[NFP] November Update Analysis

Lily_Lancer

Deity
0: The game is still buggy, none of the previous bugs are fixed.
The peace deal bug still exists(you can get all of your enemy's cities via a peace deal) and allows you to get super-fast boring abused victories.

1: AIs have more incentive to build walls. If 0 being fixed it is a good change. However as 0 still exists this basically does nothing.

2: Babylon strategy: Prioritize on gold at first , start with double city and try to get 500 gold. Build a slinger to kill a barb, then 3 archers(don't waste gold on upgrading slingers), upgrade 2 Xbows, then chop Pike & Shot. If you collect some money after that you can use them to upgrade the 3rd archer and your slinger to Xbow. The first 500 gold is vital.

3: City State analysis, Nalanda and Wolin are super-good, others have moderate strength.

4: Hero mode, Rome is the top-1 Civilization in this mode. Heroes are so strong, you can easily destroy a Civ with Arthur and his Questing knights only. Heroes also have their power grow by era. In future era most of the heroes will be more powerful than GDRs.

5: New GPs, none of them are actually game changing. Well, we get our first 2-charge Great General, however warrior monks at Industrial Era is just joke.

Question: How do Zhou Daguan & Cold War synergize?

6: Side findings:

If you unlock bombard before catapult, you won't be able to build catapult even if you don't have nitre.

Last edited:
Beowulf can take down a few heroes in one fell swoop. Future-era Beowulf can take down Giant Death Robots by himself.

Sun Wukong is excellent for scouting and pillaging (given his long lifespan and being invisible when not next to an enemy unit).

The Mayan Hero Twins can resurrect Giant Death Robots and unique units.

Hercules can complete spaceports and can thoroughly pillage oppidums containing nuclear power plants.

Don't forget about the Maui and Anansi synergy: Maui creates a bonus or luxury resource and Anansi converts it into science and culture.

Last edited:
Himiko is a top tier hero. She has 8 charges which can be 8 envoys or using a charge for a free levy. If you're already suz when she sends an envoy it comes with bonus faith (50 in ancient, 75 in classical, looks like +25 per age). Whenever you use faith to re-summon her she can easily pay back the faith used and then some. Envoys have a good chance to reveal more heroes and I've had her reveal 5-6 heroes. After her charges are gone she's a super GG giving +10 CS but no bonus movement.

Obviously she's an insta-win hero for Hungary.

Last edited:
Hammurabi is massively op too - just built Ruhr valley (King, Epic) in 1000 AD and first seaside resort in 1060AD!! I could build fighters and bombers too if I had oil yet, as I just discovered flight in 1100AD.

Needs tiny tiny nerf, methinks.......

Seems like any intention of making a fair and balanced Civilization game has gone forever. Hero units destroying future era super weapons, pike and shot units in the 1000s BC, zombies and vampires running amok... This series is no longer about building a civilization to stand the test of time.

The peace deal bug still exists(you can get all of your enemy's cities via a peace deal) and allows you to get super-fast boring abused victories.

It’s Lily bingo time! Oh look, he chose to use an exploit that most people don’t even know exists, then he went onto CivFanatics to complain about it! Thatsabingo!

In the age of information, ignorance is a choice. One can be dissatisfied, when product that he paid for is defective. Like for instance, a bug with heroes+secret societies and monument->obelisk change that removes great works. I mean I get that bugs happen, but some of them are so obvious to check, that it mortifies me how they did go pass qa...

Seems like any intention of making a fair and balanced Civilization game has gone forever. Hero units destroying future era super weapons, pike and shot units in the 1000s BC, zombies and vampires running amok... This series is no longer about building a civilization to stand the test of time.
Build a Civilization to skip the test of time.

Don't meme on Lily; he's just doing bug and play testing for them that they never did.

Certainly better than realizing a problem and pretending it doesn't exist. The fact that we have an old flaw (AI surrendering all cities) coming back and not being dealt with is pretty sad. Though it seems to be NFP specific since I can't repeat it on GS (though I haven't tried either)

Don't meme on Lily; he's just doing bug and play testing for them that they never did.

Certainly better than realizing a problem and pretending it doesn't exist. The fact that we have an old flaw (AI surrendering all cities) coming back and not being dealt with is pretty sad. Though it seems to be NFP specific since I can't repeat it on GS (though I haven't tried either)

It's one thing to be upset about a bug you have no control over, like the screwed up spawning a couple years ago or the AI razing capitals now.

While trade exploits should certainly be patched, his attitude towards them is silly. He's ruining his own game with that bug because he can simply avoid doing it. He clearly has no problem ignoring other aspects of the game (he's posted at length about how he won't trade with the AI or participate in other core mechanics) so I'm not really sympathetic to these posts that act like he has some irresistible compulsion to cheese the AI.

Just don't do it and that's an effective solution for now.

It's one thing to be upset about a bug you have no control over, like the screwed up spawning a couple years ago or the AI razing capitals now.

While trade exploits should certainly be patched, his attitude towards them is silly. He's ruining his own game with that bug because he can simply avoid doing it. He clearly has no problem ignoring other aspects of the game (he's posted at length about how he won't trade with the AI or participate in other core mechanics) so I'm not really sympathetic to these posts that act like he has some irresistible compulsion to cheese the AI.

Just don't do it and that's an effective solution for now.

I mean, this isn't just like some obscure bug where you sell resources 1 at a time and they pay you a lot; that's too impractical to actually encounter. Making peace treaties is extremely common.

But with this bug, how should less experienced players know if it's a bug or not? Is the AI offering 1 city a bug? 3? For all we know some of this is intended.

Cheese the AI or not, I don't actually care about what other people do in their games. it reflects badly on the game, especially when they have a big update and don't fix it. And that's applied to many things across the game's history.

I mean, this isn't just like some obscure bug where you sell resources 1 at a time and they pay you a lot; that's too impractical to actually encounter. Making peace treaties is extremely common.

But with this bug, how should less experienced players know if it's a bug or not? Is the AI offering 1 city a bug? 3? For all we know some of this is intended.

I've literally never encountered it. It's definitely something you need to seek out to do.

Just avoid doing it until they fix it, and the game isn't ruined! It's like magic!

I've literally never encountered it. It's definitely something you need to seek out to do.

Just avoid doing it until they fix it, and the game isn't ruined! It's like magic!

Exactly. There are dozens of other things I'd like them to focus on and/or address before they spend time and resources on some "bug" that I can simply avoid with incredible ease. This literally will not impact your games in less you choose to let it.

Pointing out the existence of the bug is fine, but bringing it up in just about every post since it showed up and acting like it completely breaks the game is complete overkill.

"Just don't do it" is fine when it's something that's binary whether you're exploiting or not, like the pantheon glitch or tricking the AI into trading you all their cities. But what about things like the fact the AI trades you an absurd amount of gold for diplomatic favor (yes, they still do, despite patches)? It's not like it's really exploiting to trade DF. Should you just... ask for less gold? The "just don't do it" doesn't really apply to a lot of cases (and I'd argue more cases are ambigious like this vs binary choices) so I do think firaxis really needs to step up the bug fixing and balance testing.

Yeah, I know an AI flaw is different than an obvious exploit, but the fact they're both there says a lot about how they really need to increase their QC efforts. I hate saying that becuase I know they put a lot of work into the game and I don't want to sound entitled or anything, but there are some big flaws that I'm surprised have not been ironed out at all

But we are talking about one specific thing that one specific person keeps bringing up. I'm giving that person advice on how to stop letting their game experience be ruined.

No one said they shouldn't fix bugs or that we wouldn't like more aggressive QC.

Top Bottom