1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Northern Europe map changes

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Vienna 1W would put it 1N1E of the Alps, which is pretty much where it is in reality.

2. Swarbs

Swarbs Emperor

That's fine - 1NE of the Alps is where it is on the map you've posted in the first post. I thought people were suggesting to move it even further west, which would mean Vienna would only exist to cramp Frankfurt, and not to be a major city in its own right.

If Vienna appears where it is on the map on page one (on the hill with coal), Budapest goes on the oil, and the oil moves one tile SE then I think that would be just about perfect for Northern Europe. And there would still be a bit of space for Venice and maybe even Ragusa on the copper in the south, helping to fill the Balkans out a bit more. Having both Budapest and Ragusa in the Balkans would be more interesting, gameplay wise, imo.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Oh, sorry for the miscommunication. The map that I have posted shows Vienna already moved 1W from its original spot.

4. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Pacific Phytopathologist

Map looks nice on the SVN, Leoreth. Greenlanders still despise you though =P

5. borhap88

borhap88 Prince

Great changes. Now Leningrad is a worthful place.

About this, I notice that in 1700 scenario, Russian starting message says: "the foundation of Sankt-Peterburg secured a window to the east for Russia."
    I think you meant "a window to the west".

6. iOnlySignIn

iOnlySignIn Prince$s

Link to video.

7. therox

therox Hydralisk

Is it one the lastest SVN already ?

on*

8. Royal Tenenbaum

Stop with the juxtaposition of civilized and sophisticated DoC and ponies.

9. borhap88

borhap88 Prince

10. Wilhelm Meister

Wilhelm Meister Warlord

I'd like to know as well...

11. Royal Tenenbaum

Yes, last SVN update expanded Europe.

12. Dalgaard

Dalgaard Chieftain

Hey Leoreth.
    Interesting improvements. I know how everyone is jabbing about historical accuracy, but it seems no one covered this: Copenhagen is mainly placed in its current location because of massive schools of Herring fish in the oresund strait(the strait between zealand and scania). So maybe place the fish resource there?
    Already back in 1300 they would export 300.000 barrels of Herring, I mean, this was by far the biggest export of Denmark.

My only source is in Danish, sorry for that already :)
    http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sild

Other then that, looking forward to play the new version :)

13. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The main consideration for placing food resources is not only accuracy (of habitats or food industries), but also the resulting size of the affected cities. And I think Copenhagen is already capable of reaching quite the size.

14. Dalgaard

Dalgaard Chieftain

Alright, well, what difference would it make to place it 1SE of copenhagen, that way, hamburg and copenhagen still both get it, like you wanted :)

And people: enough with the supercities, all the ingame supercities, are supercities because they cover several nations (like Amiens covering France and the Netherlands). The earlier discussed supercity of Amsterdam+1NE would require the destruction of hamburg. Please, netherlands + north germany + northsea resources, would IRL be an insane city.

1NE of Amsterdam is not possible because of Hamburg, destroying Hamburg changes everything and your not going for realism anymore. Just like Amiens without Paris, Frankfurt and Amsterdam, would represent a huge part of western europe.

And BTW, great improvements on Scandinavia. They were too powerful before with all their grassland, this really limits them a lot better:)

15. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Would it be possible to actually get the Vikings to settle Copenhagen on the 3000 BC start? I have never, ever seen that city on 3000 BC (except when I'm playing as them, of course).

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I occasionally see them build it in 600 AD, but don't know enough 3000 BC games past that date. Shouldn't it be the same there?

17. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

They never build it. Not sure why. Maybe because of leftover barbarians?

18. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Perhaps Germany could get settler map on Denmark.

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That's very possible.

20. Lennon789

Lennon789 Prince

I've loaded up a couple of 600 AD starts with the new map, and each time the Vikings opted to settle Jelling (1SW) instead of Copenhagen. I know you said you haven't adjusted the stability maps and cores yet, does the settler map also need to be adjusted? Or perhaps Jelling is a better city from the perspective of the AI than Copenhagen, maybe due to the rivers and the fact that this tile is a chokepoint. (Does the AI even consider military strategy when placing cities?)