"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten." (aka All Things Robin of Sherwood)

Valka D'Ur

Hosting Iron Pen in A&E
Retired Moderator
Awhile ago, @Zardnaar mentioned this program in an OT thread, and it brought back fond memories of this 3-season version of the Robin Hood legend.

Robin of Sherwood is a series I was reluctant to get into at first, given the elements of fantasy and the supernatural found in it. But a friend finally persuaded me to try it, and I'm glad I did.

This series appeals to fans for numerous reasons - the adventure, the reimagining of the legends, the setting, the actors, and the music.

Some of us got sidetracked into a conversation up in OT, so I thought it might be a good idea to open a thread here, so we'll have a designated place to reminisce and discuss, and maybe introduce this series to new fans.

I've found that there are episodes uploaded on the Daily Motion site.

A little background about the series:

There are three seasons, starting in 1983. The first two star Michael Praed as Robin, and the third stars Jason Connery as Robert of Huntingdon, who takes over the mantle of Robin Hood when the first is gone.

Is any of this series historically accurate? Well, King Richard and King John turn up in a few episodes. Some places are real.

The rest is a mix of legends reinterpreted through the centuries and romanticized to the point where historians are still trying to figure what parts of the legend are based on real historical facts, particularly if there ever was a real person known as Robin Hood (Robin-in-the-Hood).

The series is available on DVD, and the first two episodes (Robin and the Sorceror, pt. 1 and 2) have been published in prose form. There are numerous clips on YouTube, including outtakes (aka bloopers).

And of course, there's a lot of fanfic and fan art on the internet and in print form (the fanzines I found on eBay are HUGE).

"Nothing's forgotten" is one of the themes running throughout the series. People are not forgotten, loved ones are not forgotten, pride and dignity in the face of oppression are not forgotten.

Any thoughts, comments, favorite episodes, characters, scenes, music from Clannad? Here's your chance to talk about them. :)

Watched another couple of episodes tonight. Around halfway through season 3.

It's very 80's but overall enjoying it. Got sidetracked last two weeks.

Turning into British month.

Robin of Sherwood
Blackadder seasons 1-4
New Statesmen season 1
Taskmaster seasons 1-11 excluding 9.

Watched it in the 80's as a kid but the Clannad theme song stick in my head for decades.

I don't know if the whole series is on Daily Motion. I'll watch as much as they have, though.

According to the end credits, Nasir was in the first episode, yet I don't remember seeing him. :confused:

Maybe he doesn't turn up until episode 2?

I don't know if the whole series is on Daily Motion. I'll watch as much as they have, though.

According to the end credits, Nasir was in the first episode, yet I don't remember seeing him. :confused:

Maybe he doesn't turn up until episode 2?

He was in it early I don't remember the exact details.

I'll rewatch if necessary.

Finished it last night. Was kinda fun still would have been great in the 80's.

It was. That's when I first saw it.

Apparently there was supposed to be a 4th season and Marion's leaving was a cliffhanger. But the show was canceled, so that's that.

Yeah I've read that. The writer said if he knew the show was getting canceled he would have married them.

Yeah I've read that. The writer said if he knew the show was getting canceled he would have married them.
It's more realistic, though, for her to be hesitant about marriage so soon after her first husband's gruesome murder/execution.

The fanfic I'm currently reading takes place two years post-series, and Marion is at the abbey... but comes back to help the outlaws rescue Robin when he's been captured by Guy of Gisburne and both the Earl of Huntingdon and King John are at Nottingham.

I don't know how it turns out, since there are still a couple of chapters to go.

007 Sean's brother!?

His son.

Here's a scene from Season 3, episode 1. It's a year later, after the end of Season 2, in which the original Robin was killed. Marion's father, Sir Richard, has bought her a pardon from Prince John, and they're being guested at the castle of the Earl of Huntingdon.

We did see his son, Robert, at the end of Season 2, when he feels the first call of Herne the Hunter shortly after Robin's death. Herne deems him the best man to take over the mantle of Robin Hood. He rejects it at that time, but finally accepts it at the end of the events of this episode.

During the events of this particular clip, Robert is still carrying out the duties expected of the son and heir to Huntingdon, even though he despises the corruption that goes on at court - corruption by the Sherriff and his brother, the cruelty of Sir Guy of Gisburne (Sir Guy is the jackass who taunts Marion about dancing in Sherwood, calling her "Lady Wolfshead" - "wolfshead" is another term for "outlaw"), and the necessity of dealing with such people.

Robert - later on he takes the name of Robin - is among the dancers, and warns Marion about Lord Owen.

Top Bottom