Norway's Longships should be able to travel up rivers

I've always thought there should be river-specific units. Longboats are a perfect one.

Oh man, that would be great, and very much in keeping with what the ancient Vikings did.

Would make their pillaging ability even better. I can see it being weird graphically as it is now.

For this to happen, at least with the current movement and 1UPT system, rivers would need to have their own tiles (like the great wall, for example) rather than occupy the space between tiles.

Having just finished season one of "Vikings", I do agree that it would make for an interesting (and "realistic") change. The question is how hard it would be to implement such a unique and completely new behavior/feature.

Perhaps a compromise/work-around would be in order? How about giving longships the ability to boost your land unit's combat-strength (sort of like a mini-Great General bonus)? Should only work if the longship is parked near the mouth of a river that leads to the tile your land-unit is fighting/standing on. Say, +3 for regular units and perhaps a bigger bonus for your Bezerkers (like reducing/removing their defense penalty)?

S.

Last edited:
For this to happen, at least with the current movement and 1UPT system, rivers would need to have their own tiles (like the great wall, for example) rather than occupy the space between tiles.

Basically this, River as of now serves more function compared to 5, but it is still not a full fledged tile with proper yields

I love this idea, but agree that given the way rivers are tile borders rather than tiles themselves implementation would be tricky.
in civ5 scenarios some civs had an UA that made their units move faster along the rivers
it could be the same for vikings (or whatever norwegian UUs are called)
I like this direction as a potential implementation, maybe expand so that all Norway units get a movement AND combat bonus in river tiles. This would be similar to Japan's Divine Wind ability, except for river tiles instead of coastal.

What if: a land unit is stacked with a sea unit adjacent to a coast tile with a river, the land unit disembarks and gets extra movement points for tiles along those river tiles for a few turns. That's kind of a roundabout way of doing it.

EDIT: basically what Sascha77 said

Last edited:
Or how about when warriors (and swordsman?) embark, they turn into longships instead of embarked units. That would actually be the simplest implementation and still have the "viking raider" effect.

I don't see why you couldn't just make a longship able to travel on any tile adjacent to a river.

Only issue would be the 3d map graphical representation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah not sure how well a boat on land would look

Top Bottom