Not Enough Iron

I've been lucky to have oil and iron everywhere. Niter has been harder, mostly because there's a much higher demand for it.

I've been lucky to have oil and iron everywhere. Niter has been harder, mostly because there's a much higher demand for it.

I'm still making my way through my first full game, but had a bunch of iron (and horses) near me, so I never ran into issues there.

Niter was definitely less common as well, although I did have one source which was easy to hook up, and that was barely enough for my troops, although I had a second source that I could have fairly easily hooked up if I was really running low.

Just got to coal and found at least 2-3 that I can use, so I assume that will be enough for me. A couple turns away from unlocking oil, although by now I have a large stretch of land that hopefully I won't have a problem with it. But I do like on the resource model that I definitely need to pay a lot closer attention. I'm also definitely trying to plan things out, so that I can run to the tech to get the resource online well before I actually need to use it.

I haven't had an iron shortage personally. But yes, oil is in short supply for me.

It's usually aluminium that I lack, or coal. The rest seems fine.

In the game i am playing right now, island plates. Has 1 coal in the 3/4 of the map I have uncovered. There is one large landmass unexplored that I suppose could house another 30 coal deposits.

I had to build a city in the snow/tundra just to claim it. Guess I won't be causing global warming ;).

I've been seeing more iron than I did in R&F and vanilla in my GS games (particular around my civ). Not ridiculously so, but enough so I have some rather than none on a regular basis.
I think nitre was lacking in one of my games, but that sort of defaulted to the normal pacifist run after the early eras so didn't matter.

RNG folks. Some times there's not enough, sometimes there's plenty. In my last game, I had no Coal but was swimming in Oil. I was putting Oil on my toast and in my coffee.

Scarcity is the whole point of the resource feature. If they have to set it so that you always have enough resources, they might as well just remove the whole system.

In my standard size, 8 civ games, when I reached oil stage, I had conquered 4 civs, and had about 70% of the land. So i was quite surprised to see that I only had 3 oil, 2 of them pretty close togeather.
Since my land was made from the land of 5 civs, my own and 4 conquered, that means only 2 of 5 would have had oil, one of them 2 deposits.

I am ok with units requiring a number of resources to build. But fuel on the other hand... One oil can power a factory and some other buildings. Or one tank.

One oil well only produces enough oil for two tanks. And we have cars in the millions. No proportionality.

Played a few games with different maps and civs now and I haven't had a problem with iron or niter, maybe not within my borders but at least within reach of a new city and/or traded from the AI.
Can't speak about later-game resources as haven't gone that far yet.
Perhaps the RNG gods do not smile on you?

I actually like this. One of the things I always liked more about civ is finding good land, city spots beeing important. civ6 is so bad in this aspect, since every settleable land is worth it. BC of districts, the importance of land, city spots and resources has been diminished a lot. So, strategic resources beeing scarce, makes some city spots much more valuable than others, which the game lacks a lot

Oil is globally not so scarce as people think or as this game would have us believe.
IRL its just more cost-efficient to conquer oil, at least for some *cough* countries.

Top Bottom