Northern Hemisphere 176x125 (57% Water)

AlazkanAssassin

Engineer
Now version 2.0!

This is a map I've made for a Cold war scenario i'm thinking about.
I made it but because of the size i'm unable to play it very well at all.
I hope someone likes it and has a machine that can play it.

The map is based on Lamberts Equal Area Azimuthal projection.
It is 176x125 (Huge) and is 57% covered by water tiles.

I moved Hawaii and Midway island onto the map because I wanted them in the scenario.
All 18 nations are included in realish locations.
The starting positions have been balanced a bit, location in europe still advantageous.

Comments / Suggestions are encouraged.

WOW, you guys downloaded my first version 368 times!

Attachments

• NorthernHemisphere2.zip
    79.4 KB · Views: 508
771 x 548! That sounds really, really big. But then again, if you were planning to do the Cold War, nothing less would do.:rolleyes:

Very respectfully,

Cowabunga

771x548 is the size of the image

176x125 is the size of the map

i don't think i could even load a 771*548 map!

as to ballance,
i havn't been able to playtest it much yet, (waiting for my computer upgrade to arrive) but eveyone should have access to a reasonable number of the strategic and other resources.
it is not ballanced in terms of expansion area, neighbors, or terrain.
USA, mongolia, and russia have lots of room to expand; europe doesn't. although that is usual for world maps.

some nations (arabia, mali) start in desert regions with little arable land and are at a strong disadvantage

england and japan are on islands and thus early expansion is difficult.

my next version will have more ballanced starts; but play this one and give me feedback! so i know what i should change.

Thanks!

Man, I wish I could run a 771 x 548 map. I might build one just for the hell of it.

That looks awesome. I'll try it out later.

looks great! You have included most of the world for a world war 2 or a cold war scenario.

By the way, I am an Australian, but I still think this is a great map!

Pretty cool. I played as Russia. I thought I'd beat Europe easily. But I had huge barbarian hordes. Very well balanced. I fought a long, hard, desperate war aganst the greeks and barely won.

Also I played as Germany. I settled about 1/2 of Europe. Attacked France. Soon I'd beat them and all the factions were allready Confucian (I founded it) But the Spanish came. I had to leave my seiges of Paris and their Southern City. I fled home and faced rebellion (no money). I gradually nursed my wounds till i had money then I went ahead and finished them off.

It seems very balanced for Spain, England, Russia, Germany, France, Greece. Everyone else seems at a great disadvantage.

This is the best World map i ever played. Trully.
I played as germans and i had a great time strugling my way into glory.
England and Russians will advance fast technologicly in the late game. Greek will fight pretty much everyone that is in their way.

I think that its little bad that India can be found in the stone age status when found at 1100 ad. the same with china and japan. barbarians and jungle seem to be rough for them.

Btw, could u make 2 maps of this one? Split america for one map, and the other half for another map. Boost up india with corn and what ever the one half of the map is missing.

Great job! Thx!

Great map, I thought it was fairly balanced apart from the civilizations in Asia as the poster above me pointed out.

The starting position for India is kinda bad, it was placed around Chennai (Madras) where it is totally surrounded by jungles. This gives the city bad health and basically no production and commerce to start off with. It probably will be good if India's starting position can be moved to the Delhi/New Delhi area.

As for Japan and China, I think more mineral/fish resources (fish/clam/crab especially for Japan) are needed. How about some Iron in North Korea and other minerals around North East China (Manchuria). I think it would probably be better if the starting position of China is moved more inland to the Xian area, otherwise the present day Beijing would be ok starting spot too.

-G'day-

I am playing the Romans on this map, and I've played until 1550 or something thereabouts. Depending on culture and religion I managed to stick to the top 3 positions for very long, but lack of territory is finally catching in. Then again, because I am completely surrounded by other nations I never had to face a single barbarian.

I captured half of Spain, and explored as far as America and China in 1500AD (the siege of Barcelona is still going on ;))
I agree with C-Kompii that the Indian start position is very bad. In 1500AD, they had only one city, and it was size 2.

Conclusion: very nice, interesting and accurate map. Too bad that it is so slow on my pc (1 GB ram)

Thank you very much eveyone who has played and given me feedback on this map. I'm glad to hear you have enjoyed it. I have finished version 2 of the map with many of your suggestions included.

Indian start location improved dramatically.
China moved to near beijing area.
Japanese islands improved with fish/minerals
New world starts improved slightly.
Mali start gains substantial gold (As that was what they were known for)

New version is in first post.

well, somehow it became corrupted by MaxRiga's mod...i had modified the XX century mod, but I wanted to see if it would work with MaxRiga's, and it just didn't work out...
has anyone been able to fix the "you have been defeated" bug, by changing the Worldbuilder file?

so I'm starting again, but I could send you the one that used to work well and see if you could find out what will fix it....
today I'm downloading your new one and I think I'm going to start from scratch...even though that means a long night building railroads and farms and placing cities.
right now, here is my civ list (i'm getting rid of a few--mexico,canada,japan-- from last time to try to speed it up, I was getting 1:00-2:00 minutes between turns)
0 USSR
1 USA
2 NATO
3 GB
4 FRA (?maybe? or I could make NATO and USA start out at war with Vietnam)
5 CHINA
6 VIETNAM
7 CUBA
8 UAR (egypt/syria)
9 S. ARABIA
10 INDIA
11 ISRAEL
12 YUGOSLAVIA(?maybe?)

(no more Mexico, Canada, Japan)

also, right now I can't decide whether to make the teams locked or based on defensive pacts, because I definately want to have non-aligned nations.

I think I'm going to make another version of this map that is 1/4 the size (1/2 * 1/2)
Europe will be kinda small then but it should play faster.

Edit: resized, no resources yet.

Attachments

• smallerNH.zip
    20 KB · Views: 127
Top Bottom