North Atlantic Archipelago Mod/Scenario Underway

Originally posted by gael
Your still working on this?

I thought you'd given up. Sorry about not getting back on those leaderheads. I don't have poser anymore, although if your making it for conquests you've got some good looking euro heads in there.

I think they have a new patch coming out thats going to fix a load of stuff with the coruption and all the rest, so i'd wait for that as everyone will upgrade to it.

Are you going to use this boy? He would be good for an invisable unit in the modern ages for sneaking in there and distroying infrastructure etc without declaring war. You could call him 'Paramilitary soldier' or something like that.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46135

I've had a look at the .biq, its looks good, although I think some of the cities are two cramed, especally around capitals.
Maybe my eyes decieve me, but do the picts and french have dinosaurs? The english are starting off with fighter planes too.

Anyways, I'm really looking foward to this. Keep us updated.

thanks gael your leaderheads are all quality and I've included the lot in this scenario. 'Bout the starting units. I know some people think the Picts were a primitive society but dinos would be taking that a bit to extremes :). You need units.pcx file that I use to see the actual starting units (it's posted just before the biq file).

Bye the way I also have that Brewery graphic in the game already- mines a pint of "Gael's Best", thanks for asking.

I haven't any plans yet for developing this scenario beyond the middle ages but I just might - but would you guys wait that long- I've only been at this thing for about a year already:)

Oh and what do you think of the new title (Dark Age Battle of Britain) I've given the scenario? You probably won't like it because it has the "B" word in it -sorry 'bout that.

Originally posted by Yoda Power
I dont remember if I have postet in this thread, but if I havent then i just want to say im looking forward to play this:goodjob:

About Denmark: You shouldn't have civs called Jutland and Denmark, as the Jutes actually was the first to be called Danes. Also Padborg is wrong placed and Esbjerg was first founded in 1850 or so. You should add Ribe a few sqaures SE of Esbjerg.

:)
You are the very man I need to talk to Yoda Power. I need to pick your brains about Denmark's history (and geography). I couldn't find any reference to Danes being Jutes or vice-versa and I've looked - the history of Denmark was more murky than Irelands and that saying something (no offence). I was never confident about putting the Jutes in there and I knew that I would probably get called on it by someone - and here you are ;)

I assumed that the "Danes" had migrated from somewhere around Sweden and merged or pushed out the native inhabitants of Jutland (I have just chose to called them Jutlanders because that's a nice generic name that you would give to inhabitants of Jutland). I guess my assumptions were tied in with the view that Jutes were a distinct people that among other things formed the kingdom of Kent in England.

Ok, now to the bit where you can help. What I don't want, for gameplay reasons, is to plop a single civ (let's call them the "Danes" for now- because I definitely want Danes in this scenario) on Jutland without anyone to stand in their way in the early game. I do want 2 "tribes" on Jutland. The start time of this scenario is 600 A.D. so do you have any suggestions for dividing Danes into two groups? The history books tell me that Harald Bluetooth unified the country that we would now call Denmark but this was hundreds of years after 600AD so who was standing in the way of unity?

Sorry for the long posting but I hope you can help me out of my historical black hole.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the city placements I need that sort of info for Jutland.

I'm posting this to preempt any comments on the Tribal Confederacy government type which I've just changed so you have an update before I post a new biq. I also have a question about communal corruption.

Government Details:
*Prerequisite Tech: None
*Corruption: Communal
*Free Units: Town(5), Cities (0), metropolis(0)
*Rate Cap: 5 (limited scientific research)
*Work Rate: 2
*Assimilation: 4
*Draft: 2
*Police:2
*Rush Build: Forced Labour (nae money in those days)
*War Wear: HIGH (to reflect difficulty in keeping together a coalition of tribes).
*No tile penalties
*Forced resettlement: ON (to account for disgruntled tribal leaders who don't want to be part of your confederacy taking their people/warbands elsewhere).

-------------------------------------------------------
Question:
Anyone know exactly if communal corruption is the worst? Are the corruption options on a continuum or is communal corruption in some way different? -What I was looking for was corruption to be shared in all cities so they are all equally bad as each other instead of the normal effect where corruption steadily increases the further you get from your capital.

To help me develop this scenario I used a spreadsheet. It was a great aid to me and helped clarify my thoughts. Some people might prefer to look at this than the biq and in that way they can give me some comments or suggestions about the scenario.
Basically, it lists the units that I've added to the game as well as laying out the tech trees - in fact this is the only way to see the tech trees until I fully upload all the files.

Here's the civilopedia (actually it's a truncated version to stay within the file size limit).

See, I have been working on this scenario all you doubters ;)

It's not complete by any means but there's a lot in it already (races & units).

Again please give me some feedback.

Originally posted by KingArthur

You are the very man I need to talk to Yoda Power. I need to pick your brains about Denmark's history (and geography). I couldn't find any reference to Danes being Jutes or vice-versa and I've looked - the history of Denmark was more murky than Irelands and that saying something (no offence). I was never confident about putting the Jutes in there and I knew that I would probably get called on it by someone - and here you are ;)

I assumed that the "Danes" had migrated from somewhere around Sweden and merged or pushed out the native inhabitants of Jutland (I have just chose to called them Jutlanders because that's a nice generic name that you would give to inhabitants of Jutland). I guess my assumptions were tied in with the view that Jutes were a distinct people that among other things formed the kingdom of Kent in England.

Ok, now to the bit where you can help. What I don't want, for gameplay reasons, is to plop a single civ (let's call them the "Danes" for now- because I definitely want Danes in this scenario) on Jutland without anyone to stand in their way in the early game. I do want 2 "tribes" on Jutland. The start time of this scenario is 600 A.D. so do you have any suggestions for dividing Danes into two groups? The history books tell me that Harald Bluetooth unified the country that we would now call Denmark but this was hundreds of years after 600AD so who was standing in the way of unity?

Sorry for the long posting but I hope you can help me out of my historical black hole.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the city placements I need that sort of info for Jutland.
For some odd reason Denmarks history have never been a major interest to me. But I know the basic stuff.

Jutland were really only a group of similar tribes. I dont know the exact political situation by this time, but they certenly werent united.

sorry I cant be more help for now.

I'm not too deep into Dark Age Danish history either, and there's a reason this is called a 'dark' age. But that continental authors place 'Danes' in southern Jutland during this period need not necessarily be in conflict with Saxo's belief that the Danes only controled the northern bit at this time, with Jutes and Angles to the south. Ethnic terms are rarely applied with any excessive precision, and it seems perfectly possible that 'Danes' may have refered to both all the tribes from Slesvig to Blekinge, and to a single tribe or smaller group of tribes centred on the Islands and northern Jutland.

Something similar was definitively true of 'Swedes' during the Viking Age - it sometimes clearly refers to the inhabitants of a fairly small area around Lake Mälaren (then a gulf of the Baltic Sea), and sometimes equally clearly to those of a much larger area encompassing most of modern Sweden, incl the Götar.

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
I'm not too deep into Dark Age Danish history either, and there's a reason this is called a 'dark' age. But that continental authors place 'Danes' in southern Jutland during this period need not necessarily be in conflict with Saxo's belief that the Danes only controled the northern bit at this time, with Jutes and Angles to the south. Ethnic terms are rarely applied with any excessive precision, and it seems perfectly possible that 'Danes' may have refered to both all the tribes from Slesvig to Blekinge, and to a single tribe or smaller group of tribes centred on the Islands and northern Jutland.
Thanks for the info. I'm swinging with Saxo as it means I don't have to make many changes to my scenario i.e. I keep Jutes and Danes as distinct groupings (Danes to the North and Jutes to the south). I may weaken my "Jutes" slightly (start them with 3 settlements instead of 4).

I think it would more sence just to call them South Jutes and North Jutes.

I think it would more sence just to call them South Jutes and North Jutes.

That could work but I had them going along different unit lines as so:
Jutes: Raider --> Militia --> Royal Bodyguard
Danes: Viking --> Bondi --> Huscarle
plus Danes get the longboat.

Maybe I'll just remove Jutes from the scenario altogether and put a lot of barbarian camps in Jutland along with the Danes in the middle and norh of the peninsula (their capital can be "Jelling"). I suppose at least the Frisians that I have in the game will also try to expand into Jutland and give the Danes something to think about.

You could also make Denmark/Jutland a civ that covers the whole area, then give them somekind of handicap. Like a wonder that produces unhappy faces or something like that.

You could also make Denmark/Jutland a civ that covers the whole area, then give them somekind of handicap. Like a wonder that produces unhappy faces or something like that.

I don't want to handicap them too much as eventually I want to see them raiding and conquering parts of the British isles. They will be handicapped enough by initial isolation and high numbers of barbarians.

:(
Does no one else have any feedback for me (don't leave it all to Yoda Power). Are you all waiting for me to post the "big one"?

I don't have the time to become involved in a big way in any more projects, but I follow this one with a certain interest.

Having no Jutes I think would be sad, on account of their role (or traditionally alleged role) in the Germanic takeover of most of Britannia.

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
I don't have the time to become involved in a big way in any more projects, but I follow this one with a certain interest.

Having no Jutes I think would be sad, on account of their role (or traditionally alleged role) in the Germanic takeover of most of Britannia.

Well they're sort of in the game still. By 600AD there was the well established Jutish kingdom of Kent. Plus I've got plenty of Jute barbarians now as well as a Jute settlement on the Isle of Wight.

I think it's best to remove them for there isn't much historical basis for their inclusion - by 600AD the inhabitants of Jutland were known as "Danes"; although it does seem plausible that Danes and Jutes were distinct groups who did come into conflict, the Jutes were pretty much absorbed by the Danes in 600A.D.

I hope I'll see benefits in the game too with a powerful Danish civ that can really do some damage.

Does no one else have any feedback for me (don't leave it all to Yoda Power). Are you all waiting for me to post the "big one"?

I have downloaded the files yesterday, but didnt have much time (nor I will for a couple of days) to check it more carefully... although what I saw for now seemed quite good...

Originally posted by jorde

I have downloaded the files yesterday, but didnt have much time (nor I will for a couple of days) to check it more carefully... although what I saw for now seemed quite good...

thanks jorde if you get time for a detailed look I'd appreciate your feedback.
I've got to the stage where I 'm just tweaking things for gameplays sake but suggestions and feedback are always welcomed.

It's probably best if I just carry on and get something finished that can then be posted in its entirety.

I'm still hoping for an Anglo-Danish Huscarl to be made and some wonder graphics and I need to complete the civilopedia.

My feedback is limited when it comes to stats, this was my first mod/scenario idea, and i have'nt taken the time to get my head around those details.:crazyeye: So i'm pretty useless in that field.
Yoda is good for that sort of info, all i can give you is broad ideas, if you still need them, its been a while.;)

Just to clear it up, is it just a darkage/middleages mod/scenario, (I always have difficulty defining those two), or are you going to bring it into the modern age?

Anyways, have you played the DYP mod?
If you want this to be a stand out effort you could learn a lot from playing this mod.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19742
It sets a standard man that nobody has come close too.

This is going to be a good one, don't rush it and have everyone hanging on to patchs hoping it will get good.

Take your time.

I'm drunk now, but let me know what i can do graphics wise, (I don't have poser so leaderheads are out), and i'll help as much as i can.

thanks jorde if you get time for a detailed look I'd appreciate your feedback.

OK, what I saw of it looked quite nice... the map is pretty well done, even with those changes you needed to do in order to make Denmark a bit bigger...

Now, the thing about Denmark seems fine to me.. I've been doing a bit of research, and nothing clear appears about Denmark's history, but some things for sure are that the Jutes migrated to Britain from there, and there is also the fact that Denmark seemed to be inhabited by many different tribes, which seems to be ok to put them under one Civ and call the the Danes..

And then I have a question about some of the cities: where are some older cities (from the Roman period) supposed to be? Especially I noticed London (or Londinium) wasnt there, so I was wondering what happened with it in this scenario...

Top Bottom