Now, about the Koreans.....

Eretz Yisrael

Korean Conscript
I am a South Korean and for all these years I found out that although has had a history spanning 4000 years, nobody knows our history.
Seriously, nobody does. I mean, some people dont know where Korea is,which leaves me in a state of frustration or a passion to become the ANGRY KOREA MAN:crazyeye:,but do people here know about Korea's history?
Wwhen I read threads in this forum, I find a lot of people who are educated in history, so I would except some people to know; if u guys dont have a clue, I might just as well play the ANGRY KOREA MAN on CIV4:sad:

You know what, pre 1940s, I dont know much except there was a Korean leader who invented and new and widely used alphabet in (I think) the 1600s. He was apparently very highly regarded by the people despite being fairly bloodthirsty. after that, I admit, I dont know a whole lot. how are you on Irish history?

I'm horrible with Korean history. Feel free to recommend a book or three.

The four thousand years part is questionable. I wouldn't consider Korea four thousand years old, any more than I would consider China six thousand years or old, or Japan however old it claims to be.

Of course, that's the problem when you have a confusion between pre-history (ie, a time where nothing was recorded), mytho-history (ie, history that was only written several hundreds if not thousands of years after the fact, for period of which we have no remaining historical record) and current history (history for which there exists contemporary records). You just can't put those threes on the same level, because the first group is not called history, and the second had become far too mixed with legends by the time it was recorded to be any real evidence with regard to specific dates of any sort.

For Korea, at least in my perspective, prehistory is anything prior to the founding of Gojoseon. Mytho-history is the founding of Gojoseon, and history is from the first contemporary documented evidence onward. As such, I'd give around 2700 years of history - still a very impressive sum, far better than Japan and not far behind what I give China (3300). Before that...we know too little to tell. There were people living on the Korean peninsula, yes, and they probably had political entities, but we have nothing that allow us to conclude anything much about those people.

So, korean threads are the new polish threads?

So, korean threads are the new polish threads?

Say what? This is the first Korean thread I've seen in a while.

I'm with North King, I would not mind having a book or two recommended so I may better learn Korean history :)

I'm with North King, I would not mind having a book or two recommended so I may better learn Korean history :)
I'd be happy with learning East Asian history in general, especially before 1600 or so.

I think I'll change my USER ID into the ANGRY KOREAN MAN or something....
Korea really needs to spread its culture and promote its history.....

Which were the new muslim threads

um......well the muslims at least have a sphere of influence(even if it is just nominal);Korea has no influence or a sphere of influence on anybody.
Poland had an interesting history;personally liked the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the pre-WWII period of their history when Pidulski(i cant remember how to spell his name correctly) sent the Soviet soldiers under Tukachevsky away( I recall that this war was called the Polish-Soviet War of1922)............
The oly influence Korea has on anybody is the electronics industry(Samsung, LG,etc) and the auto industry(Hyundai, KIA))

You know what, pre 1940s, I dont know much except there was a Korean leader who invented and new and widely used alphabet in (I think) the 1600s. He was apparently very highly regarded by the people despite being fairly bloodthirsty. after that, I admit, I dont know a whole lot. how are you on Irish history?

I only about the general stuff about Ireland;I did stud for a while about Ireland during WWI and WWII though

The four thousand years part is questionable. I wouldn't consider Korea four thousand years old, any more than I would consider China six thousand years or old, or Japan however old it claims to be.

Of course, that's the problem when you have a confusion between pre-history (ie, a time where nothing was recorded), mytho-history (ie, history that was only written several hundreds if not thousands of years after the fact, for period of which we have no remaining historical record) and current history (history for which there exists contemporary records). You just can't put those threes on the same level, because the first group is not called history, and the second had become far too mixed with legends by the time it was recorded to be any real evidence with regard to specific dates of any sort.

For Korea, at least in my perspective, prehistory is anything prior to the founding of Gojoseon. Mytho-history is the founding of Gojoseon, and history is from the first contemporary documented evidence onward. As such, I'd give around 2700 years of history - still a very impressive sum, far better than Japan and not far behind what I give China (3300). Before that...we know too little to tell. There were people living on the Korean peninsula, yes, and they probably had political entities, but we have nothing that allow us to conclude anything much about those people.

YOu know how Eat Asian scholars are when they try to give a date to their countries history. They try to make it as grand and long as possible:lol:

I recall that Korea has endured many attempts of invasion by China, and that the Koreans have their own version of thermopylae becuase of it.

it has also had many invasion attempts by Japan.

and the mongols invaded it.

it has had an confucian dynasty, and korea was annexed by Japan early 20'th century.

that's about it.

Ok, how bout this:
Does anybody know General Ulchi Mundok?

I am a South Korean and for all these years I found out that although has had a history spanning 4000 years, nobody knows our history.
Seriously, nobody does. I mean, some people dont know where Korea is,which leaves me in a state of frustration or a passion to become the ANGRY KOREA MAN:crazyeye:,but do people here know about Korea's history?
Wwhen I read threads in this forum, I find a lot of people who are educated in history, so I would except some people to know; if u guys dont have a clue, I might just as well play the ANGRY KOREA MAN on CIV4:sad:

I did a report on Korean history :p

And Korea is only like 3000-2000 years old.

Also there is a good movie about the KOrean War called Taeguk: The Brotherhood of War

I recall that Korea has endured many attempts of invasion by China, and that the Koreans have their own version of thermopylae becuase of it.

it has also had many invasion attempts by Japan.

and the mongols invaded it.

it has had an confucian dynasty, and korea was annexed by Japan early 20'th century.

that's about it.
.................... = =;

anybody know the DETAILS?

also you completely forgot about the mythical Gojoseon and our supposed origins (South Korean insist that original Koreans were a branch of a Mogol tribe who settled in the Korean peninsula.......(although I doubt that Mongols would ever settle down. they still ride around Mongolia on horseback which proves tobe very frustrating for Mongolian officials cuz they wont be ab to make a accurate count of the population)

Top Bottom