1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Not having resources that I ought to have!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by jabberwalkee_, Jan 29, 2008.

1. jabberwalkee_

jabberwalkee_ Goodie hut resident

I have built an oil well and a Uranium mine and neither are adding the resource.

The Uranium mine has a direct rail line to a city (had it before I built the mine) and the oil is on a one square island which also has rail.

Any ideas?

2. Bahacles44

Bahacles44 Chieftain

Unless you have a city on the island, your resource must be connected to a fort to get it off the island.

3. Willem

Willem Chieftain

Do you have the right techs for them? Both Oil and Uranium are revealed on the map before you can actually use them. You can build the improvements but they aren't available to your empire until you get the proper techs.

4. jabberwalkee_

jabberwalkee_ Goodie hut resident

Really? That's pretty dumb. It means there is no way to actually get that resource.

I figured it might be a bug though because I'm still not getting the Uranium and that's definately connected.

EDIT: Really Bahacles44? I'll check the help thing to see what they are......

EDIT EDIT: Oil - Scientific method reveals and combustion allows (and allows construction of well). I've got both of those and have built a well.

Uranium needs fission though so i can understand that.

Is it true that a resource on an island can't be routed?

5. Verge

Verge Let's hug it out

You do indeed need fission. And correct, you cannot connect resources on islands to the wider trade network without a direct link to a city on that trade network.

6. Willem

Willem Chieftain

Yes. You need it to connect to a city on the island first. There's no direct route when a body of water is inbetween.