1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nonbinary Gender Option in Personal Details

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by AriaLyric, Mar 21, 2021.

1. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

I think it would be nice if a specific "nonbinary" option was added to the gender options on the personal details page. As is, the option for people who identify as neither "male" nor "female" is "unspecified", which from what I can tell functions exactly the same as "do not display", as people who choose "male" or "female" have that show up next to their posts, but no such text shows up for me having selected the "unspecified" option. I think that all already-present options should remain, and a new "nonbinary" can be added which will show up in the same place next to users' posts as "male" and "female" already do.

As for the avatar of people who have not set up a custom one, which currently shows a ♂ symbol for people who've selected "male", a ♀ symbol for people who've selected "female", and a ? symbol for people who've selected "do not display" and "unspecified", the nonbinary option should also show a ? symbol. (I'd suggest a ⚧ symbol if I wasn't sure that getting an image of that symbol in the same style would be too much work)

If this is done, I'd say this text at the bottom of the Personal Details page should be deleted:
    The reasons being that the text would be made obsolete.
    Also, the wording of this message just makes me uncomfortable as is - it seems to imply that a transgender woman shouldn't just choose the "female" gender option, for example. If the nonbinary option isn't added, I'd at least like to see this changed to something like "'Unspecified' is the option available to nonbinary people" or "'Unspecified' is the option available to people who do not identify as 'Male' or 'Female'."

As a final thing to mention, I think it would be nice to add another option to display the pronouns one prefers (without putting them in the signature :p), or maybe to replace the gender options with pronoun options and have all people without custom avatars get the ? avatar, although I'd imagine the former would be too difficult to implement to be worthwhile and the latter would be too controversial.

Uberfrog, Francel and Evie like this.
  2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Thank you for the suggestion.

Have added Nonbinary to the list of gender options and changed the description text. Please let me know if further edits are needed.

3. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

Thank you so much! It would also be awesome if it could show up in these places too where "Male" and "Female" already appear, if it's not too much trouble of course (^_^)

Spoiler near the top of the Personal Details page, just above "Date of Birth" :
    personaldetails.png
    Spoiler to the left of posts :
    sideofposts.png

4. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

That may take me a little longer to figure out. The first screen shot is the result of scripting in the site software and I'm not great at that. The second results from the first, so some research is needed to figure it out.

As a result of trying to make this happen, we found that the gender is listed twice and so that needs to be sorted. I am not the technical admin, but will do my best.

The_J, Evie and AriaLyric like this.