1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Not-So-Useful leaders, city states, special abilities, traits (and so on)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kark, Aug 31, 2012.

1. patsfan454

patsfan454 Warlord

no reaganomics jokes?

2. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Not so useful Spy:
    Me... I ended up dying 3 times in my latest game. I have to study some - anyone got some ISpy books?

3. Lordleoz

Lordleoz Prince

Not so useful leader:
    Henry VIII: can kill advisors.

No so useful UA:
    Mayan Calendar: game ends in the year 2012

4. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Mayan Calender: Western Civilizations all end in 2012 because they love to obsess about doomsdays that no one actually predicted as doomsdays*

5. pensivepeppers

pensivepeppers Chieftain

Uh, Nostradamus?

6. 3335d

3335d CCtP Player

Not-so-useful Unique Ability: Coup d'etat - every 5 turns you go into 2 turns of anarchy where your empire produces nothing, and cities stay in resistance for an additional 2 turns thereafter. Barbarian units will spawn at random within your territory, which will slowly fragment into independent City-States.

7. Kark

Kark Mad berserker

Anonymous Movie Maker (Not-So-Useful Great Artist)
    Not-So-Useful movie about a Great Prophet triggers an unpredictable mix of :c5happy: :c5unhappy: :c5angry: :c5culture: :c5razing: :c5war: & :c5faith: in every city all over the world.

8. patsfan454

patsfan454 Warlord

and now one of the best quotes from wikipedia ever:

9. Arilian

Arilian King

Not so useful UU:

Knight - Don Quijote

STR - 5.
    Can only attack cities with windmills.

10. Zteuer

Zteuer Chieftain

UI: Norwegian oil platforms. +10GP pr turn. This gold is kept in a separate account from regular gold. 4% of the interest earned on this account can be transfered to regular gold each turn.

UA: Norwegian roads. Double upkeep, all units can move 1 tile pr turn. Can be built in water and mountain tiles.

11. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Mighty Switzerland

UA: Swiss Cantons Cities cannot form trade routes to one another until the discovery of flight. Steals city names from the French, German and Italian city lists. Lack of collective government means each production, research or culture decision made requires 5 turns of discussion prior to adoption.

UU: Swiss Mercenaries Replaces Pikeman. upkeep: 5. May not be produced, only bought with gold. May be subsequently bought by other civilizations to fight for them.

UB: Swiss Bank Replaces Bank. Siphons off 5% of gold from other civilizations every turn. Every 100 turns, this must be repaid in full with 10% interest.

Wonder: Parthenon Marbles +5:c5faith:, Immediately sets the first civilization to discover archaeology to 'guarded' with you for the rest of the game.

12. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

Not-So-Useful Social Policy:
    Free Healthcare: each citizen in the empire now costs 10 :c5gold: upkeep.

13. 3335d

3335d CCtP Player

But that would raise your happiness by +20 :c5happy:, make your cities produce +50% :c5production: :c5gold: :c5culture: :c5science: :c5faith:, so it is probably useful.

14. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

You would still be running a major :c5gold: deficit, and unless all of your citizens were working 8 :c5gold: tiles, it wouldn't be worth it.

15. 3335d

3335d CCtP Player

Derp... I'm thinking too much of the Community Call to Power mod that I usually play, which adds later eras more representative of the exponential increase in productivity of the populace in modern times.

Anyway, back to the thread subject.

Not-so-useful Unique Ability: Right to Bear Arms - all cities get -10% :c5production: and :c5science:, and undergo 1 turn of :c5occupied: every 10 turns. During this resistance your :c5gold: produced drops to zero and you need to spend 1000 :c5gold: to quell the crime. Failure to do so can result in a massive barbarian onslaught.

Not-so-useful Unique Ability: Juche - +50% :c5production: in your capital, -90% :c5food: in every other city. For every civ that has a DoF with you, two will automatically be forced to go to war. +1% :c5faith: for every military unit within your borders, but your religion will never spread beyond your borders and you cannot produce :c5greatperson:.

16. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

I don't know how allowing guns makes your cities more stupid. And you mean anarchy, right, not occupied? And I don't know how that creates Rebel Forces against your civ.

17. 3335d

3335d CCtP Player

Scientists would be a bit concerned for their life if it's easier to commit crimes against them, and schools would be plagued by the crime problem as well. Yes, I know that it creates anarchy, not occupation. Just the closest symbol that I could find. As for the rebel forces, it is merely supposed to represent unchecked organized crime.

18. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

I thought organized crime would be able to get guns from other sources, but I guess we're not here to discuss politics.

Not-So-Useful Social Policy: Media Censorship
    +20 :c5happy: in your empire, - 100% :c5culture:. (Actually might be sort of good in some instances)

19. Kark

Kark Mad berserker

Babel Fish Not-So-Useful Unit
    OK, stick one in your ear and you can understand everything said in the animated leader movies, but so what? Did you learn anything useful?

20. Philipum

Philipum Chieftain

Not-so-useful pantheon belief: God of fire

+2 :c5faith: from all tile improvements, which are automatically burned.

Not-so-useful founder belief: UFO worship

+10 :c5happy: for each city following this religion on another planet.

Not-so-useful follower belief: cult suicide

:c5citizen: kill themselves 5 turns after converting.
    (could actually be cool to spread your religion to other civs and reduce their :c5citizen: that way :lol:)

Not-so-useful follower belief: love your ennemies

+2 :c5faith: from each follower :c5citizen:. Output yields from follower :c5citizen: are gifted to civs with which they are at :c5war:.

Not-so-useful enhancer belief: door-to-door preaching

Missionaries cost 1 :c5gold: per turn, cause +1 :c5unhappy: and -1 :c5science: when in your territory, and cause a diplomatic penalty when in foreign territory.

Not-so-useful social policy (under freedom tree): non-violence

+10 :c5happy:, +50% :c5culture:, -100% :c5strength: for all military units, -100% :c5rangedstrength: in all cities, starts a :c5goldenage:.