Not Another City States Mod

In the CSD thread the idea was for trade caravans (variation on Great Merchant) to visit CSes and then come back as a variation on the Great Engineer. I assume the AI would know how to use it, just not effectively.
Having it replace the regular bonus mechanic (the x :c5culture: or :c5food: per turn) could also work, but again, with the AI not having decent criteria for how to use the units, it could 'break' the CS feature for the AI.

I also have another idea, based on your Mercenaries mod, but it suffers the same problem:
You can hire:
  • units (mercenaries) from :c5war:CSes,
  • citizens (slaves) from :c5food:CSes,
  • policies or culture boosting buildings (artifacts) from :c5culture:CSes

and then with the new types:
  • tech progress (research) from :c5science:CSes,
  • production (parts, tools, craftsmen) from :c5production:CSes,
  • lend gold from :c5gold:CSes (get 300 gold and pay 15 gold for the next 30 turns),
  • a unique luxury resource (again 'artifacts'?) or building (carnival) from :c5happy:CSes or
  • GP progress (manifestos, essays, theories?) from :c5greatperson:CSes.
These would all be temporary benefits (30 turns) and in my mod only apply to the 'Capital' city-states, to make them stand out more.
As with your Mercenaries mod, it would be limited to befriended and allied CSes, but possibly have the gold cost of them go down when allied instead of just befriended.

Edit: I really need to find a better name for the 'Capital' city-states.

Got a :c5gold:Commercial city-state in the game. It has temporary art, and the trait name only shows up in the diplopopup (not in diplocorner or other places), the bonus is given correctly, but doesn't show in the TopPanel yet. Overall conclusion: it works.

I think I will release v.8 with only the first 3 new traits included :)c5science:, :c5production: and :c5gold:), so I don't get the feeling I have to rush things.

Questions:
  • What should be the quantities for the gold and science bonuses? 4 base per turn, +2 per era? Probably something else if you want to keep it relevant late-game.
  • How about production?
I will do the tedious work of balancing the 80-ish civs over the 9 traits myself, because seriously, no one is going to volunteer for that. :lol:

Having some trouble with the UI side of things, stuff out of my league. The things that are missing are not really essential (just some missing texts here and there), so I'll go ahead and release the mod as it currently is (tomorrow).

The 3 traits that will be released are
  • :c5gold:commercial: 4 gold fixed + 2/turn per era for friends, 6 + 3 for allies
  • :c5science:intellectual: 4 science fixed + 2/turn per era for friends, 6 + 3 for allies
  • :c5production:productive: 3 prod fixed + 3/turn per era for friends, 4 + 4 for allies*

*Distributed like this: every 6th hammer goes to the Capital, the other hammers are handed to the cities one by one until there are no hammers left.
    This means that the cities founded last are likely to get a hammer less than the ones founded earlier.
If you think something needs to be changed, now is the time to say so.

The icons turned out ok, those weren't too difficult:
Spoiler :

If you're paying attention you'll notice this image is shopped together.

The PopupTops I tried looked awful, so I chose to stick to a generic one until I or someone else makes decent ones:

I was also thinking that maybe I should release the traits as a modcomp as well, so people not looking for a larger mod as this can still try this feature out. Thoughts?

Do you have a list of leaders for this mod?

EDIT: I think you should incorperate some sort of food trait like: Agricultural:

If the person plans to do a small empire, say for a cultural victory, they probably would need some help from City States.

Do you have a list of leaders for this mod?

EDIT: I think you should incorperate some sort of food trait like: Agricultural:

If the person plans to do a small empire, say for a cultural victory, they probably would need some help from City States.

I didn't have a ready list, but I made one:
ALMATY Nursultan Nazarbayev
AMSTERDAM William of Orange
BELGRADE Karadorde Petrovic
BRUSSELS Leopold II
BUCHAREST Vlad III
BUDAPEST Corvin Matyas
CAPE_TOWN Nelson Mandela
CONSTANTINOPLE Constantine the Great
COPENHAGEN Christian IX
DUBLIN Daniel O'Connell (*to be replaced with Éamon de Valera)
EDINBURGH James IV
HANOI Phan Boi Chau
HELSINKI Gustaf Mannerheim
KUALA_LUMPUR Tunku Abdul Rahman
LHASA Tsangyang Gyatso
LISBON Manuel I
MADRID Isabella I
OSLO Christian IV
RIO_DE_JANEIRO Pedro I
SEOUL Sejong the Great
STOCKHOLM Gustav II Adolf
TAIWAN 'Lee Teng-Hui
VIENNA Franz Joseph I
WARSAW Jan III Sobiesky
Just adapted it from an SQL file, to layout isn't what it should be. Maybe I should add them to the readme file.

And 'agricultural' you are suggesting is the vanilla 'maritime' I understand. I am not replacing the vanilla traits, just adding new ones.

Is it ok If I make some suggestions to the list?

-Replace Franz Joseph with Maria Theresa
-Replace Phan Boi Chau with Nguyen Hue
-Replace Karadorde Petrovic with Stephen Uroš IV
-Replace James IV with James VI of Scots

Monaco - Rainer III
Sidon - Jezebel
Jerusaem - Baldwin I
Puntland - Yusuf Ali Kenadid

Maria Theresa is a good idea and I actually used James VI for Scotland, only got his name wrong, so I'll fix that too (for version 9).
I'm not so sure about the other two. I need to find a realistic, coloured depiction of them if I want to get an icon that fits into the game.
The other 4 you mentioned won't get leader heads. My plan isn't to give them to all (now 60) CSes, only for a subcategory.

I understand, but I don't really understand with the other 4 I mentioned. Why won't they be included, is it because it's a tedious job? If that's it, then I totally understand :p

But you should at least make Monaco have a leader head, though.

Version 8 (Trait update)
  • 3 new city-state traits: :c5gold:commercial, :c5science:intellectual and :c5production:productive.
  • Bugfix: City-state messages headed f.e. "King of The City-State of Norway has a Message." Removed the "The City-State of" part and also fixed the coloring of the message.
  • Combatibility.sql: Fiji removed because it was found actually not to conflict with the Polynesia DLC.
And the Readme.

Hopefully releasing it will generate enough attention to get someone to help me on the UI or art. Pretty desperate. :p

I understand, but I don't really understand with the other 4 I mentioned. Why won't they be included, is it because it's a tedious job? If that's it, then I totally understand :p

But you should at least make Monaco have a leader head, though.
19 of the 28 original city-states were nothing but capitals of countries not included. Think of Warsaw, Seoul, Brussels etc.
I found that immersion breaking, because in no way, shape or form are they city-states. So I renamed them to their respective countries (in correspondence, not on the map).
From there I sought to deepen the difference between these and the true city-states.
Giving them leader heads is the first step in that (at this time I added Holland, Spain etc.), a further cosmetic difference, and in the future I hope to give them unique content so they form a stage between city-states and major civilizations.

Would it be possible to have a Flags-only version of the mod? I actually like it better without seeing a portrait for leaders.

I'm sorry, but it would take too much time. I'd have to redo those icons, both code-wise as art-wise, for them to be up to standards and then I'd have to maintain 2 versions.
Currently I think it's better to use that time to improve the one version.

Can you try to add some more city states to the americas (like sioux nation etc.) and central asia

Im trying to make a MASSIVE TSL map (bigger than huge earth) and those areas are winding up shallow while most city states wind up in europe and the middle east

A Sioux nation doesn't really fit the criteria for a normal city-state in the mod and the places of the 'Capital' city-states (henceforward I'll begin referring to them as Small Civs) are limited and already taken.
On the list for America are the Inuit (city of Iqualuit) and Cuba, so you'll have at least those. Cuba is subject to change, if I find a better maritime Small Civ to replace them.

Adding city-states isn't hard, so if you really need some, you can always try your hand at that.

Are the new traits working for anyone?
They're not doing anything for me and I have no idea why. They were working when I tested them pre-release.

Hoping it's just something in my system.

The problem was that I had put GameEvents.PlayerDoTurn.Add( MinorCivFriendshipEffects ) before the function in the LUA at last notice. Apparently that it doesn't work then.

Version 10 (really working update)
  • Bugfix: resolved issue that the effects of the new traits were not being applied.
Link to new readme and please let this be the last emergency bugfix.

The patch swapped Copenhagen with Sydney and Oslo with Quebec City.
That's 1 :c5gold:commercial and 1 :c5happy:progressive 'lesser' civ (= CS with a leader head) down.

I think I'll keep the new Quebec in the role of my old one, so just as a city-state, not as a lesser civ, but I'm unsure what to do with Sydney. Make it the capital of an Aussie lesser civ? Rename it to Canberra for that?
I'll also be in need for another CS, possibly a lesser civ. Suggestions?

I'll make that part of the next release, which could come on Sunday already (probably a day or two later).
Already did the :c5influence:diplomatic and :c5happy:progressive traits, now doing :c5greatperson:progressive.
After that I'll be adding 13 new CSes to balance the amount per trait and then I'll be redoing some art and adding new art for the new lesser civs.

Version 11 released, which introduces 3 more city-state traits.

Version 11 (Jack of all update)
  • 3 new city-state traits: :c5influence:diplomatic, :c5greatperson:progressive and :c5happy:prosperous.
  • 12 new :c5citystate:city-states:
    the 'Lesser' civs of Cuba(Havana), Ethiopia(Addis Ababa), Mayas(Tikal) and Switzerland(Bern)
    and the normal city-states of Aboriginals(Ayers Rock), Abu Dhabi, Andorra, Anfa, Carthage, Inuit(Iqualuit) Liechtenstein, Luebeck and Macau.
  • Latest patch compatibility:
    Removed my Quebec as the patch replaced Oslo with Quebec City.
    Renamed the Danish lesser civ to the Australian, as the patch replaced Copenhagen with Sydney.
  • Updated some :c5capital:'Lesser' city-state popup tops:
    Updated the right-hand side icons to reflect the trait changes of most Lesser civs since the addition of the new traits.
    Correctly named Scotland's leader James VI. (Was wrongfully named James IV.)
    Maria Theresa replaces Franz Joseph as leader of Austria.
    Éamon de Valera replaces Daniel O'Connell as leader of Ireland.
  • New icons for commercial and intellectual city-states. Used the icons for the Great Merchant and Great Scientist respectively.
  • Compatibility.sql: added Cuba, Carthage, Ethiopia, Mayas and Switzerland.
  • Bug fix: resolved issue that on ally status you'd still receive the friends bonus as well.

Online readme

Top Bottom