1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nuclear Weapons

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by dominatr, Feb 26, 2011.

1. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

I am getting to the modern age in my game and i need someone to fill me in on how to use nuclear missiles in the modern age, and how i should go about it.

I've never really gotten around to learning how to use them, and i think it would be good to at least know how others go about it.

2. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

ICBM's are sort of like a bomber with no limit to their range. You use the bombardment icon and select the target. It does a little cut scene and the bomb hits the target. I would not mess with tactical nukes.

It will wreck all 9 tiles in the radius of ground zero. They will be polluted and all roads and mines and such will be removed. Units on those tiles will lose half their hit points. For units with low defense and low HP it means death.

The rest will be wounded to one degree or another. Three hits will kill all units, unless they are special ones in town like an icbm. They are not damaged.

If the target civ has SDI the missile may be shotdown. In fact it will almost surely be shotdown. Maybe 1 in 7 get past SDI. You can target water tiles.

I rarely use them, but I like to use them on UR or AL tiles. Especially, if they have their workers on site. Their largest cities and those with the most units in or near or any large SoD around.

Hit with 3 nukes for towns and units. UR/AL I just need one to cut the roads.

3. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

is there a limit to the amount of IBCMs one can have?

4. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

No, they also cannot be moved.

5. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Sure, they can be moved. Once. :mischief:

By the way, GR, nice avatar of Ferret Face.

6. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

Thanks! :)

7. Fiddlin Nero

Fiddlin Nero Chieftain

Think about searching for the location of the AI's SDI. If you can get to it in a reasonable amount of time and take it out you can really lay waste to them. Otherwise building 6-9 for every one hit gets pretty rediculous.

Of course if you can get your nukes in before the AI gets SDI, it's the same thing.

In Vanilla/PTW you can't move the ICBM at all and the Tactical Nukes are a pain to move by Sub. So it depends on your map which to build.

I went through a lot of nuke wars, some AI civs won't use theirs until you use yours, between that and the ugly clean up and Worker roading to do I don't use them anymore. Although I am tempted in my current game, sure would save a lot of artillery shots at this SOD of over 200 Mechs.

8. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

You cannot move icbm's in C3C either, he was just be facetious.

9. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Yes, I was. You can "move" ICBM's once, but that move results in a big ol' boom.

10. Stratagist IV

Stratagist IV Ex virtute honos

For a truly effective use of nuclear weapons, I find spies essential. The turn that you launch your nukes, steal their plans and find out where their major unit stacks are. If you're in the middle of an inter-continental war, try to find loaded transport ships since oceans can't be polluted. Granted, if you're going for a straight conquest victory you can disregard polluted land completely and just raze everything but that is rarely practical.

I generally order nuke targets as following:
    1) Strategic Resources. With the 3x3 burst radius of nukes, its fairly easy on up to large sized maps to take out the enemy's key resources with a minimal number of nukes. After this, your foes will have only a limited number of higher tech units. After the initial engagements, you're likely to be fighting riflemen and guerrilla battalions. Its worth noting that the AI also places a higher priority on cleaning the ensuing pollution so they'll be crippled for years. The only downside to this is that

2) Naval Convoys (maps in which navies play a large part only): If you have stolen plans and see a large number of transports headed your way, consider making this your first target. If not, blast the enemy naval stacks into oblivion. If they're in a key productive port city, all the better. While nuking a city is painful to diplomacy and points gained (civilians give points), you gain the benefit of taking out an industrial center, a navy, and defensive units in one stroke.

3) Large land stacks: If the enemy has large stacks of land units on the map, take those out next. If they are in a city (which unfortunately they almost always are), consider planting your nuke on the square next to the city instead of on the city proper. This will still have a detrimental effect on the units and can leave a trade route into the city.... normally this would be a bad thing, but you've hit their strategic resources already right? :crazyeye:

4) Luxury resources: By this time in the game the staple of every nation is its large industrialized cities, filled with cramped civilians just trying to make it through the maddening process of life. These citizens would delight to throw off the chains of their ever-oppressive government, especially one that got them into a war that took away such things as fine wines and furs. But seriously, in large cities that can't support themselves without happiness bonuses, cut off all outside sources. This should cause some production loss and potentially population loss. While this is minor per city, against large empires it adds up. If the enemy nation is democratic, this coupled with war weariness can add up for a tremendous effect and potentially a great sue for peace offer.

Your nuclear weapons strategy should be the same as the United States' during the Second World War, use only if necessary. This necessity can be varied, be it that your troops are far abroad and you get dogpiled, or that with your current forces only a defeat or Pyhrric victory is attainable. It can't be emphasized enough that damaging the enemy combat ability, and not their cities, is the first priority. No one wants white-elephant, completely polluted cities as a reward for hard conquest.

Also, once nukes come about, consider having a few subs with missiles scattered about, if the enemy hits your major cities and wipes out your warheads, you'll want to retaliate. Lastly, if you have a large nuclear stockpile and only have one remaining opponent, press the metaphorical big red button... with one AI, your diplomatic situation is irrelevant

Hope that helps!

11. bigFRANK

bigFRANK Chieftain

Use against the enemy fleet is a brilliant way of removing your enemies strike capabilities if they are threatening your coast, Ive taken out battle ships/carrier/destroyer fleets with a couple of tac nukes before. ICBM's fire one at your opponents capital and cut off the supply of luxuries/trade to cause them all kinds of disruption throughout the war, other than that fire nukes only at SOD's and strategic resources that you want to prevent your enemy using.