Nubia Deity Pangea Domination Thread

MIS

Prince
Wondering what peoples strategies are?

This was a digression in a city placement thread, so I thought it deserved it's own.

I went Monument----->Builder-------->Agoge---------->Slinger/UU Rush.

My thought was:

1. Slinger>Scout with Nubia's bonus
2. Why not wait until Agoge
3. Let's get Agoge ASAP.

For the pantheon, I got "God of the Forge".

Interested in some Nubia specific strategies.

Thanks,
MIS

This will do (provided you are not rushed by the AI at turn 10 or so)
Of course, builder first if you have another source of culture (CS or lux or NW) and forget the monument.

If doing horse rush you might want to sneak in a settler before Agoge (since most likely you need to settle to get the 2nd horse tile)... but Nubia's UU is such that in my experience playing them just now you don't really need the horses. So no early settler for me (just steal some later... neighbors will have at least a few)... unless the land is way too good to pass up (torres del paine, piopiotahi, etc.)
God of the forge actually sucks IMO. I suggest any culture pantheon matching your own terrain (or the terrain of your neighbor, such that once you've taken his cities, they'll provide culture). Unless you've met a religious CS, by the time you get the pantheon the hammers won't make any decisive difference (worse if you've sacrificed the +1 hammer policy for god-king... as the super-early cogs are worth much more than the midgame ones)

Other than that, build no districts and just pump out units none stop.

I went slinger, slinger, slinger, slinger in my game but it actually wasn't a good build order. The gold upgrade to Nubia's archers cost 60, so I had a couple unupgraded slingers hanging around for a while. Slinger, slinger, builder is probably best.

Anyway, Nubia's archers are absolutely insane. I'm on track to crush my fastest dom victory, even with the hiccup of accidentally friending a civ I was trying to take over early. Took over 2 civs easily with archers, took over 2 more civs easily with crossbowmen several of which were level 4, then started beelining to field cannons and at the moment am only a few turns away. If I was actually playing Pangaea and not continents, I'm pretty sure the game would be over just from a wave of level 4-5 crossbowmen.

The culture pantheons are great, but I will not stand idly by while the virtue of God of the Forge is besmirched. Taking it can allows flexibility in your early military policies, as you can forgo many turns of Agoge in favor of Survey, Discipline, or Conscription once you complete State Workforce. You will also still get a production bonus on those units after Agoge is obsoleted by Feudalism.

On Diety I just went Scout - Slinger - Slinger - Grainery - Slinger. Upgraded the Slingers to UU and capped 4 cities within the first 60 turns. UU is broken as hell. Pantheon I got through pillaging an Arabian Holy Site and it was increased fertility (God of Forge was taken), I used +damage to barbs never touched agoge. Don't really need it if you upgrade from slingers. The key is making sure you have 180 gold. Snowballs from there.

Specifically with Nubia I don't see a point at all in rushing a monument to get Agoge, she just doesn't need it. You're going to get archers out faster than anyone else even without it. Turn that monument into an extra unit. Even a builder would be better.

Why monument and builder first? Pretty much every game I play now is just slinger>slinger>slinger>slinger>whatever.

Well the starting dirt is not bad...
Spoiler :
But as the game goes on (~t60 now) the lack of iron is starting to annoy me. (and it took me FOREVER to finally find a 2nd horse tile so I've had to take cities with my unupgraded starting warrior... and I'm not even going to try a knight rush by prebuilding chariots because no iron as far as the eye can see...)
Nonetheless the doubleshot UU is still going strong for the moment. Got "Dow'd" by Japan at t10 or so (he had troops in my borders but I Dow'd him first when his intentions were obvious! The +50% bonus is almost as strong as Australia's since you can pump emergency slingers for 3-4 turns apiece so despite going for a worker opening I emergency-switched to slinger halfway in when his troops started moving and still got the slingers out in good time. Defending was easy with that)

Well.. that wasn't pretty.
Spoiler :
No iron at all until you reach either Spain or Poland.
Not a single tile of iron within 20 or so tiles of your capital....
Which meant the customary knight rush had to be horsemen rush.
Must've suicided 8 horsemen (out of 20 or so) into Madrid to take it in a timely manner.
Made a mistake by sending the bulk of my double shot archers to the east VS Norway and Poland, whereas the bigger threats were to the west (Russia and England).
Certainly did not help that I could not get any GG at all until the Industrial era.

Then after taking Spain... ran into Cossacks and 90+ strength cities... then defender of the faith redcoats.
Usually I can win deity domination using mainly knights... but here I had to reach field cannons, bombards and cavalry. And even then it was a slow grind thanks to Russia and England being far, far away. t154 super late win.

Attachments

• AMANITORE 154 860 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
Well.. that wasn't pretty.
Spoiler :
No iron at all until you reach either Spain or Poland.
Not a single tile of iron within 20 or so tiles of your capital....
Which meant the customary knight rush had to be horsemen rush.
Must've suicided 8 horsemen (out of 20 or so) into Madrid to take it in a timely manner.
Made a mistake by sending the bulk of my double shot archers to the east VS Norway and Poland, whereas the bigger threats were to the west (Russia and England).
Certainly did not help that I could not get any GG at all until the Industrial era.

Then after taking Spain... ran into Cossacks and 90+ strength cities... then defender of the faith redcoats.
Usually I can win deity domination using mainly knights... but here I had to reach field cannons, bombards and cavalry. And even then it was a slow grind thanks to Russia and England being far, far away. t154 super late win.

Gives me something to aim at, thanks.

Top Bottom