1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NOTW XXXV: Life's A Bore (Sign-Up Thread)

Discussion in 'Mafia/NOTW' started by Autolycus, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Autolycus

Autolycus Emperor

Autolycus, the Border Guard, looked suspiciously at the three missionaries bickering before him. Sandalphon had ordered that the border be opened, but he wasn't convinced. Foreigners were nothing but trouble, always jealous of the Sidar's precious secrets of life. "Alright, your papers are in order, you can head on down to the village of Sinon, it's just down the hill. But don't go any further. We'll know if you do."

Rules ( Much blatantly borrowed from PaulusIII and many others before him.)
    Welcome to another installment of the Night of the Werewolves series of games: " Life's a Bore". This is a long-running series of mafia games on the forums; for more information, check out the information thread which contains the premise of the game, basic rules, some information on the world of the game and links to previous installments of the game. Some parts of the rules are explained further on in the post; please note that this is still subject to GM change though.

Characters
    Each of the players will receive a character PM at the beginning of the game, which will have the following info;
    Role; the role you have been given. This one is publicly available.
    Race/Nationality: Your nationality. For most of you this will be Sidar. This is not public info
    Base strength (Modified Strength): Your strength in combat without any modifiers.
    Ability: If you have one, this is noted here.
    Special Item: If you have one, this is noted here.
    Victory Condition: The victory you need to achieve. The default victory is National Integrity, this victory condition is achieved once all the bad guys are dead.
    Personal Goal: A special character motivation. Every character has at least one.
    Background info: A short description of your character's background. Overall a more flavoured description of your character; use it for RP purposes if you wish.

Characters are given out at random at the beginning of the game.

Day/night schedule, and update format

The game will consist of days lasting 48 hours and nights lasting 24 hours. Voting and use of player abilities will be closed at the end of the day at 4:30 EDT, after which I will put up an update as soon as possible (Same goes for the use of night abilities).

Updates will be at the dawn, noon and evening of a day. The update will take note of public happenings (deaths, executions, results of votes, items or info revealed) as well as flavour. Also note that private information such as results of abilities will be revealed to the player in question just after the update. This Game uses the Public and Secret Voices Mechanics, I encourage you to use them both extensively

If I know in advance that there's going to be a problem with the schedule, I'll note it in the thread and adjust the schedule accordingly. If for some reason I'm not able to update (such as technical trouble) assume that the votes close at the usual time, and start/end times for the next game day or night will be given as soon as I'm back to update. Day or night extensions may be granted if I fail to give game-critical info in time, such as ability results.

Voting process

As noted in the regular rules, each day there is a vote which will lead to one of the players in the game being dispatched at the end of the day. This vote is available to everyone, and can be used by bolding the name or role of a player in your post. Bringing out a vote every day is mandatory.

Support votes are also possible for everyone in place of the execution vote (and thus fulfill the voting requirement as well); these votes subtract votes from the execution tally for the player you wish to support. To give a support vote to someone, post the name of the player you wish to support in bold green.

There might also be items up for vote; if there are, these will be noted in the GM updates, as well as the color to be used in the voting. Items can be voted to players, and that items will be given out at the end of the day to the player with the most votes. These votes are made besides the execution tally, and it is not necessary to bring out a vote on items.

Every player has one public execution vote which must either be used for an accusation or a support, as well as a vote for every item up for public vote. These votes will be tallied at the end of the day, and the result of the vote will be made public in the evening update in which the execution is carried out and items up for vote are given to the players with the most votes. Please note that this result does not necessarily agree with the public vote tally though; there might be people with hidden votes or modifiers to votes. The precise way in which a vote result was achieved is known only to the GM.

Item handling

Some characters will carry special items; these may have strength bonuses, have triggered abilities, or other uses. Items are not publicly visible.

Also, if a player wishes, he can:
    reveal an item in private to another player
    give an item in private to another player
    reveal an item to the public
    put an item up for public vote

Revealing an item will only reveal the name of the item, not its function. The function is generally only known to the owner.

Flavour

The game is set in the Fall from Heaven universe, with a bit of creative license applied to it. Facts about the FFH universe gotten wrong can be blamed on the GM.

Communication

Communication between living players is possible in the game thread during the day; this should be in character as much as possible. If you have any overly OOC posts, please take them to this thread. Talking in public during the night is completely prohibited, unless you are explicitly told you can!!!. Private talks are fair game during the night of course; this can be by PM or by IM, whatever you want.

If you are dead, you cannot talk to other living players about the game anymore, whether in public or private; ghost comments (ie. comments from dead players in the thread) should be kept to a minimum, and certainly not try to influence anything or reveal information about the game.

PM's between players or from the GM to a player are not allowed to be quoted directly. This means character PM, results of abilities, and whatever else I might send to you.

I encourage forwarding PM's or excerpts of IM conversations to me (even though I have sometimes forgotten to do so in the past ) so that we know what's going on. You can always ask questions or just talk to us about the game through PM or IM, though whether we answer depends entirely on the nature of the question.

One more thing: If you think there has been a GM mistake, inform me in private. I'll take action and try to fix it behind the scenes as soon as possible.

The Twist!!!!
    You are Sidar, so you have the capacity to fade. If you are not currently a shade, the lynch mob will simply insist that you fade. If you are able to do this,(i.e. are a Sidar) you will become a shade. I will send you a PM detailing any and all changes to your role at that time. Unless you are told you may do otherwise, please do not communicate with Shades in or out of the thread. If you cannot become a shade (because you already are one or are not a Sidar), you will die and your victory affiliation will be revealed.

Most important rule for the whole game

Have fun!

Signups ~21/30
    1. Renata
    2. Zack
    3. Methos
    4. civplayah
    5.Mango Elephant
    6.Nictel
    7.Domination3000
    8.Choxorn
    9. Lightfang
    10.Earthling
    11.Romanichine
    12.Ekolite
    13.Seon
    14.Pinman
    15.Ravus_Sol
    16. bestrfcplayer
    17.classical_hero
    18. Takhisis
    19.aramazd
    20.Beefy187
    21.King_Flevance
    22.landlubber
    23.kennigit
    24.Diamondeye
    25 Frozen In Ice
    26.Skooma Addict
    27.Flamingzaroc121
    28. cip
    29. J-man

Reserves
    1.PaulusIII
    2.Winston Hughes

2. Renata

Renata homicidal jungle cat GOTM Staff

One. :)

3. landlubber

landlubber Scottish Nationalist

Put me down as a reserve.

4. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

In as usual.

Finally a game that actually uses the voices mechanic....

5. Autolycus

Autolycus Emperor

Most, by implication, use it. It's just that almost no one seems to actually use it.

6. Krill

Krill Deity

Infor the kill.

7. civplayah

civplayah fronter

I'll play.

8. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

I'll do it; I've never done this before.

9. Nictel

Nictel Emperor

This will be my third time as a Shade, so in :)

10. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

In. 5 chars

11. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

In, and you should post this on the NOTW Info Thread.

12. LightFang

LightFang "I'm the hero!"

I will give this a shot.

13. Earthling

Earthling Deity

NOOO, that's how you jinx it, like being the only non-elf in a city of elfs.

Looks like great fun though, and not starting the WFYABTA too soon ;)

14. Romanichine

Romanichine Samurai

Okay, I'm in.

15. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

In. Nice to see you by the way Mango. :)

16. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

In for the fun, not love :D

17. PaulusIII

PaulusIII Unholy Warlord

Signing up for a reserve spot.

18. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I'm bored.

19. Autolycus

Autolycus Emperor

Should I take that as an "in", classical_hero?

20. Pinman

Pinman Demons & Brazil

I'm in.