1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NoP NESII: The "New Imperialism"

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by #1 Person, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Insane_Panda

Insane_Panda Deity

I apologize, #1, some last minute things came up last night. I'll send them soon.

2. germanicus12

germanicus12 First Citizen of Rome

Am I France? I have both orders ready, if I am Canada, that orders will be sent, but if I am France those orders will be sent.

So which am I now?

3. Insane_Panda

Insane_Panda Deity

#1, my stats do not have a navy in them. Orders coming within the hour.

4. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

So is the update coming tomorrow? I'm dying of suspense!

5. #1 Person

#1 Person The Cow

Germanicus12 can be France!

I was/am working on the update throughout tonight off and on. It should be done fairly soon.

6. germanicus12

germanicus12 First Citizen of Rome

So I assume I am not sending orders?

Oh well gives me time to read over this and find out what kind of trouble France got themselves into.:p

7. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

send orders Germanicus, you probably still have some time.

8. #1 Person

#1 Person The Cow

SEND THE ORDERS! I am not quite done with the update, so as long as you aren't invading everything, it will all be okay.

By the way, the French National Assembly will reject all offers for the sale of the colonies so far put forward.

9. BEHIND_THE_MASK

BEHIND_THE_MASK A Liar... A Cheat...

Back, and glad to see I didn't really miss any important things...

Good luck everyone.

10. #1 Person

#1 Person The Cow

Update One: The Silence in Europe
    January 1 - July 1 1880

Transvaal, UK- The Boer War
    January 3, 1880

Many observers view the silence in South Africa as a view of new peace, however it really shows a massive disorganization of British Troops. At the end of last year, they had the initiative, managing to start to make major gains, but so far this year, there has been no organized aggressive verse Transvaal. The Transvaal is similarly confused, as they now seem to have the initiative. Whether they will have the ability to successfully launch a full scale assault is another matter. Since last year, they had a difficult organizing a defense, critically short of both divisions and funds, but this British lull might be exactly what the need.

Ottoman-Armenian Problems
    January 13, 1880

Despite the famous multicultural aspect of the Ottoman Empire, there has been reports from their Eastern cities, particularly Trabzon, Erzurum and Malazgirt, massive waves of Muslim refugees flood in over the Russian Border. This is creating continual ethnic strain with the native Armenian inhabitants, who are seen as supporters of the Russians. There are scattered reports of violence against then, with at least 150 confirmed deaths, almost entirely Armenians, so far. Russia has denounced the Ottoman Governments lack of control, telling them to “end the violence”

Japan-A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Korea
    February 21, 1880

A Japanese expedition to Korea was almost laughed/cryed out by Korean Authorities, as the Japanese attempted to open the country to foreign trade, something that has already been accomplished by the unequal “Treaty of Ganghwa” in 1876.

Transvaal, Orange Free State, UK- Massive Offensive
    March 3, 1880

Using the UK's inaction to their advantage, the Transvaal Republic, allied to the Orange Free State, have launched a massive campaign into the Cape Colony. The Orange Free State started the offensive, driving straight down into South Africa with 3 divisions, over-running the small Garrison of 1 division stationed on the border. Cape Colony forces continued to fall back, and seem to plan on making a stand around Bloemfontein, as they hope to receive British reinforcements from Cape Town will arrive there soon. At the same time, three divisions from Transvaal arrived in the Eastern portion of Cape Colony. However their success was far more limited, as the British expected an attack and had a well entrenched position around Durban.

-1 Transvaal Division

USA- John Henry was a Steel Drivin' Man
    March 11, 1880

A new surge of railroad companies in the United States has begun spurred on by a massive subsidy package for the railroad companies, in the form of labor and tax subsidies. For the largest railroad company, Union-Pacific, this is effectively reducing it's taxes by 50%, prompting a massive rise in stock price. Although right after the instrument of subsidies many new companies sprouted up, these were quickly bought up by more well established companies, or simply driven out of business by “dumping”, flooding the market with tickets for passengers and goods clearly below the cost of upkeep. Union-Pacific simply has been buying up other massive railroads, most notably Central-Northwestern, and Chicago-Northwestern. Already wages for these workers are being reduced, and workers are unionizing, which might lead to further trouble.

Italian Congo River Company

A recent, well funded expedition to the Congo successfully established a small port, called Vittorio. Reports from the region indicate that the native people in the area are fairly pleased, due to the trade of tools and medicines in exchange for food and rubber.

UK, Russia, Ottoman Empire - Britain Supports Ottoman Empire, Russia Pissed
    March 13, 1880

Although it is no secret British Support for the Ottoman Empire during the Conference of Berlin in 1878, a scandal has developed after an anonymous member of Prime Minister's Benjamin Disraeli's staff stated to news sources that Cyprus was transferred to Britain in a formal agreement against Russia. Russia has responded with strong rhetoric against the Ottoman Empire and the against Benjamin Disraeli, saying that “he legitimizes crimes against fellow Christians.” This all occurred right after the arrival of a British Military Mission to the Ottoman Empire which began a overhaul of the organization of the Ottoman Army. Although they were intended to also revolutionize the equipment, lack of funding means that it will have to wait.

Italy- The Roman Question
    March 30, 1880

When Rome was declared the capital of Italy in 1861, the status of the Papacy was in question. Pope Pius IX famously called the Papacy a “prisoner in the Vatican.” However yesterday King Umberto I declared that Italian troops would end their occupation of the Holy Sea, and to allow the Pope free control. Celebration was held throughout the Catholic World, particularly Italy and Spain.

+ 1 Italian Confidence

Siam, Laos- Siamese Attack
    April 2, 1880

Siamese Forces, lead by a European commander, battle the Laos Military

Siam began a massive campaign into Laos. Although they relied on surprise in the crossing of the Mekong River, the buildup of 4 divisions on the Laos border was noticeable, so the Laos Military was able to mobilize and entrench around Vientiane. Even though during the initial assault the Siamese were at a tactical disadvantage, their superior weaponry, supplied by the British, where quickly able to out do the Laos military, armed in some cases with muskets. They managed to take Vientiane without much difficulty, but they haven't gotten hold of the country yet.

-4 Laos Divisions, -1 Siamese division

USA- Stocks Close at Record Highs
    April 27, 1880

The New York Stock Exchange closed at a record high today, mostly due to the huge increases in the values of Union Pacific Railroad Co., and Baltimore-Ohio Railroad Co. The stock market has increased 50% since last year, spurring on massive investments from middle and upper classes. In addition, the government unveiled a new subsidy package for petroleum companies. Reductions in interest rates issued by the Federal Reserve have allowed a new style of investment, where people get loans from banks and use the money to invest in the stock market. However, the lower level working class have yet to receive much benefits from this increase, and they have remained stationary while the middle class and upper class are moving up. This rift is driving inflation and some fear that their bubble might burst.

+ 2 US Base Economy

France- Fallout from Proposed Sale
    April 28, 1880

After the French President Jules Grévy recent announcement to foreign diplomats earlier in the year about the plans to sell off integral parts of the French Empire, there has been increasingly harsh rheteoric against the current administration from all levels of civil service. Most notably the Commander for the military offensive in Cochin China, General Faure said “the bloody president is a fool!” The bidding has closed, but the National Assembly has called a joint meeting with the Senate to discuss this and, most likely, over-rule the President's Sale.

Ottoman Empire, Bulgaria, Russia- Eastern Rumelia Affair
    June 1, 1880

Map of the Balkans

A massive military buildup is starting between the Ottoman Empire and Bulgaria in Eastern Rumelia. Bulgaria started in first, moving all of their forces almost onto the border itself. The Ottoman Empire was forced to respond equally, mobilized more of the army and sending 6 more divisions to the Balkans, bringing the total force in the region up to 21 divisions. Russian has yet to respond to defend it's fellow Slavic state.

Danes Land at Papa New Guinea
    June 12, 1880

A Danish Expedition landed at Papa New Guinea, claiming the entire Eastern. But, without any sort of funding, the colony has colony has no real effect, and currently is only a drain, increasing military upkeep costs.

+ 1 Danish Guinea, + 1 Danish Military Upkeep

France- Sale Doesn't Make It
    June 14, 1880

The controversial sale of French Cambodia and French Guiana was summarily rejected by the French Legislature. Out of the 307 representatives in the joint meeting, 276 voted against the measure. This vote is effectively a vote of non-confidence against the current Coalition, as members of the Forum for Social Republicans, a right wing party with 23 seats in the national assembly, left the “Oppertunist Republicans” coalition, making it have less than the majority. President Jules Grévy, and Prime Minister Charles de Freycinet have meet and are considering disbanding the government and holding new elections, as they are increasingly finding that they are unable to pass any legislation.

-2 French Confidence

UK- Sir George Pomeroy Colley Calls for Reinforcements
    June 28, 1880

Boer Soldiers ready for engagement

Outside of Bloemfontein earlier last week, the Three Divisions from Orange Free State launched a massive attack against a Cape Colony position consisting of 2 Cape Divisions, supported by a few British Battalions. After over 3 days of almost continuous battling, Orange Free State emerged victorious, completely whipping out a cape colony division. The second division managed to withdrawal. Around Durban to the East, Transvaal has essentially begun a siege, bombarding the city and the defensive emplacements, consisting of about a division of British troops. Further to the south, Transvaal and Orange State troops managed to push into East London, easily overwhelming the cape division stationed there. With almost ¼ of the UK's force in the region eliminated, with another division tied up by a siege, the commander in the region, Sir George Pomeroy Colley, has requested urgently an increase in troops as well funds to raise a larger local force.

-2 Cape Colony Division, -1 British Division, -1 Free Orange State Division, -1 Transvaal Irregular Division, -1 Base Cape Colony Economy

Spoiler Map, July 1880 :

Black dotes are fortifications/troop placements

11. #1 Person

#1 Person The Cow

Administrative stuff:

To nations that weren't part of the update, don't feel sad! When stats come out, look at your national descriptions. I will mention key facts about your reforms/expansions/etc there.

I decided to decrease the amount of Infantry divisions 1 eco can buy from 3 to 2. Simply to prevent countries from tripling there armies in one turn.

People who failed to send orders:

Canada
    Germany
    France
    Russia
    Austria-Hungary
    Spain
    Ottoman Empire

This is very bad. Germanicus has switched from Canada to France, but failed to send orders from either of them. Russia did outline very roughly via a IM conversation what their plans were, but they were certainly not orders.

However Germany, Ottoman Empire, and Austria Hungary have no real excuse, and they are extremely important countries. As such, I will open them. The former plays can re-apply, but only do so if you know you are able to send orders again, and you swear you will get them in. I have no problems with a country like Canada not sending orders a couple of times, but the fact that essentially all of main-land Europe didn't send orders if very frightening.

I would like to applaud Switzerland, Futa Jalon and Transvaal for their early orders, as well as there very nicely formated orders (USA has the best of the latter).

Map and Stats coming by tomorrow

12. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

OOC: Excellent update, #1. I really hope the major countries will either be filled with more committed players, or get their asses in gear as I'm really enjoying this Nes. Keep up the good work!

To: British Empire

End this war before you are ejected completely from South Africa. We are willing to negotiate a peace treaty. If you fail to respond, every British soldier in Cape Colony will die.

13. BEHIND_THE_MASK

BEHIND_THE_MASK A Liar... A Cheat...

I must applaud your work Comrade... You had little to work with in terms of orders and the update is well written. Good job.

TO THE FOUL LAOTIANS
    FROM THE MOST HOLY SIAM

Laotian delegates, listen and hear our offer.

The Armies of Laos have been crushed despite your best efforts. The war is nearing an end and as it does the ever present chill of the musket looms as we near. We have come to offer you terms which we believe are most fair.

- Laos shall join with Siam. All Laotians will be declared citizens and protected by Siamese and Laotian work.
    - The Laotian (Remaining) Military will disband 2 Divisions and the remaining 2 Divisions will form new Divisions for the Siamese Armies. The Laotian Divisions will be allowed to act as a garrison for Laos so as to stay near home with their families and homes/farms.
    -Laotian Farmland has so far gone relatively untouched. We of Siam will not sieze Laotian farmland and the people may farm as they wish however they mabe given a choice to learn modernized Siamese farming and if they do so 1/3 of the harvest is to be present to us.
    - All Laotian and Siamese Prisoners of War will be released. The dead will be buried with full honor.
    - Laos will not have to convert to the Siamese State Religion.

Tme is running short Laos. This is the only choice which will spare you and if you do not agree then it is feared that many more lifes will soon end - Laotian lifes.

14. a_propagandist

a_propagandist The Light Brigadier

There will be no peace until there is a peace dictated by British pens. That you have the audacity to threaten us is already a kick to our dignity. We cannot allow such atrocities and illegitimate attacks to go unpunished. We are setting a precedent here. One that is to show that such illegal actions will be punished to the utmost. British guns will cease fire and peace will be reestablished at the status quo. We WILL effect pre-offensive borders with reparations.

However, we offer a more lenient peace to the Orange Free State, as they have a history with cooperating and prospering with the British.

OOC: If the Orange Free State is friendly with Britain, why are they attacking me?

15. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Scourge of God

STOP THE PRESSES!

Germany is open? Why is Germany open? I'm the new German player! Shadow von Boundstein!

Yeah.

16. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

To: British

We will accept nothing less than negotiations. Pre-offensive borders are unacceptable. Our nations require, at the very least, an outlet to the sea. Mark my words that unless you comply with this small request, you will never have stable control of South Africa. You chose this war when you violated the treaties of the past, now you must live with the consequences. We can be good allies and friends or bitter enemies, you decide.

17. jalapeno_dude

jalapeno_dude AKA Panda Judo Eel

lurker's comment: Great Update!

18. a_propagandist

Can you not expand to the East? Instead of picking a fight with the British Empire, you could have gone to war with the Portuguese. We commend your sense of judgment. Of knowing which fights to pick. However, could you not have offered to purchase land from the Portuguese?

19. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

Excuse me? You were the ones who violated the Sand River Convention. You picked the fight. Give us what we want, end the war and you shall have us as a friend.

20. a_propagandist

If we gave everyone what they wanted, we would not be an Empire. You know we will refuse to give up land that was British-held before the war. If it is access to the sea you want, you could easily have gained that without war. Instead, you chose to assault our holdings. Instead of seeking a peaceful expansion into uncontested lands, you chose to attack us. We will enforce our borders by arms if necessary. This is more of a ploy to push us out of South Africa than it is to gain a seaport. Your only choice of gaining entrance to the sea is to expand to the east and west. It merely depends on how much British lead you are willing to absorb to learn that lesson.