Non-Interventionist President Launches Intervention

Did you sleep through last year?
I was awake just enough to hear Trump say we need to make torture legal. I also heard him say that we should have 'kept the oil' in Iraq. And how we need to stop being 'politically correct' about ISIS and finally beat them once and for all. And how we're being too 'politically correct' with the Muslim world. Doesn't sound much like a man of peace to me.

edit: He goes around insulting everyone, even our allies. Even in hindsight, he was, at best, a wildcard.

The 'rebels' are also doing questionable things. Why don't we also criticize them?

1) I do criticize Hillary. I didn't even vote for her.
2) I don't mind criticizing false rape accusers. But they are too statistically insignificant to worry about.
3) I do hate on Democrats.

Count me as one of the 'non-interventionist' Trump supporters.

Hopefully it stops here with a few missiles.

If Assad wants to gas his own people why should we care? He is better than whomever will replace him and we don't need any sort of escalation with Russia. We don't have the will to invest the time, treasure and blood to nation build a liberal democracy in the middle east. so we should just stay away.

I'm not even sure what you all are trying to say. The damage the United States has done to the rest of the world (which continues to happen even today) is far more than all the false rape accusations ever.

'Terrorist regime'? Is that a new thing? I thought terrorists were the bad guys with no country.

A piping hot take from both those on the left (i.e., The Intercept) and the right was that glorious leader Trump was a much lower threat than Hillary to intervene in foreign countries and attempt to remove leaders from power/nation build/whatever. In light of Syria, this would also lower the risk, however small, of "war with Russia."

Clearly however, that mindset was for ****s, because in the last hour, America has launched missile strikes on Assad military bases in Syria, in a clear attempt to begin to oust the regime, and the first official US strikes on state targets in the country.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politics/donald-trump-syria-military/index.html

Discuss how epic America is in this thread.

How epic are undeclared wars? How far back should we go?

Once again, Mr Trump delivers on a campaign promise: consistently unpredictable foreign policy.

We are a country that was founded on the principles of enslaving an entire race of people and wiping out the natives of the land. Even after we freed them it was not until recently until they were given equal rights. Even then they continue to face profiling and discrimination. In WW2 we took away civil rights from Japanese Americans who were completely innocent, put them in camps and interrupted their lives out of pure racism, and then criticized the Germans as if they were the only ones doing it. and these are just the local/domestic issues.

This is not even including all the times we bombed the crap out of OTHER COUNTRIES. Like in Vietnam where literally millions died. It was all on us. Don't even pretend it wasn't our fault. Or in Iraq. Or all the other places we bomb. In WW2 we dropped two atom bombs and killed hundreds of thousands of people at a time where Japan was completely defenseless. We annihilate countries just for money and power. We have also been corrupt and taken out governments that don't 'play by our rules'. The CIA overthrew a democratically elected government in Iran. I can give tons of examples. The United States of America is arguably the most evil country on earth.

Last edited:
I won't go as far to say terrorism against the United States is justified, but everybody hates us for a valid reason.

Nobody in the world has more 'weapons of mass destruction' than the United States, nor has anyone used it as much as us.

11:38 on the west coast. It's not THAT late. But regardless, as they say, 'Sleepless in Seattle'.

We are a country that was founded on the principles of enslaving an entire race of people and wiping out the natives of the land. Even after we freed them it was not until recently until they were given equal rights. Even then they continue to face profiling and discrimination. In WW2 we took away civil rights from Japanese Americans who were completely innocent, put them in camps and interrupted their lives out of pure racism, and then criticized the Germans as if they were the only ones doing it. and these are just the local/domestic issues.

This is not even including all the times we bombed the crap out of OTHER COUNTRIES. Like in Vietnam where literally millions died. It was all on us. Don't even pretend it wasn't our fault. Or in Iraq. Or all the other places we bomb. In WW2 we dropped two atom bombs and killed hundreds of thousands of people at a time where Japan was completely defenseless. We annihilate countries just for money and power. We have also been corrupt and taken out governments that don't 'play by our rules'. The CIA overthrew a democratically elected government in Iran. I can give tons of examples. The United States of America is arguably the most evil country on earth.

What is the actual argument you are making here? Do you think America should become isolationist as a result of its past sins?

Yes. Especially since we continue to commit sins even now. Maybe we would be better off leaving everybody alone. At any rate, with Trump in charge of all people, 'Isolationist' is the best case scenario.

Yes. Especially since we continue to commit sins even now. Maybe we would be better off leaving everybody alone.

That seems like an unrealistic desire given globalization and American reach in all corners of the globe. I also do not understand the argument that America would be better off if it isolated itself. A large part of American prosperity comes from its involvement in foreign affairs.

A large part of American prosperity comes from its involvement in foreign affairs.

But see, this is the problem. We have most of the rest of the world by the balls. We are rich, but it's at their expense. This isn't fair of us, don't you think? If you're rich because you're a bank robber, does that justify robbing banks?

As demonstrated in this very thread, among tons of other places both online and offline, even the 'liberals' in America don't understand how horrible we are. At least the conservatives, who just outright say 'let's bomb the sand ****** and get their oil" are more upfront and honest about it.

Nobody really said anything about justification. There simply isn't much of a point in shaking the "America is evil!" banner. You're better off doing your part to make America a more ethical participant in the international community instead of trying to tear the whole thing down. Trump's administration is doing a good job of showing the risks of tearing things down.

Nobody really said anything about justification. There simply isn't much of a point in shaking the "America is evil!" banner. You're better off doing your part to make America a more ethical participant in the international community instead of trying to tear the whole thing down.

Fair enough. I personally think that's a lost cause, but if possible, I'm all for it.

Trump's administration is doing a good job of showing the risks of tearing things down.
In what way?

well , well the American Colonial Governor must have read the signs that a NO is possible in the refereandum in Turkey and their greatest Project might suffer the first setback ever ; a dent on the claims that A-K-P can lose no straight race . In case this sounds too far fetched , didn't the week start with revelations that the Kurdish autonomous region in Syria would be declared after the fall of Rakka and Damascus rejecting to accept that ? You know , it's down to NCOs to declare that the Kurds are the best fighters they have ever seen in a long time and the gods of war even offered help to Damascus to reduce Idlib , no doubt increasing theit holdings at Afrin and the Syrians still rejected ? Well , America is still very compass-handicapped - they can't find North . And yet this "humiliation" of "Russian Air Defence" means another 10 000 or 100 000 dead . And the BSS aka the Orange Messiah says he is ready to watch when others cross the line . This becomes a fantasy of killing all Alawites ; either surrender to all American designs and see the war migrate elsewhere or engage decisively , it's you who keeps dying .

Top Bottom