Not getting correct # of city states

billybgame

King
Posted about this, and another issue, in Tech forum, but never have gotten a reply. Had this happen again, and am really thinking on not playing until I figure this out. Way too many hours wasted.

At first I thought it was just when I use Random maps/leaders. I would get the incorrect # of city states for the world size. At times. Sometimes it was ok, but not others.

Now, this time, I actually set up the game, with Huge world, Highlands map, and One City Challenge. Had my 14 civs, but did not get 28 city states.

I'm not going to waste my time with this game anymore, until I get this resolved.

What makes zero sense is how once the game starts, you cannot verify how many city states are in it. You can verify your game world size and number of civs, but never CS, until you meet them.

Unless there is some secret method someone can tell me about.

The oddest thing is I've searched online for this and gotten nothing. I've noticed this many times, so it seems it should be a common problem.

How many city states you got instead of 28? Were Venice or Austria in Game because they can "remove" city states

Do you use any mods?

Like I said, I quit in like 1700 AD, having found only 11. I had thoughts of uncovering the remainder of the map, but I I've seen this happen in Random settings games too many times, so I can see the writing on the wall. Yes, Venice was an AI opponent. However, they surely didn't have 10 conversions. I could probably tell right away when there was something amiss, as I didn't meet any city states for many turns after the start.....with 28 they should've been all over the place, but mostly were on the map borders.

I may load it up and waste my time to uncover the whole map at some point. Maybe.

Am I the only CIv 5 player that has seen the city states screw up? I find that very hard to believe, given it's been numerous times.

I also know I can't be the only one that likes random settings.

Edit: Played more.....am nearing 1850 AD....found the last Civ, amazingly.....and one more C/S. Venice has added 2.....and I had found 13....so that makes 16. Still have some map to uncover, but no way in hell will I get to 28.

Last edited:
You can use ingame editor mod to reveal whole map. You can find it from Steam. Did you know that Greece has hidden ability and it can heal on city state territory? That is amazing

Did you know that Greece has hidden ability and it can heal on city state territory?
All melee units can heal in neutral/enemy land, but this not-well-documented buff is even better than that! Greek units may enter and remain in city-state territory without causing a trespassing incident, and without lowering influence with the city-state. Consequently: (1) Greek units heal without making the CS angry (like they would if you were friends or allied with the CS). (2) Greek navel units heal in neutral CS territory (probably even in enemy CS territory, but I have not tried that). (3) Roads through neutral (and maybe even enemy) CS territory can be used for city connections and fulfilling CS road building quests.

You can verify the save file of that game to see the CS in that game. All of them.
Although many times the game cannot assign a starting plot for extra CS (too close to another city especially major civ, or too horrible of a land that the CS AI will not settle, like a snow field). This is even more common in irregular maps; Highlands have too many mountains, Pangaea plus relegate CS to the borders and islands, etc. Try regular Pangaea/Continents and let's see if that is still the case. 14 civs might also be a cause.

All melee units can heal in neutral/enemy land, but this not-well-documented buff is even better than that!
Greeks do heal in CS as friendly territory, so 20 hp healed per turn

Forgot I made this other post and posted this in tech support earlier....had this happen yet again, so dumbfounded and am about done wasting my time...here is post from earlier and game file last played.

Once again, just put in a crapton of hours in a Huge game, Highlands map. So 12 civs, and got nowhere near 24 city states. I am going to have to quit playing until this is figured out.:( I emailed the HoF staff here, so maybe they can shed some light as I haven't gotten much help here.

The only random setting I had was which AI opponents, which is not uncommon play style at all, I would imagine.

The crux of the problem for me is why can you not see "in game" after the game starts, how many city states there are. Seems awfully important, given I've seen this incorrect ratio countless times since I started playing Civ 5, resulting in many quit games and denied HoF submissions.

Game breaking for me. Going to have to set it aside until can figure this out more. Quite unfortunate.

The last turn I played save is below. Was nearing a dominating Science win. I am pretty certain there are less than 20 city states....Russia just took one....then I uncovered the map via tech.....takes forever to unveil a huge/Highlands map by land! So, still had hope, until the tech unveiling.

Attachments

• Harald Bluetooth_0343 AD-1923.Civ5Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 208
Now, this time, I actually set up the game, with Huge world, Highlands map, and One City Challenge. Had my 14 civs, but did not get 28 city states.
Next game you play, please post a screenshot from just before you start the game. Maybe someone can spot something askance.
What makes zero sense is how once the game starts, you cannot verify how many city states are in it. You can verify your game world size and number of civs, but never CS, until you meet them.
Agreed, that does seem like a detail the game should expose.
The oddest thing is I've searched online for this and gotten nothing. I've noticed this many times, so it seems it should be a common problem.
Sorry, I think it may be something particular to your setup.
…I could probably tell right away when there was something amiss, as I didn't meet any city states for many turns after the start.....with 28 they should've been all over the place, but mostly were on the map borders.
That is a common experience with the “plus” scripts.
Am I the only CIv 5 player that has seen the city states screw up? I find that very hard to believe, given it's been numerous times.
Yes, sorry, this is not a problem I have heard of before! Sometimes when players bump up the number of CS, many do not actually get in the game. There will be CS settlers wandering around until they get picked up by barbs! I have never heard of problems when using the default numbers as per the map size.

I do get the correct ratio at times......just been trying to get Highlands checked off my VVV, and two games in a row, at least, that don't have the correct ratio. So, it's very confusing....almost like hit and miss and don't know sometimes until well into the game.

Edit: Something I should add is, I have seen this since I started playing Civ 5, 3 years ago or so. And, on two different laptops. So, it was reinstalled from Steam and again, this issue arises.

I have never changed the C/S slider.

I do play random many times. I have always liked random settings in Civ, and I certainly suspect I am not alone. Yet, I wonder if Civ 5 is handling random games properly.

Last edited:
Ok....so have tried two more Huge map games, and both were short the 24 C/S. Last file attached.

So, I tested and restarted with same civ and map(Highlands), but Tiny size and Quick. Lo and behold, 8 C/S. File attached.

So, not sure....is it more possible to get incorrect # of C/S the larger your map gets? Pretty positive it is a game issue and not a me issue, so that's why I'm still baffled there isn't lots of history of this.

I've seen this so many times. Maybe it was all on Large or Huge maps. I do know I saw it many times on this Huge/Highlands map. Last time came close....20 C/S. Other times 18....17.

Sure seems like a trend.

Attachments

• Harald Bluetooth_0367 AD-1947.Civ5Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 190
  • Harald Bluetooth_0120 AD-1200.Civ5Save
    646.9 KB · Views: 196
have you tried more "regular" maps like Pangaea/Continents? I think it's the map issue rather than just game issue.
the map generator will place civilizations on "not too horrible start" spot only, and start with major civs before minor civs. if there are not enough of such spots on the map then the last ones will not be placed and completely left out.

I do play random many times. I have always liked random settings in Civ, and I certainly suspect I am not alone. Yet, I wonder if Civ 5 is handling random games properly.
People seem to enjoy the surprise of not knowing who is on the map. I like my opponents all having some sort of theme. But I don’t think random games is your problem.
I think it's the map issue rather than just game issue.
This seems likely to me. Firaxis never did get the game tuned well for anything other standard size and pace. It wouldn’t be at all surprising for certain overloaded map scripts to break in subtle ways. Nothing but Pangaea / Continents gets enough use for this sort of pattern to be discovered.

Maybe that's the key then......I know I do like playing larger maps many times. But, I have had larger map games accepted by the HoF here, so it has worked....but for Highlands map, yeah, it may be that's why it's not getting to 24 on a Huge game. Ton of mountains, so maybe not as many good sites. Although, if you check the file I posted, there are large tracts of unoccupied land, where surely you would think the game could place more city states.

Maybe that's the key then......I know I do like playing larger maps many times. But, I have had larger map games accepted by the HoF here, so it has worked....but for Highlands map, yeah, it may be that's why it's not getting to 24 on a Huge game. Ton of mountains, so maybe not as many good sites. Although, if you check the file I posted, there are large tracts of unoccupied land, where surely you would think the game could place more city states.

I have discovered that this is the reason - on some maps the CS settler is placed on a mountain. They do not know how to move their settler and so they die. I have not found a good way to get myself 24 CS but I assume that setting the number to something like 30 would result in at least 24 CS being in the game.

It has nothing to do with good or bad spots. The map generator just fails to put their settler on a non-mountain tile and apparently CS settlers never received instruction to do anything else than SIP.

Top Bottom