nonconquest population win strats?

I was just kicking around different ideas. Strats or harder victories or different victories. And im wondering if anyone ever tried nonconquest population wins.

Im thinking of prosueing population with the same intensity and insane focus that cultural victories get. [we breeded our way to victory!]

Anyone think its possible to get early population victories without the use of a military campaign?

Seems like its worth a shot. The +health civic will be the obvious best choice since hapiness can be fended off with culture after theaters. Organized expansive?

I guess it would essentially be carving out a huge territory then figuring out how to lay cities down to maximize its carrying capacity putting down lots of irrigation and then holding up until you popped your way to victory.

You might have to manipulate the AI opponents to do it though [same difference as rolling the dice until you got lucky]. One or two of the more growth oriented ones could make it impossible to get to 55% without a military campaign. [if its even possible!]

I kind of wish the game could identify subtypes of victories.

Things like:
-no conquest population wins. Cannot attack cities at all(not even to raze). If one is handed to you via culture expansion it must be razed. (thats this post)
-the axis: cant exceed 20% of the world population or territory before 1700AD but then must win by domination.
-no military no barbarians victory. Any unit you have is turned into a explorer. You may not make military units that dont carry other units. GL~ I dont think this is possible in civ4.
- 3 city challenge. Similiar to one city challenge but the can make all national wonders only after they appear in all 3 cities. Cultural victory is enabled

They all sound interesting to attempt to me.

How can you win a population win? Domination needs the biggest pop, but it also needs the most lands. That is the big obstacle to domination, not population. It's really easy to go over the pop bar in the domination win, you don't need a lot of planning to do that. But if you only focus on population you will be crippled an all other aspects of the game.
Are you talking about a possible mod?

This thread is giving me a headache. So is your grammar.

How are you going to settle 60% of the land in the opening stages, and hold it with no military units until you win? The AI will look at your power rating and will invade sooner or later. Or, maybe you're thinking of getting your populations so high you can vote yourself into the UN. Either way it's a stupid idea.

I had never really delved into the mechanics of domination besides just keep taking cities. I didnt realize the population and land area were seperate victory conditions.

Now you wrote:
"How are you going to settle 60% of the land in the opening stages, and hold it with no military units until you win?"

This left me took back a bit since the 4th bullet point is:
"3 city challenge. Similiar to one city challenge but the can make all national wonders only after they appear in all 3 cities. Cultural victory is enabled"

Now crimso if your cleverly combining the first and second bullet point into one statement then you read it wrong and I blame the author for that. However I blame the reader for not immediatly stoping at the point where they thought they read about a domination victory with no soldiers and 3 cities total. At that point I would stop and think "hmm i wonder if i misread this somewhere" but i think thats my excellent practice with no grammar giving me an advantage.

But alas in the end I guess the author sucked for not making it abundently clear that he wasnt talking about a domination victory with 3 cities and no army~

To be clear I had started this thread after thinking about "Alternate Victory Conditions" Note carefully I didnt write "Alternate Victory Strats". But in my pondering about "Alternate Victory Conditions". I asked hey "how come nobody goes all out on population to get a domination victory?" The answer it turns out is because you need the turf to go with the population otherwise yes it might be possible.

Now you might ask what exactly is this crap about no units and 3 cities? These two sentences started a change of topic:
"I kind of wish the game could identify subtypes of victories.

Things like:"

But clearly you needed a big long wordy introduction to the change of topic like this to spell that out. And thats my fault im sorry. At that particular moment I was getting back to the thinking that brought me to this now useless "alternate strats about domination". And that thinking was "alternate victory conditions"

Youll even note I wrote it in the sentence with a slight turn of phrase:
"I kind of wish the game could identify subtypes of victories.

Things like:"

And now having been properly introduced, the 4 bullets at the bottom should make more sense to the reader. In those bullets im suggesting alternate victories to shoot for in your play and pondering whether they would be worth trying.

They are each distinct from each other.

So anyway I let you down! For that im sorry but im sure i have cured your headache and confusion about how to get a domination victory with no units and 3 cities...

I still have no idea what the **** you are talking about. Did you cut out (frequently misspelled) words you wrote on a piece of paper, throw them all into a hat, then pick them out at random? I mean, look at this:

This left me took back a bit since the 4th bullet point is:

I'm pleading with you, jeremiahrounds, stop writing! The language cannot take another beating. Right now we're trying to pump it full of air so its cajones pop back out. Do you know how much suffering you have caused?

Crimso said:
I'm pleading with you, jeremiahrounds, stop writing! The language cannot take another beating. Right now we're trying to pump it full of air so its cajones pop back out. Do you know how much suffering you have caused?

I'm pleading with you, Crimso, give jeremiahrounds a chance to share his idea. Please keep in mind that many people here are not native English speaker. If his writing/grammar giving you a headache, skip this thread.

Btw, I can understand him just fine. I think his idea is doable on the dual, tiny, and small map. Basically, he wants to pursue a peaceful domination victory.

Moderator Action: Crimso warned for profane trolling. Stop it now.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Jeremiah, I salute your efforts. Nonconquest domination is an interesting challenge, much like one city challenges. Both interest me because they seem contrary to what usually transpires in Civ games (huge empires forged in blood).

It is possible to do without military and not have the AI invade. Obviously easier on lower difficulties, the tools are there in culture and diplomacy to assuade the AI from war.

@jeremiahrounds,

For some tips on how to do it, check out this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=160946

Even with one city, the culture border was almost half of the map. With 3 cities and a farm of great people (artists), I'm sure you can win without any problem. Btw, the two Mongols were in my game, but they never attacked me. In some of my games, other than the initial starting warrior to help keep my people happy, I built no military unit.

Also, check out this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=162648

It seems to me that some players are going for a domination victory. Since it's an OCC, how is it possible? Perharps through Permanent Alliance?

Crimso said:
The AI will look at your power rating and will invade sooner or later.

Someone recently played a game without building a single military unit and one a diplo victory. I can't remember who it was or where to find the thread though.

Top Bottom