1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Novgorodian 1st UHV

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by citis, May 25, 2016.

1. citis

citis Chieftain

Novgorod has access to a bronze mine. The second city should be the iron/horse city in the south which has descent production.
    Stability: Build manor houses, courts and adopt militarism.
    Unhealthiness: Use your third settler to settle Esthonia. Pigs, fish straigh away. Conquer Riga soon, cows and honey. Even if it flip to Prussians you have profit for many turns.

You can check the spots in the map in my previous post. 3 cities in Stadland karelia can aquire 6 furs. Riga has access to an additional fur. So you need to settle 12-3-1=8 cities including the starting ones.
    All cities except Riga and the Kievan one are in historical/core positions, so this should help with stability.

2. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Also, the stability penalty from Bureaucracy is halved for Novgorod.

3. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I agree with everyone.
    While Novgorod is manageable ATM, it should certainly be made more fun, and a little boost to your capital (with your UP) could do wonders here.
    Will also do good for the AI.
    And yeah, the halved stability penalty from the UP is also really important.

4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Btw, both the date for the 1st UHV and the Muscovian spawn zone was adjusted in the last commit

5. Sean Meade

Sean Meade Chieftain

Thanks to all! I look forward to trying it again based on these tips.

(Shows you part of my motivation for promoting the strategy guides linked in my signature. ;) )

6. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I am looking forward to test it too. I really like that civ due to starting area, will see how updates works.

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

:)
    Well, other than those 2 things nothing changed yet.
    The city site is the same as before, that will come after 1.4

8. SanJose

SanJose Chieftain

Started RFCE1.4 strange furs counter:)
    Spoiler :

9. citis

citis Chieftain

It isn't strange at all, there's a fur in Novgorod's fat cross.

10. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

It is a little confusing, but furs in the BFC of cities count even if the city's culture hasn't expanded to cover them yet.

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Yeah, I think there are some minor inconsistencies in cultural spread to tiles.
    Anyway, as the previous posters already said, it counts the fur in the BFC of Novgorod.
    Will try to fix it to be more intuitive.

12. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

citis' map inspired me and tried Novgorod again. There is something that was not obvious to me, early on you must be pagan! Pagan shrines for bfc's. and wait patiently for the Byzantine missionaries, they'll come. Fixed flipzone helps a lot, but for my taste still too big for russia. first uhv date seems good. another advise for player, keep as much forest as you can. grassland-forest will be the main source of production. My biggest problem is, you struggle till 1400-1450, then it starts to be fun, end suddenly all ends. I do not want to build an empire on "such" a land, and not having fun after so many years of struggling, plague and dow's.... (is it clear?)

13. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Yeah, it's generally a good idea not to convert right after 1 city get's the desired religion, only if you have it in multiple places.
    Especially if you also have a different religion in a couple cities.
    Paganism only adds 1 instability from religions.

14. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Managed to fix the resource counter. Well, rewrote it.
    Already up on the SVN.
    There might be some minor issues with it when there are multiple cultures around, so please test it out.

15. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

Yes, Riga is quite troublesome to keep from flipping. Since city defenders would run over to the Prussian side anyway, I'd have to leave the city undefended. The Prussians come with a quite decent stack consisting of a couple of Crossbowmen and 4-5 Teutonic Knights. To counter that - I see no other option than to prepare as early as possible by amassing Ushkuiniks and building a few Trebuchets in addition. I noticed that when I placed the attackers on the Lumber hill near Riga, in 1240s, these units didn't flip.

City spots close to Novgorod suck when it comes to :hammers:. The best spot for settling a good military city I think is 5 tiles to the east and 3 to the south from Novgorod. It has Deer, Pigs, Lumber and several hills. Production quite decent even before Plated Armour. The city gets named as Tver, but I'm not sure if it's historical. As I later realized, the city name map of Novgorod still needs quite a bit of work :)

Health and Stability are also serious issues. Not sure why they are so bad. Manor House in every city is mandatory and Courthouse pretty much too in order to avoid instability after Prussian spawn and before 1250. Unit costs also seem to be a bit too high. The Ushkuinik is some 120 :hammers: or so (on Viceroy). I could be wrong, but I remember I have seen a Pistolier of a different civ being cheaper!

Religion. Orthodoxy simply refuses to spread. Even when having open borders with all Orthodox civs and none of the Catholics. Had Catholicism got to me before the Orthodoxy ever did during a few failed attempts to win HV. Catholicism is of course a very bad idea for Novgorod. Either your units leave for Crusades and never return or you receive faith points penalty for refusing to participate. Eventually I got lucky to have the Byzantines spread the religion using Orthodox Missionaries.

16. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

Oh, it seems I was wrong about the Ushkuinik cost :blush: On Viceroy, it's 105 :hammers: acually. Also, I checked a savegame of Burgundy and their Maceman was 105 also. I guess it just feels so expensive.

17. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Byzantine missionaried peetty predictible, but having cathilicism even better. Do not care about fp, the pope will build a lots of valuable building in your cities!! Thus saving you a lot time,, that allow to build military instead. Howevet in my novgorod games the biggest threat still the keshiks...

18. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

Thanks. I have to read more about the effects of Faith Points it seems.

Ah, yes - the Keshiks too! Their onslaught occurred when I never expected it - in early 14th century - and thus, did not prepare for their coming.

19. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

The Pope only builds free buildings if you have some Catholic faith points
    All religions have benefits if you are Pious. Orthodoxy has stability boost for every couple faith points for example, I find that very useful for the early game.
    So I consider Orthodoxy not spreading in the NE well enough a problem, it's not intended this way.
    Already tried to improve the situation a couple times, will continue it with some different things.
    I don't find the Keshiks an issue from a gameplay point of view. Just fight them, shouldn't come in such huge numbers as for other East Europen civs.
    Also they represent the Mongol Yoke to some extent, even if somewhat more north than historically.

20. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I remember those ortodox spread boost, thats why pamplona, tanier, tunis some french cities and even in in england you can find orthodoxy in early games. however it almst never spread to north-east europe or scandinavia.

ps: faith points. I did several times, to refuse constantly the crusade thus having fp between 0-10 and the pope tend to build buildings anyway.

@rfcfanatic, regular way to build pagans early on and when the missionaries arrive, only then change to state religion and orthodoxy.