1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

North Korean Missiles Can Hit Mainland US

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Perfection, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

The US would surely loose a war against a China-backed North Korea. They lost the previous Korea war because of China, at a time when China was much weaker than today. The US would have no noteworthy allies and a political situation at home where such a war is unpopular and where the president could conceivably be overthrown.

2. red_elk

red_elk Deity

NK had substantial Soviet support back then, to be fair.
    But generally yes, Chinese military support can be a game changer in current circumstances.

3. rah

rah Deity Supporter

In all fairness, didn't china agree to sanctions in the past and then basically ignored them after awhile.

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Don't be too sure that the war will be that unpopular, given the establishment democrats are full into war as well.
    That said - no, the US cannot win any war right now. It isn't as if it will occupy NK either. So what other option is there against a side with at least a few nukes?

5. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Us population may be able to stomache a war with nk but i don't see it able to go sfter nk if nk is backed by china

6. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

It is not Americans to decide. North Koreans will invade the United States to occupy its soil, oppress its people and force everyone into red communist dystopia. Just as they've predicted in all these notorious games, movies and literature.

The only move here is to nuke them, before they do it. And it is not Americans to decide, it is Kim himself has chosen to be nuked with all his zombified subjects.

God is with you, America! Nuke them to protect the freedom of this planet!

7. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

The issue has nothing to do with NK threatening the US or god or freedom or something. The only problem really is that Trump promised action on NK and foreign policy crises divert attention from incompetence in domestic policy. So he will turn up the heat even though his advisors probably told him that war is the worst outcome. So brinkmanship it is.

8. Kyriakos

It would be good if a reasonable majority of US citizens ever becomes less warmongery or pro-war. It is a major problem, allowing your potuses to drag us all to oblivion.

9. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Which sanctions, what date, do you mean ?

There were so many actions the past 60 years since the armistice.

10. red_elk

red_elk Deity

I wouldn't count on rationality of people who elect Bush Jr. or Trump as their president.

11. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

China is not the only one that is doing unusual statements.

Angela Merkel stated today in a press conference that she offered her help to de-escalate the situation.
    She pointed out that the UN and negotions would be the way to go instead of rhetorics.

12. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

No, I would not. Thankfully though, we have the Joint Chiefs who can try to influence his decisions and drive them down a more strategically sensible path.

As it has been with our policy since the Cold War.

13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

We did not lose, unless you think the intent was to conquer North Korea. Considering the lines were about where they started, I'd call it a stalemate. True, we lost a lot of ground to them, pretty sad considering how ill equipped they were. The U.S. military wasn't in the greatest shape in those days either. It has changed quite a lot. The equipment they were using was pretty outdated in many cases. The military wasn't exactly using cutting edge stuff. After WW2 the military really went downhill fast.

This is an interesting statement. Why do you say this? Because we are already in a conflict? The military is setup to fight 2 regional conflicts. Granted, North Korea would be a full blown war. We can and would win without a doubt. It just wouldn't happen in the first year. It may take years (the actual fighting, not the post war stuff) to win, and I'm not sure the American public would be okay with that. It would be no cakewalk like Iraq. I say over a year because it would take a long time to recover from the initial strike, the military is slower than in 1950, so it will take more time than it did in 1950 to regain lost ground.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  14. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

is that meant to make us feel better about the situation?

15. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Well, I dunno.

I can remember Vietnam.

16. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Just another land war in Asia.

17. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Aleksey_aka_al and Kyriakos like this.
  18. Kyriakos

If there is any NK nuclear strike (even at Japan, which apparently they certainly can nuke) it won't just take 1 year to recover. Nor if they can nuke a US city. For starters it will be chaotic; recall how the US reacted to 9/11, which had the casualties taken in Syria in a week (?). A nuclear hit against the US will see that country go full crazy, and terminally so. I do hope there is no escalation, but who knows by now...

19. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

And I thought of Fallout. It's almost like a case of plagiarism.

Btw, why the site is down? Have they struck already, or is it Russian hackers, or the locals hide their suicidal idiocy from the rest of the world?

Iron curtain or nuclear annihilation? :lol:

20. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Use your friGate to sail through :)