Noyyau's Next Story pre-thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by Noyyau, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

I've been thinking this weekend about what my next story might be. Some people suggested it be an IAAR, on RoM-AND. Why not? "Reader partecipation" seems to be quite popular... :mischief:

My general idea so far is that you, the readers, get to control specific units, cities or even provinces depending on the current state of the civilization, active civics, events... and your own preference obviously.

I definitely won't be doing reports every turn, rather I'll play a certain amount of turns (probably around 50 in the Ancient era and fewer as things go on), and eventually stop if something really important happens.

I'm thinking that units controlled by a player should get a free "Lead by Warlord" promotion, but no free experience. You can give general orders like "explore to the north" or "when injured, stop on a defensive tile until healed" or more detailed like "move 1N,1NW, heal until 75% health then attack if odds > 80%".
    Bonus Internet points if you give them in character (i.e. roleplay a bit).

So, Question 1: When should the interactive part begin?
    1. From the very beginning of Turn 0
    2. From a later era (classical, medieval...)
    3. When reaching a certain number of cities

Question 2: Should this be an OCC?
    1. Yes: players can only control units, and this will be heavily weighted towards warfare (maybe even Always War)
    2. No: later on players can get to decide what to do with their own city or even region

And Question 3: What mapscript to use?
    1. Totestra: wonderful maps based on real world climate models, often with a "New World" empty continent to be explored later on.
    2. Highlands: an all-land map which will make barbarians be a real problem, and keep down the size of the world.
    3. Hub or Wheel: each civilization will have its own starting area with balanced resources, connected by land bridges, and a "neutral" central area

Depending on the choices, I might tinker with the map in WB or not (especially if OCC).
    Other house rules might be along the lines of "No "Free X Building" in every city" type wonders, or "No upgrading of mechanical units (i.e. siege, ships, tanks...)". Or no upgrading at all, unless the unit has "Lead by Warlord".

2. CaterpillarKing

CaterpillarKing Conqueror of Cacoons

I say OCC because there aren't enough of those. Interactivity should start at Classical era because the beginning will be boring. Totestra because the others sound, eh.

3. adhiraj.bose

adhiraj.bose Deity

I'd agree with Ck on this. It'd also be fun if you try a historical based story with a country/civ you're familiar with.

4. CaterpillarKing

I don't know, there aren't enough stories that make their own history. I think that Noyyau should make his own history, like he did before :D

5. adhiraj.bose

adhiraj.bose Deity

Well yeah, but to start off with history and play with real world characters. Basically like what you're doing in Mexico and what I'm doing in Tryst and what RT did with his story :) .

6. CaterpillarKing

I don't know, I prefer people to be made up in Noyyau's stories. Too many stories use real people.

7. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

There's a reason I didn't ask about civ/leader preferences ;)
    All will be revealed in due time!

8. GreekAnalyzer

GreekAnalyzer Back from the Dead

Classical, No, Tosetra

9. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

I agree with CK and Greek. Also which options you'll be using? Last time I downloaded RoM-AND revolutions were broken, did they fix that already? With the warlike nature of the features this mod implements, I think you can give control of generals to people, but I would be against gifting Warlord Promotions to units just because people want to use them. Well, do it as you like, I'm just the type os the less cheating possible is better :D

10. Manuss

Manuss Sleeping man

I agree with CK, Greek, and Spirictum. But I'd like not to have a Great General as an avatar in game. I'd like to start from the lowest part of the society: I'd like to start from a worker, which will progress in his life having successes and failures. It will be also better for me to develop my charachter while the story goes on. :D

11. Moai_Spammer

Moai_Spammer Nihilandros

do a story as tibet in doc

12. TheNoob

TheNoob Dank Memes

Classical, No, Totestra

13. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

Seems like interactivity start at the Classical era and the Totestra mapscript are the definitive winners!

OCC or not is something I am not sure about, anyway I have made some progress in the secret stuff I am doing behind the scenes.

I'm also waiting for a couple of important updates to RoM-AND, after that it won't take long to begin.

14. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

It's not long before I will start this thing (even though I should be doing more serious stuff in the real world).

My main problem now is inventing a proper title for it.

15. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

What info can you already tell us? I'm curious! :D

16. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

As soon as I find a proper title for the whole story, I will post the settings and stuff.