1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nuclear aircraft

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Thorvald of Lym, May 15, 2018.

1. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

As the official Conquests WWII scenario demonstrates, you can make a nuke an air unit with air bombard and it'll still work as a proper nuke. But does anyone know if a nuclear aircraft (with a proper DEF value) can be intercepted on attack, or does the nuke flag override normal air combat?

2. Kirejara

Kirejara King

I had added a Atomic Bomber based on the WWII scenarios Nuclear Bomb and Heavy Bomber as pre-rocketry nuclear weapon.

On my test map it was never intercepted in a lot of test runs. So I assume, that the nuke flag overrides air combat. And that is a pity and wasted opportunity. :(

Because of that I have disabled it by now.

3. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

CCM and CCM2 hold a lot of nuclear bombers. I have never seen an interception nor was one reported by other players. This said, in my eyes to have nuclear bombers in the game, makes a lot of sense for the period, when no intercontinental missiles were available - but nuclear long-range bombers.

4. Lionic

Lionic King

What about AA/SAM's?

5. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Did not managed to down a single Atomic Bomber either. :(

EDIT: Added editor screenshot.

As you can see it has been added as additional bomber, but with the nuklear weapon flag in "unit abilities".

The transport ability is in order to prevent it being crammed into an aircraft carrier. But since it would be plain stupid to load units into a nuclear bomb, it is also flagged in "unit ability" to transport only foot units, tactical missiles AND Aircraft, so nothing can be loaded into it (otherwise the KI would surely load some expensive unit and then send it on its mission... :shifty:).

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  6. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

In my tests (setting interception probability to 100%, setting the nuclear bombers to either 0 or 1 defense to test both situations, stacking anti-air units with 1000 AA defense, and city air defense improvements), no nuclear bomber style units get shot down.

It appears the nuclear weapon ability overrides it as an aircraft unit.