1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Now what?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by metamike, May 27, 2007.

1. metamike

metamike Chieftain

My stupidity caused this:

As you can see, I'm Persia, and this is Deity.

Meaning vs. Egyptian Chariots, I literally don't stand a chance.

I was finally beginning to get ready to build Immortals and start fighting, when this happened.

I created a town on 1 of the two squares connecting my tiny island and the continent, and Egypt created another one connecting them.

Egypt then sent in a Settler/Warrior, but while walking around it realized there was no land to settle on my island.

Then it walked back, but realized I was blocking the southern way out of the island.

The retard AI then gets a glitch or something, and the Settler/Warrior has been standing there for the past 10 turns.

Soooo. That means I have no way of getting in or out of my island. That means if I try to fight a war with Egypt, the towns outside my island will be annihilated :(

Now what?

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Build an army, destroy the warrior, take their city which is blocked the northern part, then keep them under control until they are ready to offer peace.

3. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

This is good news. The AI is trapped on your land and thus can tricked into declaring war, giving you much-needed war happiness. Every town over size three will get an additional happy. Curiously, size 3 towns will be harder to control than size 4 ones so grow them up.

As for the towns on the other side, there are a couple of options.

Ferrying a few units out from Susa to wipe out the War Chariots seems like the best choice to me. At the same time, a second force would kill the settler and take the blocking Egyptian city. Both groups would join up in Antioch.

Alternately, you could gift the the towns away and then re-take them later. Give them to Cleo! Losing three towns in quick succession will hurt her in WW and set you up for bigger concessions in the peace treaty.

4. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

Well, he can't get units from Susa.

I would just wait. That pair can get out, by taking the northern route. Not exactly sure what they are waiting for, actually. You could try asking them to leave. I wouldn't demand they get out, cause Egypt will just declare.

5. AutomatedTeller

I would stop building spears and build some Immortals, instead. Immortals are much better for not a lot more - enough immortals, and Cleo might even back away from a confrontation.

6. Abegweit

With galleys, why not?

7. AutomatedTeller

he doesn't have galleys yet? At least, that's my assumption.

8. drakdan

drakdan Chieftain

Try this and later tell us how it works out.

9. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

Wicked!

Would it be possible to trade Sardis and Antioch (spices & gold, yum!) for Avaris, then retake them?

10. MAS

MAS Chieftain

you can't trade cities! Only gift them!

11. Norton II

Norton II Chieftain

I thought you could trade them in Vanilla.

12. Abegweit

Was possible with the initial release but not in 1.29f. Not sure when exactly it became illegal.

13. PaperBeetle

PaperBeetle Chieftain

This all looks a bit backwards for 670bc, even taking account of this squeeze of a starting location; researching Wheel, no Mapping?
    If the Egyptian settler doesn't want to move because it knows there are no remaining spaces to build a town, you could make such a space by disbanding one of your smaller towns into a settler. It can be refounded as soon as the Egyptian has moved once and you have occupied the chokepoint with your own unit.
    Sardis seems like a fair candidate to be taken down, or even better is Tyre, because then the Egyptian settler continues to tresspass, and can be eaten at your leisure.