1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Noob Question - 6 Cities or as many as i can fit?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Ronan, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Ronan

Ronan Chieftain

Hey,

Should i concentrate on building up a few quality cities or fit as many towns into the land i have? Also, when i conquer another civs city, under what surcumstances should i just burn it down. I always take it for myself :D

Thanks

2. weimingshi

weimingshi Prince

build as many cities as your commerce can afford. at beginning even 6 is too much. late game with a strong commerce, you can have 100 cities if you want.

3. G Julius Caesar

G Julius Caesar Warlord

In answer to your second question, one circumstance to take onboard is can you afford to take on the newly acquired city? Like in the reply above, you may only want to take on cities that your commerce will allow you to (that is can you sustain the science %age you want with the gold reserves and minus gold per turn you may incur).

Sorry the answer is not very clear cut as it also depends on what your overall strategy is.

4. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

More is better if you develope your cities.

If all your cities are developed then there is really no limit.

5. MasrTheEgyptian

MasrTheEgyptian Warlord

I really don't understand how can commerce limit ur city building plans

6. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

Every city costs a maintenance fee to have. The more money you're spending on maintenance, the more you're losing on research. If you fall too behind on research you won't have a way to win the game, or you'll be destroyed by superior military.

Keep in mind that there's two parts to maintenance - distance and number of cities. Even if all your cities are right on top of the capital, every city's "number of cities" maintenance will go up. So the increase in cost can be quite drastic. You can't just look at how much that city is costing, it has an effect on all cities as well.

7. Swedishguy

Swedishguy Deity

It's a good idea to build 3 cities if you are going cultural.

8. automator

automator King

Because of city maintenance fees. There's a cost involved both for the number of cities and for distance from your capitol (or Versaille or Forbidden Palace). I've gotten city maintenance fees of 15 or more ... and if that city is only pulling in four gold, mutliplied by the percentage actually going to tax ... the city is a money loser for your empire.

9. Swedishguy

Swedishguy Deity

In CivIII it was actually a strategy to build as many undeveloped cities as possible.:crazyeye:

10. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Personally i wouldn't stop to build or conquer cities unless i have met the magic number of 8 cities (MARATHON) so i can build all the national wonder.Before 8 cities i wouldn't consider my empire full anbd i wouldn't advise you to build an empire which don't have the number of cities necessary to build oxford univ, wall streeet, shakespeare theater and so on

11. gdgrimm

gdgrimm Prince

That number is dependant on map size, not game speed.

But yes, that number is a good gauge of the smallest an empire should be.

You could probably still win with fewer, but it's going to be difficult.

12. sirtommygunn

sirtommygunn Emperor

make as many cities as u want hell make 50 of them it sure wont help u but hey 50 cities
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. sirtommygunn

sirtommygunn Emperor

delete delete

14. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

Hi all I'm new here on the forums and this is my first comment in a thread.

I think this is obvously a difficult question. I have played the game for a week now on Monarch, i started the first few games with some 6 cities, slowly expanding afterwards, which worked very well for techs and commerce.

The last game i played i played in typically civ3 style expanding to the max neglecting other things, tech rate dropped to 20% at some point but with improvements i got it back to some 50-60 % (which is still low) reasonably soon. Now in modern era i have 20 cities and tech is back to 80-90 % i guess i have some 6-8 cities more than i would have than when expanding slowly, these cities account for 25% of my commmerce only. I have a lot of resources though.

So i guess slow expansion is better more so because the AI's don't expand very quickly on Monarch level, curious how this works out on higher levels.

15. Swedishguy

Swedishguy Deity

16. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

No it isn't :) , still i feel that also on civ4 expansion before borders with other nations are fixed is crucial (more so because i almost never go to war) so i will try this some more but not as i did now with several 1 sized cities that cost me alot of money.

17. ElJojo

ElJojo Chieftain

As long as you recover it's ok. It can be a good strategy. In one of my best games I hit 0%, had units on strike, almost lost my capital to barbarian because I lacked units for even basic defense. I Had conquered three neghbours and the continent was mine. I slowly recovered and by the time the other civs on the other continents got astronomy, I was way ahead of them in science commerce and army.
    Don't be afraid to lower your science rate, as long as you can recover. And 20% of 1000 is equivalent to 80% of 250. Your science rate in itself does not mean much if you don't know the base commerce.

18. Swedishguy

Swedishguy Deity

I like to be at 100-80% all the time. Well, I don't expand so much.

19. MasrTheEgyptian

MasrTheEgyptian Warlord

I did have that feeling that Sid was hiding something after he finished the tutorial :)

20. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Well then you wont survive on higher levels. You need to go much lower then that.