Norway First Look Video

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

But that Wikipedia article also says "A knarr is a type of Norse merchant ship used by the Vikings." And Harald Hardrada gets no trade bonuses in Civ VI. =|

The reason why the merchant ship was used during the Viking expansion was because they wanted to trade as well as pillage during that time (and certainly during Harald Hardrada's time, as the blog post attests). Hence the knarr was built for long voyages.

They really should rename the ability or add at least some trade component to it, IMO.

2. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Love it! This feels very much like a viking civ, unlike CiV's Denmark. I will definitely be playing this civ early on. Can't say it will be the first, but I have a feeling this may be a go to civ for me. I love naval civs, and Norway is the most ultimate naval civ I have ever seen. It really double downs on that aspect.

3. LordProtector

LordProtector Digger

Okay. Well done Firaxis. You've got me. *throws money*

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The Berserker is at Military Tactics like Pikemen and Samurai.

5. Fred_Bear

Fred_Bear Mutant Koala

Fantastic!:D
    Norway is looking really cool.
    All the civ's are looking really cool and I feel more than ever I'm going to enjoy playing all of them.
    Good job Firaxis:goodjob:

6. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Unapologetic Warmonger Supporter

Omigosh the Norway civ is awesome and I am totally playing it first :O Looks like tons of fun and the early mobility will be super awesome to play around (this is also probably as close as I'll ever get to hover units in a real Civ game so I'll take what I can get). I'm hoping that zerkers won't require iron again this time around, though given Norway's mobility maybe they'll just fine rich nodes of iron overseas anyway.

Also do we already have the complete list of religious features already or something? Are there like no combat bonuses, or no production bonuses, or no gold bonuses, or no way to buy units with faith? Even if the stave church doesn't contribute directly to warfare, having a good religion can still matter for warfare, or for other things as well if for some reason one doesn't want to be warmongery (which is weird, given all the toys you get to play with as Norway, but okay...).

Also I am hoping that the naval ranged unit will show up earlier than galleasses do in Civ5. Plucking coastal tiles will be fun, but it sounds like longboats are purely melee and won't be able to further interact with land-based targets.

Well, one doesn't necessarily want to keep all the cities one gets. In Civ5, the AI generally had very poor taste in city placement, or (un)conveniently placed cities which blocked potential canal cities. I usually raze every city except for the capital and one or two cities next to resources I care about (and honestly I would like the option to raze capitals sometimes). Absent of good yields, what reason does one have to keep a city around? For its permanent unhappiness from being conquered? The high upkeep for courthouses and roads connected to them? For population that one can grow in a better city elsewhere?

For any cities one doesn't really care for, pillage away all their tiles! Then burn them down later after sacking them.

Oh gosh this all sounds amazing to me :O

7. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

I'd disagree with this solely on account of the fact that it doesn't take builder charges to repair tiles. In fact I would suggest it's inefficient not to pillage cities during conquests.

While they may be functioning at a reduced output for a few turns after they're are captured, you're recieving no output from them until they're conquered. By pillaging, you're essentially producing yields from the target city in the turns leading up to it's capture.

If it takes you 10 turns to capture a city and only 1 turn to repair a pillaged tile then it is infinitely more efficient to pillage tiles for bonus yields.

8. Ebrim

Ebrim Warlord

All the complaints about Stave Church seem to be old Civ V thinking. You can lose the game by religion alone. Even a little boost to faith will make Norway that little bit harder to push around in religion. All indications are you don't get to completely ignore aspects of the game anymore and expect to be successful.

9. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Why? Norway doesn't look like it's overpowered even with this ability.

Pillaging improvements - yes, but it doesn't hurt cities that much. Pillaging districts is a different story as they have to be rebuilt with production and for the duration of the war conquered cities have production penalties.

10. spfun

spfun King

On a pangaea map this is the weakest nation in the game. On a water map its ok but I'd probably pick other nations there as well.

11. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

The game is not balanced about Pangea or Archipelago. It's impossible to balance all civs for all options. Continents, standard speed, standard size, normal barbarians - that's the setup for balanced play.

12. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

I didn't think anyone was complaining that it was weak. We are saying its boring.

If they gave it culture for being adjacent to the City Center or something, then it would make placing it more nuanced, and thus interesting. Can I get my Holy Site to be adjacent to the City Center and still multiple Woods? Which do I want more right now?

13. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

It's still better.

Furthermore, wars purely for the sake of pillaging are likely going to be very common as both the setbacks and rewards of pillaging are more significant than ever. In the livestream they generated 25 science from a mine when their civ was generating 18 science per turn. They got 50 gold from a pasture when they're generating 13 gold.

an extra turns worth of science and 4 turns worth of gold is entirely worth going to war over. If they pillaged 4 mines, that would have been 4 turns worth of science.

If pillaging tiles after they're repaired gives you the yields once more then it will absolutely be worth it to pillage because if you're in a strong position then the enemy can't repair it's territory or you'll continue to get more rewards. So basically you get loads of bonus yields and then cripple the opponents economy.

This sets you ahead in the game without incurring the warmonger penalties of capturing any territory.

14. Ebrim

Ebrim Warlord

Perhaps you were but I read other people as saying it was weak.

15. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Wasn't the impression I got from them either.

'Its a cool building but only gives Faith for Woods?' That sounds like people think it should be more exciting than it is. Perhaps strength is exciting for you. Maybe they did mean it that way and I'm misinterpreting it, too.

But it surely seems boring in comparison to the other things we've seen :lol:

16. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

Here is the tooltips for Stave Church
    Code:
    [B]STAVE CHURCH[/B]
    Building (replaces Temple)
    Base Cost: 105 Production
    Maintenance: 2 Gold

A building unique to Norway. Required to train Apostles. 
    Holy Site districts get an additional standard adjacency bonus from Woods.

+4 Faith
    +1 Citizen slots
    +1 Great Prophet point per turn.
    1 Relic slot
    Requires: 
    * Shrine
    * Holy Site

Compare this with Temple
    Code:
    [B]TEMPLE[/B]
    Base Cost: 105 Production
    Maintenance: 2 Gold

Allows the purchasing of Apostles. 
    Apostles can only be purchased with Faith. 

+4 Faith
    +1 Citizen slots
    +1 Great Prophet point per turn.
    1 Relic slot
    Requires: 
    * Shrine
    * Holy Site

Unfortunately we can't exactly see Stave's effect on Woods, but apart from that it's exactly the Temple ._.

17. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

While thinking about Norway, I was wondering, if your harbor district is pillaged and you aren't on the coast, are you able to create ships until it's fixed? If Norway is nearby, or anyone with a strong navy, that could be one very big incentive to settle costal if you can't, because you are going to need a navy to defend against Norway's longships and beserkers, especially if you go wide.

Being able to station a ranged ship in a costal city instead of in a harbor is another reason, I doubt harbors defend the coast nearly as well as costal cities do.

18. Mort_Q

Mort_Q Prince

Does he say the whole District gets an adjacency bonus, or just the Stave?

19. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Additional Standard Adjacency bonus. We know exactly what that means, no?

The District, but what's the difference?

20. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Just to spell this out more directly, pillage 4 mines and you get a boosted tech free. Pillage 4 pastures get a unit or building for free. Assuming your target has well developed land, this is indeed powerful. It's going to take me a bit to get my head wrapped around this too, because this is far stronger than pillaging in CiV.

On as side note, in the Norway portion of the livestream, it appears he has a longboat on a harbor but I did not see a pillage icon. :confused:
    Edit: Nevermind, just rewatched, the harbor is under construction.

Edit2: Upthread someone mentioned lack of units from Japan. Can't speak for his land military, but he seems to have no access to water for boats, so that explains the lack of a naval defense.