Not major, but still irritating...

This seems to happen quite often:

There is land in your outer outer city radius which is useful/valuable to you; you see the AI approaching it with a settler, so you buy the tiles to ensure they are yours. The AI settles adjacent to the tiles you've bought, but they remain yours, not his.

Later, the AI city goes into rebellion, and offers itself to you. If it's a poor city, you don't want to keep it. BUT if you refuse it and let it be a free city, it then grabs the tiles adjacent to it, including the ones you so expensively purchased.

Grrrrr.

Quite often ... really?

Anyway, I think solution would be to conquer an raze the city once it's become a free city. Afaik. you don't get grievance penalties from razing a free city, at least I don't think so. Of course I don't know if the same bug(?) you describe here would make those tiles go un-owned once you raze the city.

Quite often ... really?

Anyway, I think solution would be to conquer an raze the city once it's become a free city. Afaik. you don't get grievance penalties from razing a free city, at least I don't think so. Of course I don't know if the same bug(?) you describe here would make those tiles go un-owned once you raze the city.

The tiles do go away. You have to buy them again, and if another city is built by an AI, rinse, lather, repeat. I will sometimes put a unit in the space that used to have a city, but it can get annoying.

Only happened to me once, but it was very painful. It was my first attempt at an OCC and the Khmer settled close to my border. After it flipped to me I had to reject it, but it stole the last flat land tile in my city, I had planned for my spaceport. To make matters even worse I had just signed an alliance with the Khmer, so I'd have to wait 25+ turns before even trying to conquest and raze it. Back then I wasn't as good at the game as I'm now and didn't see how I could still win, so I just rage quit and never opened that save file again.

Top Bottom