Noob asking - animal myth/story/stories system, other misc Qs?

Blazenclaw

eccentric eclectic
Hey, first time C2C player here - I'm totally blown away by how much work has gone into this mod, and the experience so far!

I've just about reached the classical era on this game (SVN v9648; should I be updating it while I play the game, or will that incur instabilities? And, if there is a better thread to post questions in, sorry!). So far there's only a few things I can't figure out:
  • First, I don't really understand the animal myth-story-stories setup. From how I understand, animals can make a myth of that type ("Bald Eagle") or general type ("Raptor" or "Bird"). This gives a tech bonus only to the city that has the original myth?
    • With later tech, you can then upgrade to "story" or "stories", the former of which is not civwide but rather city based? (Haven't gotten to library, so don't know about stories) Why is this - it seems weird/arbitrary.
    • How does building myths/stories from a city fit into this? Why can I build a myth of spotted animals, say, despite never seeing or fighting one, and furthermore, it seems like I'm only able to build a subset of the stories available?
    • Basically, I just don't understand the intention of the system. It's kinda like a cool minigame (one that can give you a pretty tech lead early in the game if done well), but the overall system isn't very clear to me.
  • Second, occasionally some cities won't have the ability to build a wonder (maybe buildings as well, though haven't noticed this) despite seeming to have all the prerequesites. Furthermore, it does not appear on the list of construction options even with the hidden buildings toggled; for some reason it doesn't seem to be there in the first place (I attached an image from one of my cities that should be able to construct the Grand Earth Festival; not only does this particular city have all the prereqs according to the both the civlopedia and the mouseover text for another city that cannot build it, but other cities in my empire can construct it).
    • Spoiler :
      Earth Festival.png
  • I happened to notice that the National Horse Breeder cannot be built in the same city as a Horse Herd - that doesn't seem to make any sense?
    • Spoiler :
      Nat'l Horse Breeder.png
I'm certain I'll have more questions as I go though this game, though, at snail pace it's somewhat... daunting. Once more though, I really have to say how impressive this is, and thank you for all of this awesome work!

3. Building the National Horse Breeder in a city with a Horse Herd or a horse herd in the vicinity is a waste. The purpose of that building and those like it is to cover the case when you have horses but not in the vicinity of any city. It gives you the chance of eventually building tamed horses and spreading horses to all cities later. Something you would can do if you have horses in the vicinity. At the time it was designed C2C did not have auto buildings. It could now be changed so that the building is only available when you don't have horses in the vicinity of any city.

1. Myths were designed to simulate the stone age burst of discovery. The story versions are where the :science: is converted into education or the remembering of old knowledge and represents the move from oral to written traditions.. The Story is city based. The Stories building basically gives a free Story building in every city.

2. unknown by me

Top Bottom