1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Caring For the New Leaders

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by AtlantisAuthor, Dec 25, 2016.

?

Which game's Leaders, screens, and animations do you prefer, Civ V or Civ VI?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2017.
  1. Civ V

46 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Civ VI

51 vote(s)
    52.6%
  1. orasis

orasis Prince Supporter

I prefer VI but would like to have the backgrounds animated.

I would also like to see (and I know we won't) Adolf Hitler.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Maybe he can come in as a Merchant of death

3. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

This is less of a problem with leaders but rather a problem with civs chosen for the game.

4. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

By German law, Hitler can't appear in anything non-academic. If there were a Hitler DLC, Germans won't be able to download it legally. Oh, and Germany is a major market for Civ VI.

5. Soduka

Soduka Warlord

Like they'd put in anything even mildly offensive to any possible person that has, does, or could possibly exist. The War Animals aren't even killed anymore in Civ 6 - they simply run away in battle animations, and you can't siege or destroy Wonders. So tolerant and progressive, I'm sure those Animal Rights Activists are lining up to fish out some money for the game.

6. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Jadwiga of Poland however is capable of destroying opponents' partially completed wonders by plopping forts and encampments next to them.

7. orasis

orasis Prince Supporter

Hah!

8. orasis

orasis Prince Supporter

I know but I still find it silly since Mao and Stalin both appeared in IV. It was 80 years go... Relax a little already, Germany.

9. orasis

orasis Prince Supporter

I personally liked that the animal units do not die. Never understood why they did. It's not like they mass slaughtered horses if the persons riding them were stabbed or shot off of them.

Why do you want to see horses die?

10. Soduka

Soduka Warlord

All that would need to happen is all the muslim migrants demand that Germany's Hitler Ban be revoked and Merkel would have it done in a jiffy for them.

Because it is of no strategic benefit to allow the enemy to regain resources such as highly expensive and difficult to replace, trained mounts.

Grow up and ask me my opinion like an adult.

11. altayrneto

altayrneto Prince

They can make a German Nazi civ under Karl Dönitz, the Hitler's sucessor chosed by he fuhrer himself. He was the commandant of the u-boat fleet, and at the end of the war, he became cammander-in-chief of the German Navy. Positive point: There's a consensus about his non-involvement with the Holocaust. Negative point: Nobody really cares about him...

12. Galbias

Galbias Prince

Nothing like negotiating a peace treaty to take all of someone's money and luxuries after slaughtering their soldiers and having them graciously thank you for the privilege.

13. HeliosDisciple

HeliosDisciple Warlord

Paranoia is a mental condition often characterized by delusions of persecution

cooldude1128, isau and whyidie like this.
  14. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

You'll see Hitler in the game about the time they bring back the slavery civic.

15. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Isn't the Aztec Eagle Warrior already creating slaves out of defeated units?

16. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

We wont get Hitler in at least 150 more years so stop trying.

I literally hope they make a Civ game with an all-female cast. Half just to see the reactions here (other half because i just prefer female leaders)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    liv and Gorbles like this.
  17. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Your personal subjective evaluation of how you prefer a specific art style over another is about as far from objectivity as anything can ever get.

18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

@Gorbles this forum is as objective as a fundamental christian at a gay parade.
    Viva la difference!

19. kamex

kamex Emperor

Well we've had Stalin and Mao in the past in Civ IV who are arguably worse that Hitler... The only reason we didn't get Hitler then was probably due to the legal issues in Germany as mentioned...

Still I don't think we'll see any any of those in VI. The attitude seems to have changed to the point where anything controversial is removed - slavery, global warming, disease, even pollution. I'm almost certain pigs were removed as a food source because of potential conflicts with the religions which disallow it... Let's make a game about the development of humanity while ignoring all the nasty bits.

20. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Stalin and Mao characterised their countries for far longer. For all of Germany's Hitler hangover, he was in power for only 12 years and his political legacy was destroyed immediately after he died - unlike the systems Stalin and Mao presided over, which outlasted them by decades. The biggest argument against Hitler isn't German censorship (which strictly speaking applies to symbols like the Swastika - a game could technically get away with namechecking Adolf Hitler, say as a Great X, or having his swastikas replaced by iron crosses on a Hitler graphic), it's that historically speaking he wasn't a very successful or ultimately influential leader. Given that Civ treats Germany, Prussia and (save for the Civ IV expansions) the HRE as a single continuous entity there are many successful German leaders who have yet to be used and aren't too recent (as Kohl or Merkel are) - Hitler comes well down the list of candidates.

Slavery was only in one version of the game and disease wasn't at all save as a random event. The loss of the pollution and global warming mechanics are unfortunate, and I still hold out hope that a later version of the game can reintroduce slavery and disease in more appropriate forms (slavery was a fine mechanic in Civ IV, it just didn't represent either slavery as a historical system or the major way in which slavery shaped civilization - i.e. through trade and migration - well)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017