(Not a bug) [1.0.0.62 - 1.0.1.221] - UU (Khan, Hoplite) from city state

I tried taking a screenshot but it only "copied" a black screen, I'll try some other methods, but needless to say, I'm at battle with China, and I had a unit by Greek territory, and to my shock, there is a tank that looks like a panzer under Greek control. I mouse-over the unit and it says "Greek Panzer."

I am looking all over to see if Greece can "steal" units, but I don't see that this is an option for them. Is it possible a city-state gifted them a Panzer? Is that even possible, a city state gifting a unique unit?!?

EDIT: It should be noted that Germany was NOT a civ in this game that I'm playing.

This is by design. We wanted the city states to occasionally gift "exotic" units to make them more interesting.

I have been playing Civ5 since its release and have NEVER seen this, not once, ever. I have logged THOUSANDS of hours of play as well. As soon as I buy Gods and Kings this is happening all over the place with the Greeks marching on their opponents with scores of Panzers...WTF?

What is the point of unique units if anyone can get them?

You can only get the uniques of civs that are not in your game, and only if you are friends/allied with a militaristic city state, and only if you are in the right place in the tech tree.

In a game I'm playing, I'm the ally of Valetta. I received a notice that they had gifted me a unit, so I looked... and they gave me a Tercio, a Spanish UU! There was no Spain in this game at all, so it couldn't have come from a real Spain player, they must have built it themselves. This definitely improves the value of Militaristic CS, since it appears they can now create UUs from other civs that are related to them IRL, and then give them to you once you are allies.

Just thought I'd share in case this is the first time it's happened.

i think, this has been the case for a while now. pre expansion u would get uu from other civs gifted to u iirc.

i think, this has been the case for a while now. pre expansion u would get uu from other civs gifted to u iirc.

Nah, in Vanilla, they would also gift you UUs not found in the game, but it was extremely rare.

e: as rare as seeing an AI civ build Ironclads

Military CS gift UU, and it is listed in the CS screen.

But I have a feeling this is making UU's less unique.

Oh, so it's been around a while then eh? Interesting... it's actually given me an advantage in this game, and I was going for domination, so I'll be abusing it maliciously.

Each militaristic CS has a "specialty" unit which they will gift you after you gain the required techs, and which is comprised of a UU from a Civ not in the current game. I did notice that as that unit became obsolete (the example I remember was Catephrachts or whatever), they stopped giving them to me & went with a modern base unit.

Military CS gift UU, and it is listed in the CS screen.

But I have a feeling this is making UU's less unique.

Well, its seems to be random each new game, with the caveat being not from a civ in that same game.

And as I said, it happens in Vanilla Civ 5 too, just a lot less often.

Each militaristic city state has a special unique unit if you put you're mouse over their thrait you will see that every city state have a secect some city state know the secret of tercio's and will give you tercio's (if you have gunpowder)

Some others can produce keshiks if you have chivalry and so on

Good idea. Like Carthago I received legions from militaristic city state XD
The game has a good sense of humour! :D

As most everyone has pointed out, this feature was in Civ V all along, but the big change to militaristic CS's in the expansion is the fact that units will now spawn in your own territory [including great people]!

This to me, at least makes it worthwhile to ally the militaristic city states.

Do units from SC now start off with experience? Always makes it very annoying for me when the units I'm given are, effectively, 2nd class versions of what I could build myself. They normally go to garisson duty rather than front line fighting.

Do units from SC now start off with experience? Always makes it very annoying for me when the units I'm given are, effectively, 2nd class versions of what I could build myself. They normally go to garisson duty rather than front line fighting.

I have never seen one with experience. Not sure if CS's even build barracks. They may, but I have not seen it.

Using them for garrison duty is the best bet, although now you will find that they tend to gift you [slightly better*] units.

*further along in the tech tree

I just spotted a Chu-Ko-Nu amongst the Cartheginian armies. What is that all about? A bug? I made a screenshot if anyone's interested. There is one unmet civ on another continent; on this one there are no Chinese. I have no idea where they got a Chu-Ko-Nu.

Top Bottom