Norwegian Viking UHV Challenge

AbsintheRed

Deity
Well, the Viking updates are up, so here is the new thread
The rules are similar to the ones in the Kievan Food challenge:

Get as much Viking points on your UHV counter as possible by 1066.
This is a gentleman's game, we all assume there were no reloads or cheats included.
Just post a final screenshot of your Viking score on the turn of the UHV date (in 1068AD), with a couple lines about your strategy.
(obviously you may post about it in detail, this is basically a strategy thread after all :) )

This is a quick and fun challenge, so go and Viking some points together!
150 points are surely possible, but I guess something between 200-250 is also achievable with some extreme strategies.

Not the best, but i'll add a detail to make is clear: You must have a Golden Age, from UHV 1+2.

My score is: 117

Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

Ps: Tonsberg/Sokna is still there, on an awful place, pls remove it.... (ok, my bad.)

Ps: Tonsberg/Sokna is still there, on an awful place, pls remove it....

Fixed it for Revision 1205
Are you sure you play with that one?

Well, I managed to reach 120 points with being extremely unlucky in battles, while managing to build both the Shrine of Uppsala and Vinland before 1066.
I think I will move Vinland to the 1st UHV, to be honest don't even remember anymore why was it moved to the 2nd one (it was done when there was only a single Norse civ)

I found that UHV 2 was actually easier to achieve before 1066 than after the English Spawn. 100 Viking Points were more challenging for me than I expected for I remembered 80 Points to be very easy. After 1066 it's then pointless to be aggressive since all provinces you could reconquer are instable. It's a peaceful game of founding cities in Ireland and The Isles until you win.

I'm not opposed to something more fun for the 2nd UHV
I like the 3rd one, and with Vinland moved there the 1st one is quite fun and challenging enough IMO
But the second is just way too boring, especially without Vinland (also it's very easy, but I don't mind if it's easier than the other two)

I like the 2nd UHV, personally. If it's too easy, we could always move the deadline back or add other provinces (e.g. southern Italy), but I think a province control UHV goal is appropriate.

I like the 2nd UHV, personally. If it's too easy, we could always move the deadline back or add other provinces (e.g. southern Italy), but I think a province control UHV goal is appropriate.

Alright, I guess I will add Sicily to the 2nd goal then.
Or wasn't that one of the most important Norman conquests in South Italy?

Alright, I guess I will add Sicily to the 2nd goal then.
That would definitely make the second UHV more challenging, but I guess a skilled player could still pull that off before 1071 (at the English flip) and reach 100 Viking Points. I still suggest changing the provinces in question to orange stability levels (Scotland and Northumbria are red after 1066).
AbsintheRed said:
Or wasn't that one of the most important Norman conquests in South Italy?
Yes, the Normans conquered Sicily since 1061. 1131 the Kingdom of Sicily was formed which lasted until 1194 when the Staufer Henry VI married Constance, Queen of Sicily, heir of the last Norman king.
Spoiler :
I'd like you to consider adding the provinces of Sicily (as mentioned), Apulia, Calabria and Malta to the contested regions of Norway and (why not) Denmark.

That would definitely make the second UHV more challenging, but I guess a skilled player could still pull that off before 1071 (at the English flip) and reach 100 Viking Points. I still suggest changing the provinces in question to orange stability levels (Scotland and Northumbria are red after 1066).
Scotland remains contested
Only Northumbria and Normandy changes to unstable on the English spawn

You are right that it's important for the UHV.
On the other hand I would find it strange if it remains orange for Norway, and at the same time all the English provinces changes to unstable for Denmark.

Yes, the Normans conquered Sicily since 1061. 1131 the Kingdom of Sicily was formed which lasted until 1194 when the Staufer Henry VI married Constance, Queen of Sicily, heir of the last Norman king.
Spoiler :
I'd like you to consider adding the provinces of Sicily (as mentioned), Apulia, Calabria and Malta to the contested regions of Norway and (why not) Denmark.

Sure, I planned to do that for any new UHV provinces
When should those change to unstable?

What if I remove Northumbria from the Norwegian 2nd UHV after all? You will go Viking in the area much earlier anyway, for the 1st one.
Normandy can remain contested for both Norway and Denmark on the English spawn. Not perfect, but not that bad either.
Sicily, Apulia, Calabria are added for the Norwegian 2nd UHV, all of them are contested territories up until 1194 AD which might also become the new deadline for the UHV.
(To be honest, I don't remember why was it set to 1263. What does that date represent here?)

Maybe this:
1263:
Northern and eastern Europe

- July – Scottish–Norwegian War: Haakon IV of Norway sets sail to defend the Hebrides against Alexander III of Scotland.
- October 2 – Battle of Largs: an inclusive battle in the Scottish–Norwegian War fought in Scotland, between kings Haakon IV of Norway and Alexander III of Scotland.
- The chieftains of the eastern part of Iceland become the last to pledge fealty to the King of Norway, bringing a more complete end to the Icelandic Commonwealth and the Age of the Sturlungs.

1194 and the stability changes sound really good.

But when will Sicily spawn then? :mischief:

Personally, I'd put it at 1042 (when the County of Apulia and Calabria, the first Norman state in southern Italy, was founded). I think that an actual Sicilian civ and the southern Italy part of the Norwegian UHV might have to be mutually exclusive.

Personally, I'd put it at 1042 (when the County of Apulia and Calabria, the first Norman state in southern Italy, was founded). I think that an actual Sicilian civ and the southern Italy part of the Norwegian UHV might have to be mutually exclusive.

Yeah, I agree of course, these 2 things are mutually exclusive.
Already added the changes with the 1194 date.

On the other hand, I prefer ~1130 as the start date of a potential Sicily civ.
I feel it should already have a more established power base, a proper spawn area with the cities flipping to it.

1130 does feel kind of late, though, since it misses out 2/3rds of Norman Sicily and all that it entails; there's also the fact that after 1194 Sicily spends a lot of time being dominated by/in personal union with other powers. I think it would be more fun and interesting to start in 1040 with a significant stack on Apulia and Calabria, and then conquer Sicily and try to move on to Africa or the Balkans, as the Normans historically tried.

I made now 125 points, notice: Scotland included make it harder to plunder more viking points. I takes significant amount of shipment to deal with them partly due to their UP and because the crossbows they have. (aprox. 3-4 galley loaded) They do not yield so much point, as much you can gain in France. A few week before I had time to wreak havoc in Iberia, both north and south, recently I can only send there 1 or none ship.

For UHVs, I would say keep the first two and make the third related to normanns! Do it between 1200-1300 AD down there! Conquest and trade also good.

Why do the Sicilian civilization and Norwegian UHV-part to capture Sicily be mutually exclusive?

Even if the Norwegians have a very small timeframe to capture Sicily it would be interesting. (eg spawn some units near Sicily for Norway and then get to decide if you want to cede controll or reassert your presence)

Top Bottom