1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-Midas With A Vengeance - The Conquests Rematch

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Nad, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

This is a rematch to complete some unfinished business!

Remember this ?

It was a crazy and difficult game and we didn't quite make it, but I vowed to give Cathy some comeuppance (ooh-err ;) ) sometime in the future. Well, that moment has arrived, as the phoenix rises from the ashes and does whatever phoenix do...:)

This is a variant game, where the variant rule is that we do not have access to a treasury. At the end of every turn we may never have more than 10 gold, the starting treasury. At the start of a turn or during a turn we can have any level of gold, but before we hit "end turn" we must make sure we are below the threshold. This makes it very different from a standard game, as saving up, cash-rushing, mass upgrades, purchasing and large trades are a completely different ballgame.

More discussion on that can be found on the first page of the original game threadlink . The aim was to make the late game and a space race significantly more difficult, but we soon found that the whole game was very difficult, especially as we had a difficult start position. Let's hope for better luck this time ;).

The one point that cannot be emphasized enough about this variant is: REPUTATION IS CRITICAL.
    If we blow our rep we blow virtually any chance of succeeding, since nearly all trades will require per-turn components. We must be scrupulous at all times to protect our integrity in trade.

Details:

Civ 3 Conquests, patch version to be decided when the game is ready to start.

Difficulty: Deity
    Map: standard sized, archipelago, 70% water
    Climate, Rainfall, Age: random
    Barbarian activity: sedentary
    AI aggression: normal
    Victory Conditions: all open, our favoured aim is space launch
    Rules: no respawn, no culture-linked start

Civ: to be decided
    Opponents: Russia and 6 other random

Etiquette: flexible 24/48; I enjoy playing games with a relaxed pace

Signed up:

Nad
    Aggie

Maximum 7 players, so 5 available slots, though priority will be given to anyone from NMT 1 that wants to have another crack.

Let's hear ya!

2. Aggie

Aggie Deity

Just posting to confirm! I want revenge after the dreadful loss of so many cities :D

Edit: I like to be agricultural, and as a second trait seafaring, commercial or scientific :)

3. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

I'm pulling myself out of my No SGs for this one. I want a rematch! (Can we reroll if we end up with a start like the first one?)

I'm in.

4. Aggie

Aggie Deity

I'm with Stuck on this one Nad. I know that you hate rerolls, but the first one was quite, ehm, difficult because of the start.

5. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

Signed up:

Nad
    Aggie
    Stuck

The problem with reloading for a decent start is defining what a decent start is. Some people won't accept a start unless they have a river, or bonus food, or luxuries, whatever. So where to draw the line?

I think if we get a really bad start (loads of tundra/jungle/mountains) then maybe we should have another start, otherwise we should take it, but we'll see and can discuss it.

BTW, please also register a vote for civ choice.

6. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

Lets see... we're cheap, frugal, and give stuff away. What about Joan? Or perhaps Liz? Expansionist would be nice, especially with the ability to grab more of the much needed land. I'll go with Liz (and it guarentees us an ocean due to seafaring)

ALso, would this be in 1.15beta?

7. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

We'll decide the patch once the game is ready to start.

8. Elvis1985

Elvis1985 Warlord

if the game isn't full already with the original players, I'd love to take a shot at this.

9. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

Elvis1985: if you are comfortable playing a game that is close to or beyond Sid in actual difficulty, then you are most welcome to join :)

You might want to read through the first game to find out the sorts of difficulties we had. Just be warned: this is not for the faint of heart!! :eek: :D

If you do wish to join, please give your thoughts on the civ choice.

10. Aggie

Aggie Deity

These are my votes for agricultural civs:

1. The Dutch - They are almost perfect for an archi map! We will have the possibility to be a broker between different civs.

2. Iroquois - Commercial is very handy. This increases gpt and allows us to do more on loan.

3. Sumerians. They extra tech every age is priceless. Other combinations (seafaring/commercial, seafaring/scientific) also look good to me (don't know the civs for that).

Looking at the new value of Philosophy (free tech), I think that we should try to get it first. I managed to do so in all my games so far (demigod).

11. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

I quite like the sound of the Dutch or Sumerians - seafaring will be great for an archi map, scientific could be very important. Also, both are new civs and I haven't played them yet.

12. Elvis1985

Elvis1985 Warlord

I've read through the thread of the previous game attempt, and see that this indeed will no easy task (didn't think of the non-upgradability of many units yet). Still, if you'll have me, I will do my best to help out in making this game a victorious one.

On civ, I would definitely pick seafaring as well. As for the second trait I think either Agricultural (more food = bigger cities = bigger income), Commercial (bigger income) or Scientific (to sell techs for gpt, or otherwise trade them for others so we don't have to spend gpt to buy them) would be good.

13. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

Signed up:

Nad
    Aggie
    Stuck_As_a_Mac
    Elvis1985

3 spots left.

14. kryszcztov

kryszcztov Deity

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame on meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!! :cry:

Ahem, well I was sometimes wondering if you would actually give this one another go as promised. But I'm now finding myself a little bored with SGs, and I'm almost not playing Civ3 at the moment, due to the beta processing. In fact I'm not playing computer games at the moment, except my turns on an 8-player PBEM (1 turn every 5 days :D ), and some dumb games when I'm bored, that I end after 1 hour or so (to have a feeling of some modded games or some maps...).

So I won't play this revenge game, but I'll be interested to see if you succeed this time. :) I'll be coming by from time to time.

Oh, I forgot : GOOD LUCK !!! :eek:

15. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

No shame, Krys!! It was a team game, so please stop blaming yourself!!! :)

It is good to hear from you and I hope you enjoy reading this attempt. Thanks for the goodwishes, we'll definitely need a little bit of luck. :D

16. kryszcztov

kryszcztov Deity

Those cries were a bit of laugh too... :lol: It was a team, yah, but I had a part of the responsability in our defeat. Now don't think I've been having nightmares about that game for 6 months... :D

Well, as I said, I'm quite bored with the concept of the succession game, I even retired from mine several days ago (KRYS03, still going on and doing pretty well since I left) ! :o But I remember the 1st non-Midas game as a good one to play, I mean the team was good and the people were nice. :) Now there are other (maybe) better ways to meet friendly people... think MP... :evil: I may start doing some MP in some weeks, after an official patch has come.

17. T-hawk

T-hawk Transcend

I'd just like to toss in that Agricultural is actually not that useful on archipelagos. In Despotism, you only get the extra food for cities on fresh water, and archipelagos tend to have less of that, as there's less room for rivers and lakes. Same for the desert food aspect, as 'pelagos don't get large areas of that. I'd probably suggest the scientific/seafaring Byzantines, especially with that godly seaborne UU.

18. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

Add to that the lovely Theodora ;) :love:

EDIT: were you just making a suggestion or would you like to take part also?

19. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I would like to join you all and try this game. It breaks my limit of 4 SG's, but I want to play it (I feel like I am giving Madbax competition on most games played :rolleyes:, though I think Charis has us both beat).-++

20. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

Signed up:

Nad
    Aggie
    Stuck_As_a_Mac
    Elvis1985
    Greebley

Any thoughts on the civ, Greebley?