1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NOrth Korea threatens to nullify armistice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Slobadog, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

And yet I get the impression (perhaps it is mistaken?) that the living standards of the average South Korean are immeasurably "better" than those of the North.

How do you explain this?

2. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Capitalism > Communism?

3. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Actually North Korea started out quite well in the 50's.

4. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Well I learned north Korea is actually a swell place from this thread. All praise to glorious leader.

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I don't understand this cult of personality thing.

Mind you, North Korea isn't alone.

There's the Queen of England - who seems very popular with ~70% of the population (no one seems to know why) - and she seems to do even less than the glorious leader of PRNK.

And there's all that celebrity culture (world-wide). Again, no one seems to know why.

Or is it some deep-rooted human need?

6. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

I doubt this would be tolerated in DPRK.

7. Neomega

Neomega Deity

I have mentioned many times South Korea got all the good farmland, and North Korea was bombed into the stone age and sanctioned.

8. Neomega

Neomega Deity

Hmm, good question, huh?

9. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

And yet, after partition, North Korea did quite well economically.

What happened?

10. ace99

ace99 Deity

Industry was concentrated in the north ever since Japanese rule. South Korea was the backward agrarian peasants where the Communists were stronger.

The North Korean economy continued to be better off than the South's until some point in the late 70's and early 80's when South Korea really took off.

Around the time the Soviets fell there was the loss of aid, cheap fuel and plus some terrible flooding which caused a massive famine. And everything continued to go to hell since 91.

11. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

12. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

It seems to me that if you want to be a stable and prosperous industrialized country that imports food, then screaming "I'll kill you all" repeatedly might not be the best way to go about it. It can't all be the Stalinist/Communism that's freezing relations with the rest of the world. China is doing quite well at building stable trading partnerships sans the constant death threats. That probably has something to do with it.

13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Neomega is also forgetting that North Korea did their best to wreck South Korea as they forcibly annexed it. But since North Korea isn't an evil imperial power like the US I guess that's ok.

14. Neomega

Neomega Deity

Forcibly annex it?

Who is exactly "South korea" You act as if it was some old held state rich with its own customs and traditions. It was a puppet set up to crush communism, and it crushed it soviet style, in rivers of blood and re-eductation camps. Nothing sacred about it. Nothing democratic about it, nothing anything about it except the farce it was.

It was a military dictatorship, hell bent on crushing the will of the people, and executing and imprisoning hundreds of thousands of South Koreans who did not obey their new imperial masters.

And I love the part where a plebiscite was called, to vote on the unification of Korea in 1950... ...and those representatives from the north sent to negotiate the plebiscite were thrown in prison. Good one puppets of freedom! That's when North Korea saw what a hypocritical shell South Korea was, and invaded them. And it's not like there weren't already rebellions across South Korea trying to oust their new imperial masters.

15. Neomega

Neomega Deity

What would you suggest?

I'd suggest sending mobboss there so he can use his troll-fu skills to balloon up his post count while evangelizing to the heathens on CFC.

Laying down your arms, and embracing the Untied States?
    After all the United States has done across the world for decades?
    After the United States called your country "the axis of evil"

The Koreas are still at war, and that's about as much negotaition as there is going to be. The United States has done its best to isolate North Korea.

And, I don't know why this keeps getting forgotten, but the United States has been threatening North Korea with annihilation for decades. The United States has been telling North Korea "I'll kill you all" for decades, and almost succeeded until China intervened.

16. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

17. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

NO INTERFERING IN INTERNAL KOREAN MATTERS AMERICAN IMPERIALIST PIG DOG *froths at mouth*

18. Gen.Mannerheim

Gen.Mannerheim Grand Moff

Whut? :confused:

You seem to forget that North Korea has been bringing this on themselves since the beginning. It was the North Koreans who ambushed the South and started the war. It was the North Koreans who refused to sit down and meet with UN officials to end the war. Heck, even the North Vietnamese were willing to talk and they were doing far better going solo than the North did on their own. India and Pakistan, which have religion thrown into their regional hate, are willing to at least talk, even if they don't get anything done. Both modern China and Russia look on North Korea as an embarrassment and an inherited responsibility from the Cold War. I'm pretty sure that there are officials in China that wish everyday that Mao didn't intervene in the Korean War. They are the smelly kid in the corner shooting spitballs while China is trying to build themselves as the major power in the reason.

19. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Russia doesn't really view DPRK with much sense of responsibility. It does receive North Korean gastarbeiters(Russian language borrowed that word from German) who cut wood in Russian Far East.

20. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

THEY'RE BEING PUNISHED FOR DARING TO STAND UP TO THE VILE AMERIKKKAN IMPERIALI$T PIG DOG SCUM *froths at mouth*