1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Noob questions - how to win on Regent?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Praesidian, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Rosschild

Rosschild Chieftain

@Flintlock: Thanks for the 'smiles' answer.

@Praesidian: As promised, Welcome to CFC! [party]:band:

2. Flintlock

Flintlock King

York? I'd put it in Dover if I were him, less overlap with the original core. Or better yet, doesn't vanilla have FPs act like a second core? If so, wouldn't it be better just to wait until India or France is conquered and place it there?

3. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

I chose York because it would be able to build it faster, and because he could always jump the palace.

4. Flintlock

Flintlock King

London is already in a pretty good position, and building the palace somewhere else would just waste time. The whole point of placing it in York would be to save time.

5. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

I meant building the FP in York, then conquering some stuff, and relocate the palace in the new land.

6. Rosschild

Rosschild Chieftain

I agree with Flint. Why not just wait and build the FP in the newly conquered land instead of using the shields to build it in York and then using the shields to build the palace? I can't imagine that corruption/waste are terribly bad at the moment anyway, or at least building the FP in York won't help the situation terribly much.

Of course, it could be arranged to abandon the capitol and have the palace jump to the newly conquered land, but this might be a bit exploitive...

7. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

...or you can use a leader. My way, you get the benefits of a FP now, and you get a potential double core, rather than the 1.5 you get with Flint's method. You also get the FP faster.

8. Rosschild

Rosschild Chieftain

Fair enough Tomoyo. I would have said you could use the Leader to rush the FP just as well, but you probably know more about this type of game mechanics detail than I do.

But to get back to helping Praesidian improve, I'd think, as has been pointed out, that there's a whole lot of irrigation going on there and the cities probably have more food than they know what to do with. Changing some of that back to mining (or not changing it in the first place?) may aid in any production issues.

Looking at the screenshots, I'm wondering how many workers you have? Probably more than I end up having, but maybe a lot less than how many I'd like to have ideally. Perhaps you can put all that extra food to work by creating workers who can in turn change back some of that irrigation to mining and increase production?

9. Flintlock

Flintlock King

I hate arguring just for the sake of argueing, but there's no garantee that you'll get a Great Leader, I don't think I've ever gotten a leader before a industrial ages, there simply isn't enough units involved in the war.

@Ross, this is helping Praesidian, in some strange indirect way :mischief:

10. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

So, in conclusion, we can correctly state that your way is more conservative and my way is more dice-throwing. :)

11. Flintlock

Flintlock King

excellent, conservative in the RL;
    convervative in the civ world;
    where to go from here? :hmm:

12. Rosschild

Rosschild Chieftain

I'd think that's up to Praesidian.

So how 'bout it Praesidian? Provided we didn't scare you off, anything else you want to ask? Any of that help you at all? (Mostly what Tomoyo and Flintlock said. I'm still getting comfortable with Regent, same as you.)

13. Praesidian

Praesidian Chieftain

This is great, thanks so much. Going to take these tips under consideration and probably start a new game, or at least go from the first save I have in this game.

BTW - how do you abandon cities?

14. Rosschild

Rosschild Chieftain

In vanilla, I'm not sure. In Conquests, if you right click on the city, Abandon City is one of the options. This may be the case in Vanilla as well (at least as of 1.29). Otherwise, I suppose you could always starve it down and build a settler/worker...

15. Rosschild

Rosschild Chieftain

If I may make a suggestion, maybe you want to play the game out a bit more. Maybe try to ramp up production in your empire a bit and try to take that saltpeter and ultimately India. Then see how you feel. I only suggest it because I have a tendency to give up on games too easily when the going gets tough, and I believe I'm cheating myself out of opportunities to improve.

But like I said, it's totally up to you. The important thing is that you're having fun. If you think it'll be more fun to start a new game or replay this one from an earlier point, by all means, do so. :)

16. citizen001

citizen001 Banned

Um, Praesidian, are you automating your workers? because it looks like from the screenshots you are. usually when you manage workers it would be better to stack workers to increase efficiency.

17. Praesidian

Praesidian Chieftain

Nah, I did it myself through almost all of my empire, and then when there were just a few squares here and there left, I put them on automate, leave existing improvements, just to finish off the stuff I may have missed.

18. citizen001

citizen001 Banned

Oh, then in future put them on automate not altering the improvement you've done yourself because if you don't the automated worker are likely to completely change the landscape including irrigating grasslands.

19. oagersnap

oagersnap Emperor

I think that's what he is doing:

20. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

I'm with Rosschild on the issue of tech research. Go deep rather than broad (unless you really need a tech you're one node away from on the tree), and if you're losing wonder races, prioritize the techs that give you wonders--don't become too obsessed, though, as you may lose shields if you lose the race, especially if someone else buries a cascade.

And yes, do build a FP--FP is a must for any far-flung empire--and build it far from your capital or you'll be defeating its purpose.