1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Now What? - Khanland

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by duende29, Dec 21, 2007.

1. duende29

duende29 Loud Brat

This is a recent game I'm playing that I decided to bring up here. I usually don't go total war this early, I wait until Trebs and Maces, but the Keshiks demanded a different kind of strategy. Anyway, I thought this would be a good learning exercise for everyone. I'll decide the course of action after others' posts and bring updates with pics and saves. You can play as many shadow games as you want. Let's go!

The Background:

You play as Kublai Khan on a Standard, Temperate Continents map, Emperor, Marathon speed. You start with good capital site, which turns out better once you discover Horses right next to it. You place your next city close, in a good production site and towards the nearest rival, De Gaulle. Someone appears from the north, it's Alexander! You decide De Gaulle has to go, there's not enough room for both and and you start on the warpath: Researching HBR and start building the Gers while Archery finishes up. De Gaulle has apparently popped Writing from a hut, because he comes up with an Open Borders agreement at turn 17. You use this for your advantage, scouting him and realizing there's nothing to stop you. No metals.

As you are building the horde, Alex decides now it's a good time to attack: He DoW and brings a tiny stack which is quickly dispatched, then another and finally negotiates 10 turns of peace. His borders haven't even appeared on the map. Dumbass.

To wrap things up: you quickly dispatch De Gaulle (he has only chariots and archers) and keep Paris for yourself. Then you decide Alex has to go: No way you're gonna take up crap from him, specially after declaring war twice. So after razing and pillaging and killing and razing again, Alex goes down. You decide 4 workers on top of your 6 is too much, so you disband them and head home, replacing unexperienced defenders with your horde units: There's no more fighting to be had. 2 GGs appeared and were settled on Beshbalik, a good production center.

The Situation:

It's 220 AD and you got 4 cities now when Alex goes down. Those 4 cities sport Granaries, Libraries and Barracks (and Gers), Karakorum has a Lighthouse. No Wonders at all. You have a whole continent for yourself:

The rest lies in ruins. The competition seem to be VERY BUSY BEES. No, your continent has none of those, you didn't give De Gaulle a chance. All the early religions are gone up to Confucianism (founded in 180 AD).

The Tech Tree: You got Calendar and Currency, you're researching CoL. You completely skipped the Religion tree, as they were all gone early (at the other continent) and you had fighting to do. Hopefully religious wars delay them while you build up.

The Civics: Slavery.

You're relocating the Palace in your 3rd city, in the middle of the twin rivers. The seafood on the current capital has been pillaged by a Barb Galley. You've just whipped yours to defend them and then you'll build Work Boats next.

The Task:

Basically, you got into forced isolation, with no tech trade because of the lack of Alphabet at the time conquest. Overall backwardness after the rush, but you rid yourself of your rivals. Now you're tasked to rebuild from the ashes. This will not be an easy task: Kublai Khan has no economy traits to help him build cities quickly and maintain a good rate of research. Barbarians are also going to be an issue now that 60% of the land is fog, however you sport several experienced units and the Creative trait to extend your borders.

My Suggestions:

Cottage spam the whole river areas and hope Cottage growth solves your money issues. Beeline Optics and find your rivals, then trade if you can. Once you see how the tech situation is over there, decide if you should pursue Liberalism, otherwise you should try for Democracy ASAP to make the cottages grow faster, then Workshop techs to develop the jungle grasslands on the middle. If it's possible to colonize the entire continent, pursue a Domination victory in the Industrial or Modern eras: You have exclusivity on a lot of land, you won't need much to conquest for a win.

Info:

Save is BTS ver 313 with Bhruic patch. If you play a shadow game, post in spoiler tags. Have fun.

Attached Files:

2. mutax2003

mutax2003 Rider of China, 4-3-3

Kublai is creative, so build plenty of half priced libraries in your commerce cities. Also, you can whip out courthouses when code of law comes online.

3. Sjaramei

Sjaramei Prince

You disbanded 4 workers??! Thats insane when you can keep them you know :p

4. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

IMHO you should had kept more cities and runned a SE ( with half priced libs it would be easy to run atleast 1 scientist per city )......

But what is done is done... You'll need a lot of workers, a heavy load of settlers and some fogbusting.

5. duende29

duende29 Loud Brat

Capital is running 2 scientists, and maybe 1 in Paris, but Karakorum was pumping out Keshiks until recently. The other french cities were either size 2 or in jungle sites (but I guess I could have kept one more), and the Greek cities were up north past the jungle belt. Still I was running on deficit (-20) and kinda freaked out so I deleted the workers (the current cities all have developed land, so heck). I'll update once I get this puter set up.

6. PimpyMicPimp

PimpyMicPimp Regrets His Username.

I don't understand the worker disband. Why? As I understand it, you don't pay for workers, only military units.

Anyways, I agree with your suggestion. I'd cottage spam and run some scientests and head towards Optics lickity-split. I've been in this situation before, but only on Noble (I'm just moving to Prince now), and that was the basic approach I took. Expand at a sustainable pace while building up your economy.

Also, is it possible to meet the other civs without having to go through the Ocean via island chains?

7. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

Large coastal cities + trade routes.