1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

North Korean Missiles Can Hit Mainland US

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Perfection, Jul 29, 2017.

1. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

That does seem implausible, but I doubt they just make 125 USD per month (before Kim's share). I would assume their median wage to be as much as 5-10 times that amount, give or take.

2. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

was based on this site, a reliable site so far I know for most macro economics
    https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/minimum-wages
    and this conversion rate
    http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=60&From=RUB&To=USD

EDIT
    living wages for families and individuals are by that same site 5 times as high as minimum.
    But those would be average from all wages, from top to low end wages.
    If laborers from NK get that, they are subsidised by Putin.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  3. red_elk

red_elk Deity

My estimation was about the same - it would require hundreds of thousands workers.
    Just checked usual salaries in Vladivostok - for unqualified worker it is about 30,000 rubles a month net.
    For 50,000 and more usually high education and experience is required. This is what Russian citizens get.

4. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

How the hell is "Rocket Man" an insult?

5. red_elk

red_elk Deity

It's a compliment!

6. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Check the NYT article on the subject :

https://www.google.fr/amp/s/mobile....d/europe/north-korea-russia-migrants.amp.html

So the NK government is confiscating about $840 per month per slave worker, which means their gross salary is a bit above $1,000 per month. Which is consistent for industrial workers of a middle income country like Russia.

This source puts the amount NK gets from selling slave labor to Russia at over $120 million a year, which is much less than some other sources I read, but still a huge amount for NK standards (equivalent to around 5% of their exports).

Hrothbern likes this.
  7. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

I feel myself SO MUCH happier, realizing North Korea is HELL!!!11 Every trouble I experience everyday feels so much easier when compared to that COMMUNIST HELLHOLE!!! Like even this annoying things we all get used to, like spammy ads which is everywhere. How dare you rant against ads, when there's this HELLHOLE called North Korea where there's a cult of personality and constant propaganda day and night!!! You should be happy you just have ads or stupid kids killing themselves because of their idols, because otherwise you'd have placards and portraits of your dear leader in your office and be shot if you don't cry when he's dead!!!!

8. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I figured it out!

The reason Trump calls Kim Jong Un Rocket Man is to piss off Elton John

9. tuckerkao

tuckerkao Warlord

Both China and Russia have imposed sanctions against North Korea, The deadline of President Trump's endurance will likely to decide when the calm before the storm will end.

10. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

I am told that going for a vacation to India gives you a similar experience. Just a lot more intense, since you are right there. And even without the uber-evil-totalitarian government. With a bit of luck, a desperate mother may try to give you her little daughter, crying and lamenting, that if you don't take her, she will have to die. That is the kind of stuff that can kill a lot of troubled thought-patterns and gloomy self-doubts you had before.
    The only down side is that from to time to time you may revisit the crying mother in your dreams. But it always passes.

11. tuckerkao

tuckerkao Warlord

"Rocket Man" stands for a man enjoying shooting rockets over other nation's territories. Shouldn't say it's an insult, but it's definitely a harsh critic.

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yesterday, North Korea launched a missile with enough range to hit Washington DC. They now have full ICBMs in their arsenal. It's just a matter of time before they have warheads to match.

13. civvver

civvver Deity

So what's the plan? Trump was much less vitriolic this time around simply saying we will handle the situation vs the last time when he said stuff about coming down with a fury or whatever.

I guess you have to decide

1. If those icbms are actually a threat or if our anti missile systems can shoot them down
    2. If NK would actually use them on us unprovoked, or is it simply a bargaining chip. Like why do they want nukes so bad, so they can invade SK and scare china and the western powers off from intervening? Or do they just want to get us to lower the economic sanctions?
    2. If we should invade NK as a response. I don't think air strikes would be sufficient, it would be a land invasion and long occupation. Pretty drastic and you'd need global support.

14. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

They want nukes to have a deterrent so the US doesn't destroy the country like we did in the Korean War, or invade and topple the regime like we did in Iraq.

red_elk and Kyriakos like this.
  15. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

There is no handling the situation. There is nothing Trump can do. Especially since China has no reason to do anything, and they seem okay with the status quo. There is no winning in this scenario.

Only 2 things that are equally horrible will rectify this situation. Either North Korea economy collapses entirely (certainly possible), the government collapses on its own along with it, or Trump can try to goad North Korea into attacking first and we go in and annihilate the government. Both situations involve lots of civilians dying. I don't think even Trump is stupid enough to attack first, certainly China will intervene if we do that, and we have a possible WW3 situation.

Best thing to do is ignore them.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. civvver

civvver Deity

Korea and the anti commie rhetoric was in the cold war era and a response to russia, which has since changed. Iraq has oil or at least proximity to oil plus the us needed a war to enrich dick cheneys donors. I don't think there's any similar reason to go into north korea. I supposed if we did actually withdraw all troops from the middle east the big defense contractors might be clamoring for another war but as of now I don't see it.

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Sorry, rhetoric? You are aware that during the Korean War the US literally bombed North Korea until it ran out of targets, killing perhaps three million people in the process? This had nothing to do with Russia, it was just racist blood-lust.

And so what? There was no real reason to invade Iraq but the US did it anyway; the US leadership is by all appearances actually less sane, restrained, etc. than it was when the decision to invade Iraq was taken, so I would argue that the North Koreans' pursuit of nuclear weapons is perfectly rational. Same with Iran. I mean, both these countries were listed by Bush along with Iraq as the "Axis of Evil." You don't have to think they're crazy to want to deter US aggression.

18. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Are you open to the theory that they did so rhetorically?

19. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

What? No. Anticommunism.

20. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I mean, bolth, but racism was clearly a major reason we didn't care very much about civilian casualties.