Nuclear Weapons Test

Sparrow3

Prince
Below are the results of several tests regarding the impact of ICBM & Tactical Nukes on various targets.

Nuclear Test Rpt 1: ICBM

Ground Zero: Tundra tile north of the single peak
Target: Four Barbarian units on surrounding tiles

Results:
1)Two Barbarians on tundra tiles destroyed
2)Barbarian encampment on the single peak destroyed
3)Damage to the two Barbarians on mountain tiles
4)Pollution on all nine tiles in the area

Conclusion: Destruction from Nuclear weapon is confined to ground zero Tile and eight surrounding Tiles. Anything outside this radius will not be hurt. This suggests that one defence is to widely disperse your combat units.

Note: Two turns later both damaged Barbarian units had moved and there were four healthy Barbarian units. I conclude that they healed.

Nuclear Test Rpt 2: Tactical Nuke

Ground Zero: Water Tile with Battleship in center line of ships
Attack unit: Nuclear submatine two Tiles south east of G.Z.

Target:
1)Battleship & Carrier with full compliment of planes - at Ground Zero
2)Destroyer - one tile northeast of G.Z.
3)Battleship - one Tile west southwest of G.Z.
4)Transport with 4 infantry & 2 tank units on board - north west of G.Z.
5)Battleship - two Tiles north northwest of G.Z.

Results:
1)Battleship & all planes at Ground Zero - Destroyed
2)Destroyer - one tile northeast of G.Z. - Destroyed
3)Battleship - one Tile west southwest of G.Z. - Destroyed
4)Transport,infantry, & tank units - north west of G.Z. - Destroyed
5)Carrier at Ground Zero - Damaged
6)Destroyer - one tile northeast of G.Z. - Damaged
7)Battleship - two Tiles north northwest of G.Z. - No Dammage
8)No Pollution - Civ3 doesn't allow polluting the ocean

Note: Carrier though damaged failed to sink. If planes were available to rebase; it would be combat operational next turn. I do not feel that this test is definitive; however, with multiple units on Tile which ones are destroyed may be random. In fact, it may all be random.

Reputation: Everyone still polite toward me. I guess they don't care if I test nuclear weapons in uninhabited areas.

Nuclear Test Rpt 3: Tactical Nuke

Ground Zero: City of Madrid
Attack unit: Nuclear Submarine two Tiles north of Seville

Target: City of Madrid & any units inside

Results:
1)City of madrid Damaged
2)Infantry unit showing damaged
3)Pollution on five of eight surrounding Tiles

Initially: Spannish are annoyed; then furious, I declared war on them. Both Mongols & Egypt are polite
Afterwards: Egypt & Mongols declared war even before the nuke hit. Everyone is furious. So I would say my Rep is pretty well trashed.

My apologies to anyone offended by the use of their Civilization as a subject in these tests

Nuclear Test Rpt 4: Tactical + ICBM

Ground Zero: Most Cities
Attack unit: Nuclear Submarines & ICBM's

Target: Most cities - General Nuclear exchange

Results:
1)Terrain improvments: roads, mines, & irragation within one Tile of city totally destroyed.
2)City improvements: some destroyed
3)Some stacked units in city or within one Tile survive with varying degrees of damage
4)Cities apparently are never destroyed

seems a bit weak

I superb testing. looks like it was a success. I enjoy doing that also. I once tested my first nukes near, but not on, the Korean's land. Then I sent a humvee in to see what damage was done. As soon as a korean unit spotted me in the area, they declared war on me. I didn't even hit any of there units. I think they really were mad about the land near them being contaminated.

I once sent a fleet of Privateers out to the middle of the ocean only to have them pursued by the fleets of other civs. Once the other ships got within the blast range, I hit the privateers with an ICBM. Destroyed all of them and even took out a few enemy ships. No war was declared on me either, possibly since I didn't hit their units directly, or maybe it was just a glitch. Next time I tried the same the other civs retalliated.

Originally posted by Vietcong
seems a bit weak
Tell me how it is weak.

Originally posted by Ben E Gas
I superb testing. looks like it was a success. I enjoy doing that also. I once tested my first nukes near, but not on, the Korean's land. Then I sent a humvee in to see what damage was done. As soon as a korean unit spotted me in the area, they declared war on me. I didn't even hit any of there units. I think they really were mad about the land near them being contaminated.
Thanks; You may have found a unique way of getting the AI to declare war.

Originally posted by redstoner
I once sent a fleet of Privateers out to the middle of the ocean only to have them pursued by the fleets of other civs. Once the other ships got within the blast range, I hit the privateers with an ICBM. Destroyed all of them and even took out a few enemy ships. No war was declared on me either, possibly since I didn't hit their units directly, or maybe it was just a glitch. Next time I tried the same the other civs retalliated.
I wish I had thought of that.

Originally posted by Ben E Gas

They don't care about pollution inside their borders, why would they care about it outside? What was their attitude with you?

Originally posted by redstoner

Were only enemy privateers in the blast radius?

No, there were a couple frigates and an ironclad from different civs. I built the privateers. Never been able to duplicate it without war being declared on me.

Originally posted by Sparrow3
Nuclear Test Rpt 2: Tactical Nuke

Results:
1)Battleship & all planes at Ground Zero - Destroyed
2)Destroyer - one tile northeast of G.Z. - Destroyed
3)Battleship - one Tile west southwest of G.Z. - Destroyed
4)Transport,infantry, & tank units - north west of G.Z. - Destroyed
5)Carrier at Ground Zero - Damaged
6)Destroyer - one tile northeast of G.Z. - Damaged
7)Battleship - two Tiles north northwest of G.Z. - No Dammage
8)No Pollution - Civ3 doesn't allow polluting the ocean

Note: Carrier though damaged failed to sink.

Does anyone else find this odd? Why would the carrier at ground zero survive, while other ships further away sink? IRL it would likely not be this way, especially as the nearby battleship was destroyed.

Very nice testing, but why Madrid. WHY????????????????

Personally, I've never used nukes in a real game.

I've only used them to see how they look, but I always re-start to before the test. :)

Originally posted by Mr Black
Very nice testing, but why Madrid. WHY????????????????

Personally, I've never used nukes in a real game.
Because it was a capitol and Because the submarine above/right of the Battleship was in range. I did not feel like moving it to find a different target.
I've never used nuke in a real game either. This was a specially modified scenario for testing only.

Originally posted by Quasar1011
Does anyone else find this odd? Why would the carrier at ground zero survive, while other ships further away sink? IRL it would likely not be this way, especially as the nearby battleship was destroyed.
I'll admit the results surprised me. I had expected total destruction at ground zero. The carrier's abiltiy to survive; however, may be random chance. The Battleship at the same Tile was destroyed. The Carrier probably would not be vaporized by the blast unless it went off directly above the ship. So, if the Carrier were not capsized by the blast pressure or swamped by the tidal wave; it might survive. As for the other ships near by the tidal wave would be a lot stronger when it reached them. That's the only explanation I can think of.

What do you think?

Check out this site:
http://marshall.csu.edu.au/html/WWII_Pix/Bikini_Tests.html

I wish there was a way to change the other civ's attitude after the usage of nukes. I used nukes once when I had france come after one of my weak cities with a huge arny of modern armors, sent down two nukes and few cruise missiles and killed em all. But within few next turns everyone else declared war on me and yeah I lost the game :cry: nvr used nukes after tht.

Top Bottom