Nostalgia or truth: The 80s had the best action movies

Nostalgia or truth: The 80s had the best action movies

• Total voters
If somebody punches John Maclean in the face, I understand intuitively that this is a problem for him. If somebody blasts Iron Man with an energy beam, is this... a problem? An irritation? An amusing practical joke? Unless the film clearly explains this in advance, I am going to be dependent on character's reactions to understand, and in both cases this is easy to do inelegantly.
Yeah this is a reason why superhero movies bore me, they're unrelatable and the fighting is too abstract

Since I'm here I did enjoy 80s/early 90s action movies, Total Recall probably being my fave (the remake was such a dud :()

What I think I enjoy about the more modern movies is that there's a lot of variety in the action movies and especially the feel thereof. Bourne innovated the rapid-shift that others abused. Sometime last decade we got actors to take their fingers off of the triggers. And I'll shoutout to Marvel for their long-takes of an exhausted Daredevil and the extended brutality in Punisher.

When I look back at the 80s, either the lack of realism or the comedy or the willpower sticks out. Kyle Reese fighting for the last few seconds with a broken arm and a crowbar against the T-800 stuck with me, even as a kid. Ahnuld did everything we ever wanted with Commando and Vin Diesel tried to pick up the mantle, but we found that only Dwayne Johnson could. Charlise's long-take in Atomic Blonde really impressed me with its brutality. What's also interesting is Taken and John Wick, where we're not sure why they were successes, even if they were.

I'll disagree with Wonder Woman in No Man's Land - when I watched it, I noticed that she got pinned for her efforts and if it wasn't for the inspiration/rescue she inspired, that would have been that.

But, as I'm typing, I realize that the Charge of the Oliphants was over a decade ago, ergo I'm too old for my own good

Spoiler 2007 Mac :

They formed up the line, to charge the orcs, knowing they would die. They each knew that they would mow down dozens of orcs in their charge, only to be surrounded and fatigued before they got halfway through. They knew they were going to die, and they charged anyway. Why? Because they were brave, and someone had to kill the orcs so that their offensive would be blunted.

So they charged. They charged, and killed and charged and swung. Their charge was so successful that they actually routed the orcs, despite being outnumbered (still) 5 to 1. They stopped their charge - battered, bruised, and successful.

Then the oliphants appeared from the mist. Enormous warmachines. The Rohimirr saw them, and realised that they could not win. They'd already lived through their 'death charge', miraculously. Did they need to charge into certain death again?

They did. They formed the line, and charged (a second time) into certain death. Why?

Because it was the right thing to do.

Wow.

At least Wonder Women was still good movie as far as superhero ones go it's one of the better ones.

Movies like Total Recall are still good because there's something else going on apart from explosions.

ı would say the single death in Rambo was an accident . Guy shooting a rifle , Rambo throwing rocks , which hit the windscreen , driving the helicopter pilot to panic or something , with the shake making the guy fall , and he deserved to as well or something .

Top Bottom