Nuclear Weapons Need Some Work

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by jdurg, Dec 30, 2005.

1. jdurg

jdurg Warlord

The way nuclear weapons are currently handled in the game are just poor. As soon as the Manhattan Project is completed, the most advanced nuclear weapons are suddenly able to be produced (ICBMs). I think the addition of a few new units and the altering of the requirements should be in order. These are the units that should be introduced:

1): Nuclear Bomb; Has no movement points. Must be loaded onto a bomber. Requires Flight and Fission. Reduces population in target city by 25%. Damages 25% of the improvements built in the city. Wipes out 50% of the units stored in the city. Bomb Shelter reduces that percentage to 25%. If bomber carrying nuke gets destroyed/intercepted, nuclear bomb is lost.

2): Nuclear Missile; Can be loaded onto submarines, fighter planes, and missile silos. Has limited range (10 squares?). Requires Flight, Fission, and Rocketry. Reduces population in target city by 50%. Damages 50% of the improvements build in the city. Wipes out 75% of the units stored in the city. Bomb Shelter reduces this number to 50%. Missiles can be intercepted by SAM Infantry or fighter planes.

3): ICBM; Requires fission, flight, rocketry, and satellites. Unlimited range. Reduces population in target city to 1. Damges 75% of all improvements in city. Wipes out all units in the city. Bomb shelter will reduce this value to 75%. Can only be intercepted by SDI Defense.

A new improvement will also be needed.

1): Missile Silo; Used to house nuclear missiles. Can be built by a worker, or work boat, on any terrain except mountain peaks. Allows the loading of nuclear missiles. Can also be built on any ground in any country in which you have open borders provided that it meets the following criteria; Is not within the workable city limits of an ally's city; Is not built on top of an existing improvement aside from roads; The ally has given you permission to build the silos (This will require an addition to the diplomacy).

I think these adjustments would be a great way to simulate the advancement of nuclear weapons in this game. The bombs that were first created were pretty low in quality but did the job. When the Cuban Missile Crisis came around, the nuclear weapons had advance quite a bit. Right now, the nuclear weapons available are frighteningly powerful. It would be nice to see this progression emulated in the game. In addition, the use of missile silos would really help create some tension in the game. Imagine building a set of silos in your ally's country on the border with one of your enemies. It would be like the Cuban Missile Crisis played out in Civ4. The additional diplomacy involved in getting permission to set up the silos, the diplomacy needed to have your neighbor disallow the silos, etc. etc. Some great late game strategy would really be added to the game.

2. Heero Blaze

Heero Blaze Chieftain

Agreed. Civilization 4 doesn't even include Tactical Nukes that existed in Civ 3, which still leaves out The Bomb. I think it would be more interesting to see various nuclear weapons. There are there that weren't mentioned though. I don't remember the name of the it, but the most recent nuclear weapon could fire multiple nuclear warheads from a single missile. There is also the "briefcase" bomb that I'm not sure really exists, but I think it would be interesting to have a Spy to have the ability to plant a nuclear weapon in an enemy city (like in Civilization: Call to Power II). Also, the low tech "dirty bomb" which would take the least amount of time to make and be used by the Spy as well or maybe another unit, though it might only be used in last ditch efforts to save yourselves from being conquered.

3. Half Fast

Half Fast fat slob in a bar

I like these ideas for nukes, and I really want nuke subs back.
    Heero Blaze I think the nuke missiles your talking about are balistic missiles launched by submarines. Names you might have heard may be Trident and Posioden. If I remember right the Posioden missiles replaced the Tridents. I've read of one type that carries 14 nuclear warheads, and I've even heard of one that carries 40 but im not so sure on that. The biggest nuke subs have 24 launchers, and I think some subs carry more missiles to reload the launchers. Thats an awful lot of warheads in one nuke sub, and I have to imagine that one ship could destroy the world. Nuke subs carrying a few tactical nukes would make naval warfare more important but Id rather we didn't get too realistic with nukes.

4. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Chieftain

also ICBM must destroy roads.

5. JadeDragon87

JadeDragon87 Chieftain

I totally agree with you. I loved the tactical nuke ( and the cruise missile of course ).

6. porkdiesel

porkdiesel Chieftain

It would be cool to have the first, weakest nuke available be dropped by an early bomber. That way there is a chance of interception if they have fighters.

The next step could be a less damaging missile with a limited firing range.

Then finally the big kahuna ICBMs .

Also I want to see the AI nuke more often. They should have an Insane personality where they just go nuke everyone like crazy!!!! ok maybe i'm getting carried away :p

7. Ktulu

Ktulu Warlord

I like these ideas, but I would like to add that I think the builder of the Manhattan Project should get some kind (25%?) of bonus when building nuclear weapons. It would give much more incentive to be the one to build it.

8. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

The manhattan project would work well as a national wonder rather than a world wonder, perhaps instead of granting all civs the ability to produce nuclear weapons completing it would grant all civs the ability to build their own "Manhattan" projects.

The missile name he was looking for was MIRV (Multiple Independant Re-entry Vehicle), basically an ICBM with several small warheads that could be independantly targeted so you only had to launch one rocket to hit several targets.

The bomber is definately a good idea, and having a short-range cruise missile style nuke would be nice too (one would suffice as long as it could be launched from cities and submarines).

9. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

Also: to have and use nukes should have diplomatic effects.

Relations:

-2 for having nuclear weapons after Manhattan Project
    +2 for not having nukes after M.P
    -1 for each nuke used