1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Notre-Dame is burning!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Why? All that stuff only mattered in the original because it was the original which is, as you say, gone. However you make the new glass, it's going to have been made by a bunch of millennials in 2019, so it's (culturally) worthless anyway :)

2. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

Yes, it seems it were the 19th century stuff that got burnt. Like that horrendous spire. The important glass windows from 13th are intact. Organ and other treasures are fine too plus the whole structure. So it has not been that bad after all. Hope it will not take 100+ years to rebuild like the Sacred Family.

3. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Woah, great news !

4. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Yes exactly. And one day our "modern" glass will aquire some sort of prestige and cultural value.

5. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

I'll admit there are some parts of their culture which are nice. But we're talking about a country that once literally seized the Notre Dame from the Catholic church and rededicated it to the 'cult of reason' (beheading statues of Biblical kings for good measure).

Not always in the most convenient way, and definitely not when it is so culturally important.

Changed my mind; apparently the spire was very old but was replaced in the 19th century. But I do think it should be rebuilt more in line with the church's aesthetic.

:lmao:

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Maybe the french posters will find something to laugh about, despite the tragedy :)

rah and SupremacyKing2 like this.
  7. Paul in Saudi

Paul in Saudi Emperor

All that lead in the smoke must be quite an environmental problem.

8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

It is quite easy to cherry pick isolated events from the history of any nation (or person for that matter) that is less wholesome than normal, but to use that incident to frame an entire history is idiotic. It's like saying that the lynching of Laura Nelson in 1911 is the story of US culture and history. If you don't like French culture, fine, but to explain that dislike through a single event that happened over 200 years ago in a time of revolution, is a bit silly. Was the French revolution any worse than the War of the Roses? Or the Russian Revolution?

Silurian likes this.
  9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Nice try, but I think that fails at every level. Why would you want to find humor is this? Just let them mourn if they want.

10. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

The windows are intact. The lead did not become fluid, and the higher lead evaporation from somewhat higher temperature of the solid lead will not have been significant and exhausted away in the big air convections of the fire.
    I guess it will be minimal
    (and hey... before we had copper for drinkwater piping it was all lead piping, and most older houses in NL of before 1950-1960, when not replaced, have still partially lead piping. You taste it, unless you let the water stream for a short while)

11. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

beheading statues of Biblical kings for good measure
    Such iconoclasms happened more in history
    A big one was during the protestants revolution here in NL whereby the catholic churches became protestant churches and all kinds of statues, not only of Saints, were smashed by the protestants in a couple of days.
    The same happened in the Byzantine iconoclasms around 700-800. And from what I read in Wiki part of the growing schisma at that time between the West and East Catholic church.

12. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

the destruction of the worship places and idols of the 'false gods' of Canaan?

13. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

yes
    In the Byzantine case from a ban on them by a Pope
    In NL the revival of Old Testamentic strictness and the Ten Commandments (Calvin) and ofc also caused from the harsh prosecutions by the Inquisition, just before the Dutch Revolt started.

14. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

no, I mean literally

15. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

I am not sure if I understand you
    Those Saints were seen by the protestants (the mobs) as the false gods... their worshipped statues needed to be destroyed. The churches, to be taken over by the protestants, were not destroyed but needed to be cleaned.

16. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Old churches collapse at some point, and get repaired. 1300 obviously seems like vastly ancient to most in this thread, but it isn't really; in fact there are almost no old churches here which are after 1300. And i wouldn't personally mourn much if (eg) part of the 5th, 6th, 7th century or other cathedrals here are ruined in this way, cause parts of them have already been ruined and are rebuilt, as will happen with this gothic one in Paris.

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

He is mentioning the Bronze Age Israelites' destruction of the Canaanite idols as an example of iconoclasm?

18. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

ahhh
    I think it is
    When icons are destroyed because of religious conquering or sectarian disputes, religious or otherwise, I think that is what iconoclasm means. Would for me also include the destruction/removal of statues of Saddam Hussein, Stalin etc.
    The Israelites conquered Canaan.

19. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

I was wrong! The window survived! :clap:

The French are as atheistic, as arrogant, as greedy and self-absorbed as ever. They don't deserve their cathedrals.

I don't have a high opinion of Protestantism. Just to clear that up.

If children were being sacrificed in the Notre Dame I'd hold the torch myself.

20. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Something about the Catholic church sheltering pedophiles