Not only UU/UB for new civ

richardsvensson

Chieftain
I have thought about what could be changed for civs, either when editing an existing civ or when creating a new one. Some of them are obvious and some are not that obvious, but could still be worth a thought. Maybe this could (after some discussion and a lot of input from all of you) develop into some kind of guide/checklist when creating civs...?

Aspects to think about when creating a civ

Trait for the civ and/or the leader
In my opinion you could create both a civtrait and a leadertrait, since I think it should be possible in the future to play with different leaders for a civ. I don't mean mixing an american leader with the civ of Spain, but to choose from perhaps Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelt, or something like that, when choosing the american civ. I think the trait could be a combination of bonuses and penalties, to make the civ get that special feeling of beeing, say, american. The personality of the leader should be carefully adjusted as well.

UniqueUnit
I think the civ-specifik units adds a lot of the feeling to the game. I still remember playing multiplayer with my friend on Civ IV and he was wiped out by Saladins Camel-Archer-army. It wouldn't have been the same if it was horse-archers, or something like that. It really builds the character for the player playing with the civ, and for the players encountering the civ. In my opinion there could well be several units, and some could be made stronger than the units they replace, and others could be made weaker. Of great importance is of course to keep the balance, and not make a super-power.

UniqueBuilding
The unique buildings are, like the units, a great way of improving the certain feeling of the civilization. They can too be several per civ, and some could be stronger than the building they replace and others could be weaker.

Special Advisor
This is an idea I found in the forum, but couldn't find when I searched for it now. The mod-creator, whoever that was, was going to create a very interesting system with Advisors. As i remember it, and understood it, it should be possible to hire and fire advisors to the positions of Economic Advisor, Military Advisor, Foreign Advisor and Science Advisor. They would probably keep on giving you the same advice, but besides that they would give you a bonus of some kind. This is a great idea that I am looking forward to use, but maybe this idea can be used when creating a civ as well? Maybe the default advisors could be made civ-specific, but with very low bonuses if any at all.

Civil Policy
The Civil Policy aspect of the game could be affected by the civ as well. Maybe the bonuses could be edited for the civ to make it more like the historical civ, or maybe some civil policy could even be impossible to choose. At least the Civil Policy is an aspect of the game that should be thought of, and considered, when creating a civ.

Unique Historical Action
Another thought I've had when thinking about creating new civs is something like a Unique Historical Action. It could be constructed like a Building/Wonder only possible to construct in the civs capital and perhaps only during a certain timeperiod. They would be pretty similar to the World Wonders, but doesn't really need to be a building, it could be an action instead. Perhaps it would be possible to "Give a Speech" like I have a dream, or Tear down this wall,... for certain civs, at certain times, and they would give some bonuses and perhaps some penalties too. I am sure there are lots of other ideas for this.

Great People
A civ might be more probable to give birth to a Great General than a Great Artist, or vice versa. However, this might be taken care of automatically depending on which buildings are being built.

Are there other aspects as well? Feel free to comment on this and argue what I've suggested.

I like the idea for unique national wonders or a unique project.

For example for a new dutch civilisation, a unique project could be the Dutch water line. Unlocked at engineering, it can only be built in a city bordering a river, and the effects are that enemy units within your territory cannot cross rivers. It would definately add a realistic touch to how the dutch would defend themselves.

One downside is that a lot of national wonders or projects already exist as world wonders, like the pyramids and the notre dame.

Top Bottom