Norway First Look Video

I wondering if constantly pillaging your enemy will raise their war weariness? Then they might sue for peace and give up a lot of gold and luxuries. Could make Norway even more fun to play. :D

Yes, but. If you pillage the land and later conquer them, you conquer pillaged cities, which are much less viable. If you don't pillage the land you reduce the Norway military bonuses to just disembarkation and, supposedly, strong Berserkers.

Well there are times when I am sure pillaging will help with conquest as well. If it still give the health bump then that would allow them to heal and attack which is great for conquest. As well, you can use the pillaging to keep other cities from helping or cripple their ability to defend while focusing in on a a city or cities that you can keep pristine if you'd like.

Besides when you conquer a city there is always a ramp up period when you are dealing with unrest and the like, during that time you should have ample ability to recover all or most of the effects of a pre-conquest raid (just bring a builder along for the conquest).

I wondering if constantly pillaging your enemy will raise their war weariness? Then they might sure for peace and give up a lot of gold and luxuries. Could make Norway even more fun to play. :D

I would say almost certainly.

Just to ellaborate on the "just because some churches were built there once". Not only was the stave church very typical for medieval north-western Europe (there were probably around 1000 of them only in Norway), but almost all stave churches (28 of 30 IIRC) that are kept to this day are located in Norway.

Well yes but the question is, is a preference for building "religious districts" the kind of thing you'd associate with the Viking leader of Norway? I surely wouldn't. It is true that this is one type of building that you can find in Norway. It's not the building or district I'd have picked to represent Norway's national character though.

Norse mythology--okay, there would maybe something to that. But this is a church. I can see how Norway could *potentially* have a Faith direction, just not really one that requires a church built in a religious district.

That's true. Although committing your navy to operations a long way from home can be risky business.

Good thing Longships can heal in neutral territory. :D

Prediction: If Longships can heal in ocean tiles, they'll be nerfed in one of the first patches so that they can only heal on coasts.

Marginally off topic question about pillaging: If I pillage a district which contains a building which has a great work, do I gain the great work? Or do you only get them when you capture a city as per Civ V?

Marginally off topic question about pillaging: If I pillage a district which contains a building which has a great work, do I gain the great work? Or do you only get them when you capture a city as per Civ V?

Very interesting question - and if you could pillage the great work this way, this would be a truly epic ability.

On related topic - what are the consequences of pillaging a tile for buildings in this tile? Do they lose all their abilities / gains until the tile is repaired or only a part of it? And, assuming the great works are not pillaged, can you still hold them in pillaged buildings or do you have to move them?

Perhaps a compromise solution/answer to your question could be this - the great work is moved if it has somewhere to be moved, but if it does not, it gets stolen. That would be a nice balance, imo. :)

I am not sure, but I think only spies can steal great works.

With regards to the Stave Church and getting a bonus to faith from adjacent forest tiles... I view it the same way as Amazon ability from Brazil which gives them an adjacency bonus for rain forest tiles. I see two scenarios where the Stave Church could be useful...
1) Say you start a new game or found a city with only one or very few mountain ranges nearby yet there is an abundance of forest tiles... Instead of having to decide between a Campus or a Holy Site taking advantage of the limited mountains, place the Campus by the mountains and the Holy Site by the forest tiles.
2) Say you have no mountain ranges near a city you found but an abundance of forest tiles. You still get the additional faith bonus from the Stave Church.

I see the Stave Church as giving Norway a bit more flexibility on where they can place a Holy Site as they no longer have to rely on just mountains for a faith bonus.

Other than that... I'm liking this iteration of a Viking civilization as represented by Norway... Very historical with regards to the raids and pillaging. Normally not one for early game wars and pillaging but Norway might make me change my mind in Civilization VI.

Man it looks like they read all the "how to make CiV Denmark better" threads and cherry-picked some of the better ideas. Love the Stave Church, religion can be huge for a warmonger game sometimes. The embark/disembark ability is fantastic. Coastal raiding sounds interesting. I always liked Polynesia's early deep sea travel so that's huge.

Really can't wait to get my hands on this civ!

Some people would say that you waste your units if you don't try to use them immediately. If you play as England you could use your free units to raid enemy civs and Norway can do the same, even a civ without any advantages can raid.

There are two ways to improve your economy, one is to build up yours and the other is to damage your competitors. Obviously civs such as Scythia and England have advantages then it comes to damaging the opponent and thus may pull ahead just by keeping the other civs behind.

Norway stave church do have strong syngergy with Norway's ability to sail oversea as stave church need very specific terrain to be optimal and Norway's ability increase the chance to reach such terrain. Religion can be used for many purposes so faith bonuses are very flexible. Norway could create a religion that make war a bit easier but could also create one for another bonuses.

In fact everything synergize in some way with everything, resources lead to more resources while rading remove resources from the enemy.

I am not sure, but I think only spies can steal great works.

Spies stealing would be something that you could do whilst at peace with another nation. Pillaging would be the war time version.

What I'd love is if you'd get some kind of happiness boost if you re-acquired a great work that had been stolen from you. Would make send a spy undercover (and the potential diplomatic hit) more worthwhile.

Isn't there a policy card that gives some crazy bonus to pillaging? Crazy synergy.
Edit: here they are:
Sack: Double yields from pillaging districts.
Raid (Military Training): double yields from pillaging improvements

Norway seems like a gimmick Civ, but let's see how they compare to the rest.

Norway is weaker than the others but viable for a domination victory. Guess everyone love to build into the late game. Norway will depend heavily on the map you choose. Hopefully the AI will adjust to navy battles better in civ 6.

I'm still extremely annoyed that Norway got in rather than Persia/Ottomans/Mali/Inca but they seem very fun to play nonetheless! I bet the reason they're included is that Ed has dreamt up some kind of scenario that needed to have them. It's why Sweden got included in Gods and Kings after all...

Top Bottom