1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-financial coastal cities

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by PartAnon, Jan 27, 2010.

1. UncleJJ

UncleJJ Deity

Normally I would start filling in the less attractive coastal city sites after CS allows chain irrigation and courthouses allow lower maintenance costs when the number of cities grows. For me any coastal site that can have 5 or more food is worth settling. However I treat these cities differently from you. They are not sources of commerce but cities for whipping and drafting, so I don't build a lot of economic infrastructure, no MGB and only a university if it's needed for Oxford. In fairness I only regard the coastal tiles as a way to grow the city between whips and the commerce is used to break even, I don't work them intentionally. If I was Financial and had the Colossus then they might be considered a source of commerce but without those benefits they are just a convenient working medium for the growth needed to support whipping.

In my last game I had an odd area with no resources, 4 grasslands and about 8 coastal tiles. I farmed the grassland (when many would have built 4 cottages) and whipped in granary, lighthouse and courthouse, followed by forge, barracks and eventually drydock. Whipping this city once every 10 turns meant I had a steady supply of units, 60 food in 10 turns is enough for a maceman or cannon and a draft. This carried on for about 200 turns, so this city produced about 10% of my military. The other advantage of settling these marginal cities is the increase in population which helps with votes. At the end of the game the city was able to whip out a battleship about once every 10 turns :) [drydock, PS, SP, forge and Kremlin] Not bad for some junk tiles that many would not settle.

2. yanner39

yanner39 Emperor

Guilty as charged. :blush:

I see what you are saying though. I once read a post where someone was commenting on a saved game. One thing that was mentioned was that one of the cities was settled one tile away from the coast that was not good. I don't remember the specifics, ie maybe there was a food resource or something.

Anyways, I will definately revise this. In my current game, I have a number of coastal cities I could have settled inland. Oops.

3. mirthadir

mirthadir Emperor

If you aren't in Rep and don't expect the GPP in this city to matter, coastal tiles are more efficient "storage" for pop than specs. Even the most marginal city can normally manage a two pop whip cycle with the temporary citizen(s) heading to the coast. Say you'd normally run 2 green farms and a spec (go with a scientist because they are almost always an option) while waiting for the next whip point. Instead you can run 3 coastal tiles.

6 :commerce: vs 3 :science: makes for more efficient food storage. If you make overlapping coastal towns you can alternate between farms in one while running coast in the other and vice verse (5 turn staggered whipping between the cities).

If you run corps, the coastal cities become no brainers. Infra gets hammered out from the corps, and you can either slave away corps food or run mass specs. With full trade routes, harbors, and custom houses you get the equivalent of several free cottages late game.

4. PartAnon

PartAnon Emperor

That's what was bugging me! Coastal commerce cities can be good, but when there are too many of them, whipping all of that infra turns out to be more trouble than it's worth (because it takes forever to set them up). But I still want to use the land. I'm definitely going try junk whipping/drafting units more next time.

That was the other thing, wanting to run specs in the brand new buildings but not being able to keep them because I needed them to whip more buildings.

5. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

Whether FIN or not, I like to find a couple of decent production sites on the coast. I don't even care if they have seafood, as long as they have enough food to work the BFC, and a bunch of mines. Life without a good naval production city just makes the game much harder, as far as I am concerned.

And a note in case there is anyone reading this thread that hasn't figured this out yet: if you have built (or captured) the glh, settle as many coastal cities as you can, regardless of how weak they are in terms of food/production. They're all winners with the bonus trade routes if you have either foreign trade or island cities. Even without island cities/foreign routes, you should be very aggressive about settling the coast, even if you space 4 tiles between the weakest sites (IE absolutely no extra food).

6. Bluto_Longneck

Bluto_Longneck Chieftain

Settling inland and finding a coastal spot with a couple of seafood is heaven for me. Usually your starting point is good enough to do anything you want, and a coastal city with lousy production, but nice food, can take away some of the burden from the capitol, by whipping settlers and workers. I want the capitol to build infra/wonders or use early specs, as early as possible.

If possible, a coastal site with 2 food-resources is when to plop down a "borrowing" town, that can use one of the resources now and again, and help you further with whipping and stuff.

I'm still working on it, but I want to figure out how to have 15 cities by 1AD, without falling down.
    I currently try to aim for 10-12 cities by 1AD, on Monarch level and try to find the right pace/tech/strategy.

Many times, even simple coastal towns, without seafood, helps me out.