other stuff over there like electronics (-15 %) or food (coke -33 %) etc... or gas (-10%). It's all cheaper over there so it's worth the trip for him ;)

ps : Supa ... 2 smaller ones ? I don't mind joining our northern neighbor :p

Well, I'm living in the southwest of France, so travelling to the Netherland to get a game is quite not efficient for me :p
Of course, it's easier for a belgian, but why going a 20 km trip when you can just go to your usual store to buy whatever version is sold here, and download the english version ?

PS: Because the Dutch are willing to integrate you and all the Flemish agree ? Here neither the France or us would want to. :) [OT off]

Akka: Well, it's a solution I though of. But I'd prefer have the real deal in hands rather to have a immaterial ISO sitting on my HDs. Let's call it Plan B ;)

Because our internet providers don't give us access to newsgroups and have restricted upload bandwidth trumendously so that p2p programms like emule and such have become really inefficient to use ;)

Or you could always pre-order it or buy it off the internet ... if those French taxes ain't as high as ours, it might even be cheaper than buying it in a local store.

Top Bottom