Non-male Civfanatics Can Has Poll?

Civfanatics, what are your Gender Identifications?

• Male

Votes: 101 91.8%
  • Female

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Transgender

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Mixed Gender

• Asexual

• Other/Undecided

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

DarkestOnion

Prince
As a person studying Media Sociology, I have recently become curious as to how many people that play Civilization games are Non-Male? I say Non-Male instead of Female to include anyone who identifies their Gender as Non-Male.

Given the increasing inclusion of (for example) Female Leaders over the last few years, do you think we have sufficiently encouraged more Non-Males to play?

I personally only know 2 Females who play among dozens of Males. Is the ratio of 1 Non-Males : 12 Males truly representative of the breakdown of Civfantics? If not, what ratio have you seen?

Moderator Action: Threads merged, now with poll

I personally don't know anyone male or female that plays PC games. All I know are console plebs.

I know of three other people (in the flesh) other than me who play Civ 5.

Including me, the ratio is 3 males : 1 female.

If I can finally convince my wife to play it will be 3:2....

my wife laughs when hears sheep bleating but otherwise hates this game
i know no one liking this game IRL

Sheep bleating and the Italian Choir singing Terra Nova are the most obvious indications that Civ is on.

I'm in Texas and for some reason I know of no one in my personal life that plays Civ. Ironic even though it's such an iconus game. All my friends are console gamers

I am female. I would say I play pretty casually at the moment because I started playing a MMOARPG. Civilization V is what I play when that game is offline or I am tired of past-paced gameplay.

As a person studying Media Sociology, I have recently become curious as to how many people that play Civilization games are Non-Male? I say Non-Male instead of Female to include anyone who identifies their Gender as Non-Male.

Given the increasing inclusion of (for example) Female Leaders over the last few years, do you think we have sufficiently encouraged more Non-Males to play?

I personally only know 2 Females who play among dozens of Males. Is the ratio of 1 Non-Males : 12 Males truly representative of the breakdown of Civfantics? If not, what ratio have you seen?

I have made this New Thread and attached a Poll to get an idea of what the ratio might be as reflected here on Civfanatics.

I am female. I would say I play pretty casually at the moment because I started playing a MMOARPG. Civilization V is what I play when that game is offline or I am tired of past-paced gameplay.

I also play Civilization 5 when I need a Turn Based break from Real Time Action games. Great to hear I am not alone there.

In other news, I put a new and improved Thread on this Topic up with my first Poll, enjoy folks.

Moderator Action: Threads merged

I once met a girlfriend through Civ 5. She kept showing up (I thought as a friend) at my place with surprise food and conversation to share while I played. Eventually she was the one playing, and I was the one watching. When I complimented on her play, she asked me out on a date which was a very pleasant surprise. This came to mind when you mentioned that girls are better at Civ 5 HelloGoodby123, because she was a better player than I was a few years back.

I know 2 males besides myself that play, and 2 females. 1:1 ratio! But I'm responsible for all of them playing, so that may have thrown it off :)

the majority of players I have met are male, but that's the case with pretty much every game except The Sims.

I think it's that Civ is not the most accessible, upfront game, and women have been discouraged from gaming for a long time. A lot of women gamers are coming into console gaming and MMOs, the most popular stuff. Civ isn't exactly a first game, it's something you come to as you become an established gamer, I think.

It's not that I think Civ is inaccessible to either new gamers or a female demographic, simply that it hasn't hit that market yet. Civ V is really pushing away from that, though, it has been consistently one of the top games on Steam and frequently promoted in top game lists. It is a matter of time.

Transgendered gamers are seemingly rare, but I wonder about that. Many transgendered people don't disclose this openly, for personal and discriminatory reasons. Or they might be closeted or undecided. So I expect this to increase with social acceptance of transgenderism. I think there's more transgendered gamers than we realize, and more than a poll would let on.

I think in time, the diverse nature of Civ will attract a very broad demographic, but it will be drawn from the general gaming demographic. If the majority of hardcore gamers is male, the majority of Civ players will probably stay male.

Edit: Just to add, when I talk to women about Civ, the ones who have played a Civ game usually played Civ Revolution. I think that's kind of indicative, there's interest in Civ, but on a console level. It will take growth of the female/other gender demographic on PC to really make a change here.

I'm female, but I don't play Civ5. I play Civ4.

But I lurk here. (And I own Civ5 and all of the expansions.) Does my vote still count? ;)

I once met a girlfriend through Civ 5. She kept showing up (I thought as a friend) at my place with surprise food and conversation to share while I played. Eventually she was the one playing, and I was the one watching. When I complimented on her play, she asked me out on a date which was a very pleasant surprise. This came to mind when you mentioned that girls are better at Civ 5 HelloGoodby123, because she was a better player than I was a few years back.

i'm just saying theres this one player I play with online she wins every game, even if people war her she never gets behind, she usually eats up 2-3 players every game before ppl start quitting.

I am usually a tech kinda guy, I had an aztec capital of 40 and 3 cities each around 20, i had jungles everywhere, i had mountains in a couple cities, I beelined to the research labs, im here doing 1000 science a turn, feeling like finally my first time I have a chance to beat her(I kinda like to think of her as my arch nemesis cus I always try to bring her down) anyways I ask her how much science she is making, she says 1650 science a turn.....

I get satellites tech, she has like 8 cities all around 30 pop.... and my 8 xcom i used to try to kill her with pretty much die when she buys off my 2 mercantile cs dropping to -20 happiness and my xcom losing 40% strength lmao

Top Bottom