1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nuke tips?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Mowque, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

I rarely have a game last till the end so my endgame is weak. Are nukes worth the time and material you put into them? And if they are How is the best way to use them? tactical, strategl? What about the diplomatic end of it?

2. automator

automator King

my two cents are to only use nukes as a last resort. the civ you use them on hates you, and all other civs like you a lot less.

However, they do a real nice job of softening up the enemy.

3. NKVD

NKVD Cossack

as for me I saw that if you throw some at respected civs every civs will declare war to you. if you throw them at detested civs it seems to be ok (like togu). I never threw more than 6-7 nukes before every nations declare war at me...

4. ElJojo

ElJojo Chieftain

Nukes can be useful for a diplomatic victory, paradoxicaly. Votes are based on population. So if you quickly reduce the population of your opponents, your votes and your allies votes gain relative weight.
    Depending on the situation you should avoid bombing your competitor in the UN, because another will take its place. Bomb your competitor's allies. Sure they get angry but they would never have voted for you anyway.

And sometimes it helps getting peace. In a game today, I nuked Roma and Cumae and the romans asked for peace. I did not want to get involved in a real war so I accepted.

5. sylvanllewelyn

sylvanllewelyn Perma-newb

I just finished a very long game (1970, immortal, domination) because the world was almost a half-half split between me and Alexander, but I had :mad: NO OIL:mad: , while he was way ahead of me in tach. He also had a large population and more cities than me, so I switched to state property, turned all my towns into workshops, and constructed as many marines and artillery as I could until my spies saw that he began to build composite-tech units. Right after he is capable of building modern armour, I declared war on him, started building nukes in my cities, and when my troops got near (in a very damaged state, because he had some serious air force), I launched a massive nuclear arsenal on him, then attacked and razed his cities. Then it was just a matter of turning on the culture slider and resettling the land for the land requirement.

I'm not sure what people mean when they say that the AI is not very good at war. I'd say it depends on the personality matrix. If an aggressive AI senses that it had a numerical advantage, it will start attacking cities, and always razing them. It was an all-out, messy affair.