Note for Map Makers

timerover51

Deity
I just got back from another Caribbean cruise. In looking as some of the maps showing the Caribbean islands, including TETurkhan's Test of Time map, the smaller islands in the Caribbean are pretty much all shown as Plains tiles. Here are a few pictures that I took on this trip. As you can see, the islands are NOT flat, but basically the tops of mountains protruding above the sea. The sea gets very deep very fast near the islands as well. This holds true for many of the islands, with those just to the north of Venezuela: Curacao, Aruba, and Bonaire being among the exceptions. Another exception is the Grand Caymans, which greatly resemble the coral atoll islands of the Pacific. To properly represent the Caribbean islands, wooded hills would be idea, with Ocean tiles starting immediately around them. At the very least, use hills. That does mean that sugar cane will need to be available on Hill tiles, and you will need to start having water resources available on Ocean tiles. I am changing my maps accordingly.
IMG_3858.JPG
IMG_3869.JPG
IMG_3876.JPG

Thinking more about this, I am wondering if the game should have a container port building in the modern era to add to the commercial dock. I have moved that to the Steam Power tech, by the way.

Very nice photos and ideas, Timerover.

For my own mod I have a modern technology, Oceanography, which allows two improvements. First is a commercial fishery, which requires a harbor and adds one food per square. The second is the container port, which requires a seaport (commercial dock) and adds one shield per square. Both the seaport and container port require a river in the city radius, so that you can't just mass produce them in every coastal city. These are powerful buildings.

Very nice photos and ideas, Timerover.

For my own mod I have a modern technology, Oceanography, which allows two improvements. First is a commercial fishery, which requires a harbor and adds one food per square. The second is the container port, which requires a seaport (commercial dock) and adds one shield per square. Both the seaport and container port require a river in the city radius, so that you can't just mass produce them in every coastal city. These are powerful buildings.
I am not up to adding a technology, but I will look at adding a building as a container port.

Top Bottom