Noob's first Monarch game

mihoshi

Chieftain
I am near end of my first game on Monarch level on middle-sized earth map. It seams harder than Deity level of Civ2... I played as Persians and began from north Africa, wiped Zuluses from south Africa and shared Aravia (and oil there:) ) with England (South Eurasia) and Babylons (North Eurasia). When I got Tanks I began war with Babykonians (I wanted theirs 6 Wonders). I won Europe, but...

1. Babylonians soldier is not problem. Problem is Babylonian CIVILIAN!:mad: They keep flipping their former cities. But also they flipped my cities on the other side of map! Even my seconf capital with FP! Just because I joined some babylonian workers to that cities... And it continues about 15 turns after war already...

Some things helps against it... Combat units in cities (about dozen), blitz building of culture buildings, joining my citizens to enemy city...
Also I noticed that if I reload and prevent flipping then that city goes to disorder. May be, disordered affects flipping?

2. Good use of city you can't hold is to sell it to your ally or present it to some weak civ. I sold one city two times in two turns for 200+ gp/turn total. English were paying me for long time after that city was razed:) Also selling/giving to someone with ROP is better than razing city because you can use railroads near this to reach other enemy cities.

3. You can retalate enemy naval forces with very little building of your own fleet. Just build artillery/bombers for bombing from coast and some subs for coup-de-grace.

4. Map form is square:) So actually vertical distances on map is much more than visually same horizontal distances:)

Maybe it helps any other noob:)

If you've got a problem with foreign civilians, just starve them to death. Works like a charm.

EDIT: if you're interested in how you can best avoid (or induce) culture flipping, check this calculator by anarres.

Good job, I just moved up from monarch to Emperor. In the middle of a game right now.

Originally posted by mihoshi
*snip*
2. Good use of city you can't hold is to sell it to your ally or present it to some weak civ. I sold one city two times in two turns for 200+ gp/turn total. English were paying me for long time after that city was razed:) Also selling/giving to someone with ROP is better than razing city because you can use railroads near this to reach other enemy cities.

*snip*

Since when can you sell cities anymore? I thought that was an exploit they patched...is that [civ3] 1.14 or earlier?

1. Babylonians soldier is not problem. Problem is Babylonian CIVILIAN!:mad: They keep flipping their former cities. But also they flipped my cities on the other side of map! Even my seconf capital with FP! Just because I joined some babylonian workers to that cities...
"Just because"... Adding Babylonian workers to recently captured Bab cities? :crazyeye: I think most Civ3 players would find that to be a gamble on monarch level.

Some things helps against it... Combat units in cities (about dozen), blitz building of culture buildings, joining my citizens to enemy city...
Also I noticed that if I reload and prevent flipping then that city goes to disorder. May be, disordered affects flipping?
You're right about some of those:

How many units do i need to suprpess a culture flip?

The full formula (this is from Sorenson, who is responsible for this programming):

P=[(F+T)*Cc*H*(Cte/Cty) - G]/D

where:
P = probability that it will flip this turn
F = # foreignors, with resistors counting double
T = # working tiles under foreign control (out of the max of 21, no matter what the cultural boundaries are atm)
Cc = 2 if foreign civ has more local culture than you, 1 otherwise
H = .5 for WLTKD, 2 for disorder, 1 otherwise
Cte = Total culture of the foreign civ
Cty = Total culture of your civ
G = # garrison units
D = factor based on relative distance to capitals

Now reorganizing this gives the required garrison as:
G = (F+T)*Cc*H*(Cte/Cty)

As you can see there is a nice set of extra factors there. Now when you take a city Cc is likely to be 2 for a long while. And then there is the culture ratio. And this is a true ratio so it could be 1.1:1, 2:1, 5:1 depending on how much culture each of you has

The national culture factor is probably the reason why some seem to have no problem with culture flips and others do. Since if you have strong national culture, this value might be approaching 1/2, which can keep the garrison down at a 1:1 ratio. However, if conversley the AI civ in question has double your culture, you are going to need 4 units for every foreignor and tile to prevent a flip.

From the thread: Frequently Asked Questions on the General Discussion board.

Thanks Capt Buttkick.
I added babs to former zulu cities.

To xxaaaxx - yes, it was original Civ3, some old version.
In C3C it's seems they value my cities negatively:) They don't take it even for free.

Top Bottom