[NFP] Non-Unique Recon Units

Do you use non-unique recon units for anything other than scouting? Are there advantages to Skirmisher/Ranger that I am just not seeing? I never build them.

If I'm having a laugh of a game where I am far ahead, I enjoy the spec ops just because they can be parachuted in. But I'm talking about using them against musketmen or whatever. They can also be useful for parachuting in to disrupt access to strategic resources, but I think if you are using them in this capacity against a viable opponent they will be liquidated before they can do any serious damage.

To be useful in combat, they need to have the Ambush promotion, but getting to it seems to be hard and not really worth the effort compared to levelling up other, stronger units.

Skirmishers and Rangers are completely useless. If you need to scout in the Medieval or later, your old Scout can do it (if it survived), or you can use an actual military unit. I'll often send a Horseman, which is a fast unit anyway.

Spec Ops is very niche but at least occasionally useful. You can paradrop them behind enemy lines to pillage some oil, and the spec ops is even tough enough to possibly make it back out. If the AI ever used Balloons / Drones, taking them out would be another use for spec ops. But Skirmishers and Rangers, those just have no valid use. I can build a Skirmisher or, for 20% more production, I can go for a Crossbowman, which has +1 range, +10 melee and +10 ranged strength, and a promotion tree that's useful for actual combat scenarios. It's a no-brainer.

I can build a Skirmisher or, for 20% more production, I can go for a Crossbowman, which has +1 range, +10 melee and +10 ranged strength, and a promotion tree that's useful for actual combat scenarios. It's a no-brainer.

This. Furthermore, you can use the feudal contracts policy to make crossbows have -50% production.
To be useful skirmishers should already have 50-60% less cost than crossbows. Skirmishers have the advantage of being able to potential see/move through rough terrain faster. Other than that it's a complete loss to crossbows.

I'll use recon units to steal settlers, bait shots from walls, pillage, or block off choke-points, but I generally don't build any after the initial 2. If any scouts survive by the time I unlock skirmishers or rangers and I happen to be in a spot to upgrade them (extra gold, in friendly territory, running the discount upgrade policy), I will try to get some use out of them, but I don't prioritize it. Light cavalry are just a lot better for mid-game exploration and pillaging, with their extra movement and ignoring zone of control.

Scout unit tree is yet another example of existing core mechanics in need of overhaul.

“untargetable by ranged attacks” would be an interesting mechanic. Carentan! :sniper:

Top Bottom