1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Norway Now Kills More Whales Than Japan And Iceland Combined

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Happy cows milk better. And they don't dislike being milked. You veal out males, you milk females. Herds are kept largely as herds like to be kept, because happy cows milk better. But I get the feeling that's largely besides the point. There's a pre pastoral dream, and it has a lot of weird fetish cred.

I want to devour the happy. Do you have anything cultured? Perhaps that spoke French?

Hygro, rah and Birdjaguar like this.
  2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Illnesses like "mad cow disease" started because the animals were literally fed trash. Eg in Belgium and neighbors.

I think it is very good that almost all humans have issues with murdering (even of animals, even for food). Shows that we aren't close to being by majority some kind of all-devouring demon.
    True, wars still happen - and some populations are more warmongering than others, and some societies are more violent than others. Yet if the more typical human urge wasn't (apparently) towards pacifism, things would have been far worse.

3. Farm Boy

No, mad cow disease is caused by feeding cows cows. It's a protein disorder of cannibalism. You solve it by feeding the cow bone meal to chickens and pigs, and chicken and pig bone meals to cows. Bone meal being supplemental protein made from waste product humans could eat, but don't generally want to.

4. Kyriakos

Afaik the pig illnesses in Europe were caused by trash-feeding those nice omnivores. "Like" doesn't always mean "including".

5. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

But, that logic very quickly suggests I should start hunting people with larger footprints than I have

6. Farm Boy

Different illnesses have different causes. Sure. But the folded protein disorders of cannibalism are unlike many diseases. They aren't a good example of trash feeding, not being and example of one, with much different vectors.

The statement is then, "diseases unlike mad cow disease can be caused by feeding animals trash." ;)

In all fairness I should have called bone meal byproduct, not waste product.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  7. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

It's rather tangential to the point I made, I think, but yes, that does seem to follow. If you eliminate rivals in your environment there will be more resources for yourself.

But then there's the whole thing about us generally agreeing not to kill each other because we're all humans, no?

8. El_Machinae

I think most of the objections to killing whales is that they are sufficiently human-like that they deserve moral protections

9. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Most of us aren't eating whale meat. The handful of nations who do could stop doing so tomorrow without any serious dietary impact. What's stopping them is the perceived political and economic impact.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Don't those two items pretty much determine everything?

11. Snerk

Snerk Finger Lickin' Good

Then the whale eaters will buy some sausage instead and the ethical and environmental total will be less than before.

12. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Apparently. I just meant that humanity's "appetite for meat" doesn't extend to whales except in a few, essentially outlier cases.

I'd say that depends on how chill you are with killing whales as opposed to pigs, and most people would tend to measure the morality of the killing based on the psychological complexity of the creature, not on complexity-per-kilo as some posters have suggested.

Plus the "we can do both" thing.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. El_Machinae

I very much struggle with the relative morality of killing a 5 tonnes of whale vs 5 tonnes of pig, if it's pleasure-eating.

14. Kyriakos

Is whale meat even tasty?
    Most people don't eat stuff like horse, camel, dog or cat meat, but there are markets for those.

15. Snerk

Most people don't give a damn, they just want cheap meat. If we "do both things", one of those things must involve ending industrialised meat farming. Do you see any indications of that happening out of free will?

And why do you think complexity per creature is a more noble approach over complexity per kg?
    It's alright but I wouldn't call it delicacy. It's very lean.

16. Kyriakos

I recall Swordfish being extremely tasty :yumyum:

17. Snerk

Swordfish, tuna and the like is so yummy but also very overfished so best to leave it alone.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  18. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

And then there is the mercury.

About killing whales, I find it as killing elephants. They are so much bigger and more majestic than us... it is as killing a guy than earns more than you do.

19. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

If it's a different species, it's morally edible on my book. Now some might be protected because having living wild animals around is nice. But I don't see how it can be universally agreed upon as some kind of fundamental moral issue, it's a choice.
    If some countries, or some groups within a country, chose to eat a particular species and that one does not require special protections to endure, what moral right have other groups to stopping them?

I get it, we utterly slaughtered the cannibal tribes of the world because they ate people. That was genocide, and those who did it had little moral qualms with doing it. It was defended at the time and as it is done no one needs to get their knickers all twisted up arguing on the morality of it now.
    But are we going to slaughter the groups who hunt whales, genocide them? Are we going to be more "humane" and merely imprison them? Because to change such habits requires force employed again fellow humans. What is moral and what is not moral on those conflicts of choices?

Personally I don't choose to eat sea mammals. Or birds. They look like meat but taste like fish, blegh.

That would be white whales? :D

20. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

You might as well eat your dog, or your horse.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    tjs282 likes this.